Gotrek in AoS

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is quite awesome, just a shame it's audiodrama, would picked up in heartbeat if it was on paper!

Also I don't see a problem in having Gotrek back. Characters that had some relation to old divinities/Incarnates are suppose to be (demi-)Gods or whatever in the MR, so I don't see why Gotrek would be an exception. And you can't really dissociate AoS fluff from WHFB since the former is a continuation of the later... Keeping iconic characters is also a good way to maintain a certain fluff interest for quite a few people (like me!). I wouldn't be interested in this if the character was a new random loincloth mercenary dwarf instead of the most badass Slayer ever ;)

On 14/02/2018 at 6:06 AM, Envyus said:

I heavily disagree and am also of the opinon that the End Times was a horrible idea. There is nothing stopping them from bringing the Old World back at point they want. It's something I would do in a heartbeat if I could.

Rebooting the ruleset and adding new models was all they needed to relaunch interest. There was no need to throw out the old setting.

The Age of Sigmar setting is just too hard for me to relate to despite the material I have recently checked out about it.  Like I just read one of the older Gotrek and Felix books and one of the Recent Age of Sigmar books, and enjoyed the former so much more. The Stormcasts are not a good protagonist faction I have tried to give them a chance and I just can't relate to them. And the setting is just too big, having established borders is a good thing. Even 40k has a universe map. 

Even if they don't make a new rule set for it bringing the setting back would be a good move and would make lots of the people happy. But at the same time I would not kill the Age of Sigmar setting as it has it's own fans. 

Might as well add this is not nostalgia or anything panting my views. I only became really interested in fantasy and Age of Sigmar after Fantasy had been discontinued. Stuff like Vermintide and Total War Warhammer being my first primary exposure. 

The Endtimes weren’t for you they were a nod to those of us who had spent, in my case nigh on 30 years, with the Warhammer World (the whole of it not just the Old World that was just the bit centred on the Empire).  It was our chance to say good bye and I enjoyed them. 

It ain’t coming back WFB wasn’t selling AoS is.  Please stop bringing it up. There’s loads of stuff for it on the BL site still knock yourself out. “I never played WFB, but they should bring back the Old World” doesn’t hold much weight and quite frankly seems boardrline trolling. 

However I would concur that Skavenslayer is the best of the series and quite frankly probably the best WFB novel written. Not that it’s a WFB novel really it’s a WFRP one. 

5 hours ago, VBS said:

I wouldn't be interested in this if the character was a new random loincloth mercenary dwarf instead of the most badass Slayer ever ;)

Well, Gotrek was himself some random dwarf until the books got popular and expanded :) it takes only time. But then yes, he was quite good as a character, so it now depends on David Guymer.

• 2 months later...

Real shame this is an audiobook

On 2/15/2018 at 12:15 AM, Ollie Grimwood said:

Skavenslayer is the best of the series and quite frankly probably the best WFB novel written

Amen!

Im trying to get into AoS but I need normal characters, Felix was a perfect character to fall in love with the old world with. Everything before Orcslayer was an absolute treat! I reread those books almost every year .

We accept characters being dropped into new settings all the time. James Bond started out at the dawn of the Cold War and wound up in the War on Terror. Most of the major DC and Marvel heroes have been around more than half a century and undergone multiple reboots and retcons. We've had three different Spiderman origin movies in the last 16 years for heaven's sake. Gotrek could be a terrific way to explore the realms from the perspective of somebody to whom all of this is totally alien.

9 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

(Fyreslayers look much better in trousers)

Gotrek design is awesome. They should have went with that lol

But it does not show the Ur runes in them bottocks lol

2 hours ago, Sleboda said:

I'm glad some people are getting a favorite back, really. I just don't get the Gotrek hope.

I mean, he's an over-used, spectacularly unsuccessful Slayer. Yay. Good for him.

What's the big deal?

:shrug:

He's one of the longest running, most iconic characters in the setting from a much-beloved novel series (even if it did have a few duds) who became a literal god in his final appearance in the Old World. Furthermore, he's being voiced in an audiobook by a rather famous and respected voice actor. It's quite obvious why some people might be excited.

4 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

I get the reality of it.  I do.  I just am struggling to see how he got to this place.  Why was he popular in the first place?

Ah well, different strokes I suppose.

Bill King's original short stories and novels were incredibly charming, thorough and funny; and along with all the work he did on the 4th edition Warhammer background really set the tone and house style of, and established the setting for modern WFB's fluff and novels, and subsequently Age of Sigmar. Gotrek and Felix themselves (along with a strong supporting cast) are as iconic and likeable as any other characters in Games Workshop's stable; and during a period until very recently when GW seemed to be deliberately dialling back the humour in their publications, always managed to retain the core black humour and irony that made GW's settings unique.

Additionally, speaking as someone who has always identified as a Dwarf player first and foremost, it's worth pointing out that since 4th edition (the start of "modern WFB"), Dwarfs have always been a relatively static faction background-wise (gaming-wise too, but that's another story!), not being very proactive and not really doing much bar sitting in their strongholds waiting for the latest wave of greenskins/skaven to arrive, in part due to lacking the clear agenda driven protagonists, embodying and driving forward the setting's other main factions (Teclis/Tyrion, Grimgor, just about any named Vampire Counts character, ect), being left with a load of named kings and runelords, content to sit in strongholds, scribbling things in books. There was a solid effort made in the 8th edition Dwarf book to have Thorgrim as this very driven guy, out in the world working enthusiastically to cross off as many grudges as he could, and an overhauling and elevation to proper special character status for Belegar (a character Bill King himself has previous had turn up in a short story as a fusty old ****** ruling over a few tents unable to honour the memory of his ancestors), but this came out about a year before the End Times hit and was really too little too late. For many Dwarf players Gotrek and Felix's misadventures were rather different to (personally I'd say better than in every way), but the the closest we ever got to the conquests of a poster boy like Malekith or even Thanquol.

I was never a huge fan of the stunties, and read basically every Warhammer novel you can imagine from the late 90' till 2010 more or less (Brunner, Darkblade, Ambassador, Karl Hoche, The Blackhearts, Gilead, Vampire Wars, Times of Legends in full, Dead&Damned, Necromancer.... you name it. Even that terrible Wine of Dreams lol).

And tbh, nothing comes close to Gotrek and Felix. And more particularly the first 7 books. And have a soft spot for Skavenslayer which is the best Warhammer read ever (in case someone didn't get it yet :P). Clearly, there is something special about them if they have such impact. And not only the two, the whole series has a list of extremely emblematic and likeable characters, like Snorri that cracked me up or paranoid warp-addict Thanquol along his little helper Snitchtongue that made the perfect saturday morning villain duo. 

The whole black humour tone of the novels (as Double Misfire mentions) or sense of low fantasy (as offroadfury said) really helped redefine the concept of the Warhammer World for a lot of people. At least it did so for me. Those passages were they hang out in gritty taverns, fight in dark alleys or watch rats the size of dogs eating cats while walking around high-level districts in the Empire, yet also chillin' in Karag Dum slaying daemons gave a sense of  fantasy immersion that made me devour the books several times in a row as a young teen. More so when the stories were through Felix's eyes. It was a duality and tone that, for me, was the very essence of THE Warhammer World. Can't think of other novels that caputred the feel that way, even if there are a load I really like too.

Oh and since every incarnate/semi-divine being in WHFB is/probably will be present (or just forced into AoS for reasons like Morathi), Gotrek's return seems more than suitable. What's not to like?

4 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Thanks for the insights! That helps a lot.

Not to over simplify, but it sounds like he stands out as a welcome bit of humor in a rough world, giving people something to enjoy in a different way.

Makes sense.

About sums it up. And the the writing was very good, especially the first novels (or so i hear, havent read them all yet)

I’ve just about read all the realmgate novels and some are just... a bit flat story wise. And sometimes very close to being copies of each other :/ When the forst celestant ran through a corrupted realmgate into The realm of nurgle i lost my ******. When a couple of books later a second one did so... 

Archived