Gotrek in AoS

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/21/2018 at 9:48 PM, shinros said:

If I recall correctly Gotrek became the new Grimnir during the end times and then in AOS he shattered fighting the godbeast. Perhaps that is how is he now walking around because in warhammer gods don't exactly die well. 

It's never 100% clarified (although Gotrek showing up is a big one to me)

Bit Gotrek didn't become Grimnir but instead inherited his "doom" to fight chaos endlessly so that Grimnir could rejoin his people during the end times.(though he never seems to show up)

The Grimnir that was shattered appears to be the original one.

Personally I reckon Gotrek will get a power boost. Or retain his current one(beating a bloodthirster for for for and owning Belakor)

But I don't think he will be a doomseeker. I think he will be driven my a different path perhaps to find his friend who he unintentionally left do his death during the end times.

I am hoping for an awesome Grimnir chosen warrior model though.

My theory is that the dwarfs who were, however briefly, incarnates during the End Times became the new gods during Age of Sigmar. In Spear of Shadows, Grungni admits he cannot remember if Grombrindal is his ancestor or his descendant, which while a minor throwaway bit of lore, would mesh with the theory (since Snorri Whitebeard would have been an ancestor of Thorgrim Grudgebearer). Also, we know all the other incarnates became gods (except maybe Grimgor?): Tyrion, Teclis, Malekith, Sigmar, Nagash, Alarielle. Furthermore, Grimnir in the Age of Sigmar seemed to greatly resent the idea of being bound under an oath to Sigmar, to the point where he essentially killed himself immediately in order to be rid of said oath. Ungrim Ironfist, former incarnate of fire, was famously burdened by the twin oaths under which he labored: those of king and slayer. So upon becoming the Grimnir of this world, it makes sense that he would have an aversion to becoming ungrim (oathbound) again.

So Gotrek inherited Grimnirs doom, but not his status as ancestor god. And now that he is reborn, perhaps he will have a different doom to fulfill?

• 3 weeks later...

Amazon listing slightly updated with a finished looking cover:

714UsJGMFgL.jpg

The audiobook's still listed as being out on the 6th of November, meaning that if Gotrek gets a mini an accompanying rules like Eisenhorn did there's still a chance it goes on preorder the week before and I'm able to use (albeit an old model of) Gotrek at Warhammer Achievements! :D 

5 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

The audiobook's still listed as being out on the 6th of November, meaning that if Gotrek gets a mini an accompanying rules like Eisenhorn did there's still a chance it goes on preorder the week before and I'm able to use (albeit an old model of) Gotrek at Warhammer Achievements!

Hope to see him with rules on the table!!!!

5 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

714UsJGMFgL.jpg

The audiobook's still listed as being out on the 6th of November, meaning that if Gotrek gets a mini an accompanying rules like Eisenhorn did there's still a chance it goes on preorder the week before and I'm able to use (albeit an old model of) Gotrek at Warhammer Achievements! :D 

Love your optimism roughly as much as that cover! Currently (re)reading the whole franchise to get my hype up. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2018 at 12:51 PM, Double Misfire said:

714UsJGMFgL.jpg

Not being funny but if they make a model.

That stupid tyre slayer axe is coming straight off in favour of Gotrek proper axe!

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Still no sign of a Gotrek mini/warscroll. Not giving up hope though, maybe with a future novel after he's found Felix so they can be released as a pair. ?

Isn't GW still kind of on the fence about doing Novel heroes? Sure they finally made Eisenhorn, but many other novel centric characters are still model-less, or just simply have no updated rules since at a certain point GW decided to stop doing Novel characters. (something about not feeling right about having protagonists being on the table top or something? I dunno the real reason but it is a glaring fact that they stopped)

Yes I know Gotrek and Felix used to have models and rules, but so did Commissar Gaunt and the Tanith First and Only (arguably one of the biggest poster boys of 40k Novels, up there with Ciaphas Cain and the aforementioned Eisenhorn).

20 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

I've interviewed Brian Blessed! That's my claim to fame. He's very intense, and hard to direct in a conversation, he really goes his own way...

He does strike me as someone very full of energy plus I wager he's the kind that really gets into his roles when he plays/acts/voices them. 

Also what did you interview him about?

I worked at a theatre in South London and he was going to be in our pantomime that Christmas; we were going to have him doing a little feature in the brochure just answering some questions. He had a manager or publicist or minder or whatever with him, I remember that, and I remember him saying, with great intensity, "I will not be contained!" in answer to some mundane question about hobbies or something. I just had a standard list of questions and it was very hard to turn what he said into usable copy, but he was lovely to chat to and we overran by quite a while.

Unfortunately he then got quite ill that autumn and he wasn't able to be an evil wizard for us ?

Ahh a shame about him getting ill, but sounds like it was quite the experience. Plus I guess he's likely had so many standard "questions" asked of him that he probably enjoys the chance to have a bit of fun with an interviewer and be a bit more free, rather than curtailed to just the stock style answers. 

Yeah, I went off script too and ended up just asking him about science fiction and space exploration and what-have-you in the end, as I know he's interested in those things and I could potentially get more material that way (doesn't hurt that I like them too, but hey!).

They take debit cards too and honestly today your debit card is about as safe as your credit card when it comes to online crime and how banks deal with it. In the early days it was true that you wanted to only use a credit card, but today debits have quite a bit of protection from the banks. 

Though I do agree its odd they don't take Paypal yet

I'm 100% cool with Gotrek coming back, but I wish GW would also give us new heroic AOS characters of all races. Their Hero Journeys add so much to the world, as I learned from the Horus Heresy novels. Those heroes (and villians) really give diverse worlds a memorable underlying structure that I can remember.

I am generally ok with Old World heroes making the transition to the Mortal Realms (as long as there is a believable in-lore explanation for it), but man ... just let the poor stuntie go. Surely there must be a new hero for all the vertically challenged to worship, right?

Archived