Gotrek in AoS

I've heard this mentioned by several Black Library writers but I've not seen much discussion about it.

How would Gotrek react to the world of AoS? Seeing as he is said to be THE Gotrek and not a reincarnation like the Mortarchs.

More importantly how is Thanquol going to react when he hears his nemesis has returned? 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SeanMaguire1991 said:

I've heard this mentioned by several Black Library writers but I've not seen much discussion about it.

How would Gotrek react to the world of AoS? Seeing as he is said to be THE Gotrek and not a reincarnation like the Mortarchs.

More importantly how is Thanquol going to react when he hears his nemesis has returned? 

Dunno, we will find out when the audio drama comes out.

6 hours ago, SeanMaguire1991 said:

1) As nothing in the Old World was capable of killing him, he'll probably be happy to know that in the MR there are larger nasty beasts supposedly capable of doing so. I expect something like: "Throw me the biggest ****** **** you have, I've being trying to die for the last couple of centuries!" 

2) Thanquol will sink back into his warpstone-snorting addiction to combat depression. He thought all was going to be alright in the MR, but didn't count on the little ****** to ruin his life once again. 

15 hours ago, SeanMaguire1991 said:

Seeing as he is said to be THE Gotrek and not a reincarnation like the Mortarchs.

The Mortarchs are not reincarnations. They are those who were back in the good old days.

9 hours ago, SeanMaguire1991 said:

It would be interesting to see how he'd react to the Fyreslayers seeing as they are devout followers of the AoS Grimnir and how they would react to him and his quest to find a worthy death.  

I am afraid Gotrek is late. They will regard him to be just one of those doomseekers they already have.

47 minutes ago, SeanMaguire1991 said:

Except the mortarchs are reborn from Nagash as altered beings so aren't the originals but rather Nagash's versions of them.

They always were Nagash's versions of them, surprisingly enough. And as it's pointed out in all sources, they have not changed.

15 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

@Menkeroth although I agree that he is late, I think he’ll eventually make his appearance as the representative of Grimnir in the mortal realms. 

which would be the shame, really. After all, being the grimwrath berzerker for a mortal is his peak.

3 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

A slayer is never late. He arrives precisely when the mightiest doom has turned up. ;) 

He is not the first there, and the mightiest doom is already over. Where was he when Chaos pwned the world? And he will not be able to stop Archaon from destroying the new world like he couldn't prevent destroying of the old. And Archaon, it seems, has considerably grown in power and intelligence, acquiring the taste for ending worlds actually.

2 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

He is not the first there, and the mightiest doom is already over. Where was he when Chaos pwned the world? And he will not be able to stop Archaon from destroying the new world like he couldn't prevent destroying of the old. And Archaon, it seems, has considerably grown in power and intelligence, acquiring the taste for ending worlds actually.

Complete tangent, but this makes me think actually..

Does Archaon in any official sources ever recall or acknowledge having successfully destroyed the Old World in AoS? I'm not 100% sure I've ever heard it addressed, myself.

59 minutes ago, Haanz said:

Complete tangent, but this makes me think actually..

Does Archaon in any official sources ever recall or acknowledge having successfully destroyed the Old World in AoS? I'm not 100% sure I've ever heard it addressed, myself.

They do in his battletome. After the destruction of the old world he went to the realm of chaos and through it he went to conquer and destroy other realms and worlds. 

2 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

@Menkeroth Gotrek won’t be a mortal in aos ?

considering the fact how many immortals we have already, this is a shame. But whatever.

1 hour ago, Haanz said:

Yes, as shinros has already said. Archaon, it seems, is very fond of his title of Exalted Marschall of the Apocalypse and Ender of Worlds, which he has proved time and again before arriving to the Mortal Realms. He has made quite a career, has he not? 

1 hour ago, Menkeroth said:

considering the fact how many immortals we have already, this is a shame. But whatever.

Yes, as shinros has already said. Archaon, it seems, is very fond of his title of Exalted Marschall of the Apocalypse and Ender of Worlds, which he has proved time and again before arriving to the Mortal Realms. He has made quite a career, has he not? 

I sense a hint of despair in your writing. There is always room in the Grandfathers garden for converts you know. 

6 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

They always were Nagash's versions of them, surprisingly enough. And as it's pointed out in all sources, they have not changed.

I know Nagash mentions how all undead are tied to his will as he is the father of Necromancy but that's not what I meant.

they all died in the End times, Gotrek didn't die. They were then resurrected to serve Nagash when he came to the Mortal Realms hence why I refer to them as reincarnations. 

Now that I think About it Gotrek truly is the unluckiest Slayer ever seeing as he outlived virtually everyone in the Old World (sans the chaos Champions).

41 minutes ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

I sense a hint of despair in your writing. There is always room in the Grandfathers garden for converts you know. 

Curiosity begets knowledge, knowledge begets curiosity. Only great Tzeentch sates both. :) 

1 minute ago, SeanMaguire1991 said:

they all died in the End times, Gotrek didn't die. They were then resurrected to serve Nagash when he came to the Mortal Realms hence why I refer to them as reincarnations. 

Well, in this regard you are right, I agree.

1 minute ago, SeanMaguire1991 said:

Now that I think About it Gotrek truly is the unluckiest Slayer ever seeing as he outlived virtually everyone in the Old World (sans the chaos Champions).

Well said :D and anyway, it's a welcome return of an old hero anyway. I would prefer more, though, to introduce more newer characters instead of returning the old ones, but it suffices. Although one could hardly imagine Gotrek without his companion, right?

32 minutes ago, shinros said:

If I recall correctly Gotrek became the new Grimnir during the end times and then in AOS he shattered fighting the godbeast. Perhaps that is how is he now walking around because in warhammer gods don't exactly die well. 

He went with Grimnir he didn’t become him. Although it’s down to how you perceive the end of the book tbf. 

I took it that before and during that fight between Grimnir and Gotrek, that Gotrek was being tested. His loyalty to Felix and his strength at arms meant he passed the test.  Gotreks status as the chosen of Grimnir was validated and one day he will act in Grimnirs stead in the mortal realms. 

Who knows, but it is interesting to speculate. 

Gotrek achieved his Doom, the greatest doom of any slayer and took Grimnir’s place holding back the Daemons in the realm of Chaos. Something he did in part to release Grimnir to help his people on other worlds. 

He needs to be left alone his story was a good one but it ended. It’s been nearly 3 years its time to move on, new characters and tales await. 

2 hours ago, Menkeroth said:

Well said :D and anyway, it's a welcome return of an old hero anyway. I would prefer more, though, to introduce more newer characters instead of returning the old ones, but it suffices. Although one could hardly imagine Gotrek without his companion, right?

That's actually something I've thought about. Would he miss Felix? 

1 hour ago, SeanMaguire1991 said:

That's actually something I've thought about. Would he miss Felix? 

We hardly ever see Gotrek's POV so who knows. ;) 

Beyond that, entirely depends on who's writing him. To the bet of my memory David Guymer's Gotrek was so detached from Felix during Kinslayer and Slayer, and the way dwarfs were portrayed in those books so alien that Felix began to doubt whether they were ever friends at all, so I wouldn't bet on it.

Bill King's Gotrek would probably be more jealous of Felix than anything, Felix having suffered a mighty doom at the hands of the Chaos Gods along with the rest of the world.

(God I miss actual slayers, they were so distinctly GW and awesome. Fyreslayers/generic warrior culture #746 are utter bollocks by comparison)

5 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

We hardly ever see Gotrek's POV so who knows. ;) 

Beyond that, entirely depends on who's writing him. To the bet of my memory David Guymer's Gotrek was so detached from Felix during Kinslayer and Slayer, and the way dwarfs were portrayed in those books so alien that Felix began to doubt whether they were ever friends at all, so I wouldn't bet on it.

Bill King's Gotrek would probably be more jealous of Felix than anything, Felix having suffered a mighty doom at the hands of the Chaos Gods along with the rest of the world.

(God I miss actual slayers, they were so distinctly GW and awesome. Fyreslayers/generic warrior culture #746 are utter bollocks by comparison)

Their relationship had developed into a close bond over the course of the books, but Gotrek was angry with Felix. Also after Snorri, Gotrek wasn’t the same dude.

But Grimnir tested that friendship, he stated that Felix needed to die, and Gotrek showed his loyalty to his friend and fought his own god. 

Archived