Which should you choose Overtyrant or Tyrant as general? for tournament 2000p

Overtyrant of Destruction

Right now, good morning from Sweden!

I'll have a tournament 2000p next week.

I've tried both Overtyrant and Tyrant as general for my army and now I'm unsure what it's prefered to choose one of them.

My army list looks:
Destruction allegiances (I know there is Moonclan, Orruks etc but all I want is Ogors theme! they are beautiful aren't they?
Overtyrant / Tyrant - Ravager, Battle Brew
2x Huskard on Thundertusk

12x Ogors
2x3 Ogors
9x Icefall Yhetees
1 Gorger

If you've seen what Overtyrant can do, his command abilitiy is amazing to bribe!! His attacks aren't stupid well, his Crown subtract enemy units within 14 of him. His weak point is his movement.

And now Tyrant, I'm using Great Gutgouger weapon (the model is Bragg the Gutsman), his attacks can do great if I've lucky rolled. Why it has make me wanting him as general is his command ability, Bully of the First Degree, i'll pick my 12 ogors so I don't have worry about battleshock test and next turn he also can use Inspiring Presence to Yhetees. His movement is great and if he lucky got great Big Name it will makes him a lot better.

My question is if you are as me, what would you choose Overtyrant or Tyrant? His bribe to subtract -1 hit on unit when they will attack on eg. Yhetees in combat phase (-2 hit then ftw!) but the king is too slow, or would you rather choose Tyrant? They cost same 160p.

I hope you will answer as soon as possible before I'll make my descision and send my army list, thanks!
Sorry for my grammar if it looks crazy.

Kind regards
Fredrik

tyrant.jpg

warhammer-aos-ogre-kingdoms-en.jpg

So you only really have 2 targets for the Tyrants CA on, the big ogre and the big Yehti units. The Overtyrants ability doesn't actually look like it USES the command ability so you could just IP every turn instead, that said the tyrant is a bit of a boss.

What's the points difference?

Depends on the battleplan in my opinion. The overturn wins out in most cases because his attacks are basically an artillery barrage barrage and he has a global, quite useful command ability. Problem is he will not get into combat until turn 3/4 probably, and your opponent will turn every gun they have on him to kill him before he gets there. 

However, you can work this into your battle plans. Alongside the Huskards, you have 3 very big scary models that your opponent will want dead, so you can use them to screen each other and draw fire while your nice fa(s)t ogres and yhetees close in to smash skulls and grab objectives. 

The normal Tyrants probably the safe bet though, since you can reliably get him into combat and the great gut gouger  is nothing to sneeze at (combined with the Giantbreaker big name to eat monster heroes like cupcakes) but if you want to take risks and use distraction units to distract from your distractions then go for the overtyrant. 

Best of Luck! 

11 minutes ago, Mincemeat said:

The overturn wins out in most cases because his attacks are basically an artillery barrage barrage and he has a global, quite useful command ability. Problem is he will not get into combat until turn 3/4 probably, and your opponent will turn every gun they have on him to kill him before he gets there. 

When you compare him to a Tyrant he's actually not that much stronger the comparison is

• 4 Attacks 3+/3+/-2/d6
  • 4 Attacks 3+/3+/-2/3
  • 3 Attacks 3+/3+/-2/3(6)

Which actually is neither here nor there. If you pull the +1 to wound on turn he charged the tyrant is suddenly doing 6 damage per hit on a 5 or 6 to wound which is pretty bonkers. Ontop of that the Tyrant has his 12" pistol shots which aren't shabby either, they are only 1 attack short of a Gorechoppa for a unit of brutes which is generally considered to be a vicious weapon.

1 hour ago, EMMachine said:

Do you have the model of Greasus Goldtooth because this should be the model for the overtyrant, and the point why the model is this slow (after it's a compendium warscroll) . In all other cases I would use the Tyrant.

Of course I do, thats why I love this model! You can see the picture I've attached a file of him. Tyrant okay, thank you!

13 minutes ago, Malakree said:

So you only really have 2 targets for the Tyrants CA on, the big ogre and the big Yehti units. The Overtyrants ability doesn't actually look like it USES the command ability so you could just IP every turn instead, that said the tyrant is a bit of a boss.

What's the points difference?

Yeah, what I understand with Overtyrant's CA is that he has a choice to choose IP or his bribe. thats a problem if my models in unit has fled which cost a lot, but when he has bribed right to the enemy unit it could help my units to alive in some situations. Overtyrant and Tyrant still cost 160p and have 9 wounds.

Tyrant's unique CA is what I need so that I don't have worry about my ogors and next round Yhetees will get IP. I've tried play some battles with my friends, without "immune to flee" does matter much for my units, they most have bravery 6 and per model has 4 wounds ugh.

But Overtyrant also is cool to use him in battleplan, really unique for AoS tho he has died during the end times. :D 

13 minutes ago, Mincemeat said:

Depends on the battleplan in my opinion. The overturn wins out in most cases because his attacks are basically an artillery barrage barrage and he has a global, quite useful command ability. Problem is he will not get into combat until turn 3/4 probably, and your opponent will turn every gun they have on him to kill him before he gets there. 

However, you can work this into your battle plans. Alongside the Huskards, you have 3 very big scary models that your opponent will want dead, so you can use them to screen each other and draw fire while your nice fa(s)t ogres and yhetees close in to smash skulls and grab objectives. 

The normal Tyrants probably the safe bet though, since you can reliably get him into combat and the great gut gouger  is nothing to sneeze at (combined with the Giantbreaker big name to eat monster heroes like cupcakes) but if you want to take risks and use distraction units to distract from your distractions then go for the overtyrant. 

Best of Luck! 

If you recognize the tournament GothCon, we will random play a of six scenarios by GHB17,  the player who wins gets 14 points, they also have a choice of 8 side-missions, if the player finished with the sido mission will get 3 points, if the enemy player lost sido-mission will give the player 3 more points. If some of they won a minor victory will get 10 points and so on.

There is a scenario which needs hero or monster to control to achieve the objectives, which Overtyrant isn't great at.

I guess that Tyrant is the best choice, but sometimes my heart warns me that I must choose the model who I like most... :P Thank you for the reply!

overtyrant.jpg

23 minutes ago, Malakree said:

When you compare him to a Tyrant he's actually not that much stronger the comparison is

• 4 Attacks 3+/3+/-2/d6
  • 4 Attacks 3+/3+/-2/3
  • 3 Attacks 3+/3+/-2/3(6)

Which actually is neither here nor there. If you pull the +1 to wound on turn he charged the tyrant is suddenly doing 6 damage per hit on a 5 or 6 to wound which is pretty bonkers. Ontop of that the Tyrant has his 12" pistol shots which aren't shabby either, they are only 1 attack short of a Gorechoppa for a unit of brutes which is generally considered to be a vicious weapon.

Oh this, I've not thought about Big Name - Brawlerguts with Great Gutgouger, thats great combined indeed. :) Thanks!

6 hours ago, Overtyrant of Destruction said:

Oh this, I've not thought about Big Name - Brawlerguts with Great Gutgouger, thats great combined indeed. :) Thanks!

Yeah, I'm running a Tyrant with Might is Right and Battle Brew to stack those +1s to wound. He does damage 6 reliably them. 

12 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Yeah, I'm running a Tyrant with Might is Right and Battle Brew to stack those +1s to wound. He does damage 6 reliably them. 

12 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Can you definitely take Compendium stuff at this event? I'd personally take the Tyrant with Might is Right regardless :-)

Yeah, if at this time I used Battle Brew, lucky to have Brawlerguts as Big Name and Might is Right, he has then his status: 3"/3/2+/2+(reroll to wounds)/-2/3(6). He actually does 6 damage if dices rolled at 3+. However if I face against the monster and I lucky have Giantbreaker, with brew and might is right, he does to damage 8 at to wound 4+.

Compendium, yeah Ogre Kingdoms have its pitched battle profile in GHB17 (updated by GW at its site). I can use him Overtyrant if I only play as Destruction allegiance because that Ogre Kingdoms doesn't have any allies.

However, I have already made my decision that I'll use Tyrant at this time, Bragg the Gutsman! That model I like so much.

However thats stupid that Bragg the Gutsman has converted to Maneater according in Ogre Kingdoms PDF but not Tyrant which Golgfag does, and if you see Tyrants melee weapons list, Great Gutgouger is actually only the one model Bragg wears. I suspect that GW has forgotten to make that he can also be as a Tyrant. The matter is that I know in most of events and so on they don't have problem with it. He still looks badass Tyrant in my option and so I hope you do ;) 

1 hour ago, Overtyrant of Destruction said:

Yeah, if at this time I used Battle Brew, lucky to have Brawlerguts as Big Name and Might is Right, he has then his status: 3"/3/2+/2+(reroll to wounds)/-2/3(6). He actually does 6 damage if dices rolled at 3+. However if I face against the monster and I lucky have Giantbreaker, with brew and might is right, he does to damage 8 at to wound 4+.

Just so you know mate it's 7 damage, page 6 of the FAQ:

Q: If I add a modifier (e.g. +1) to a characteristic that is also 
being multiplied (e.g. x2), do I apply the modifier before or after 
the multiplier?
A: In Warhammer Age of Sigmar, modifiers are applied 
after any multipliers. Note that this means that an ability 
that multiplies a unit’s Move characteristic does so 
before any modifiers for running are applied.

7 damage is still nice though :-)

Let us know how it goes!

58 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Just so you know mate it's 7 damage, page 6 of the FAQ:

Q: If I add a modifier (e.g. +1) to a characteristic that is also 
being multiplied (e.g. x2), do I apply the modifier before or after 
the multiplier?
A: In Warhammer Age of Sigmar, modifiers are applied 
after any multipliers. Note that this means that an ability 
that multiplies a unit’s Move characteristic does so 
before any modifiers for running are applied.

7 damage is still nice though :-)

Let us know how it goes!

Oh thats right, a lot thanks! :D 
Tonight I'll play against my friend who plays as Fyreslayers 2000p. I will reply this later when I've finished with the tournament next week :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I've played the tournament and it has gone great for my part!

Total of players were 18, and I actually came at third place with 44 points, with this army list as I wrote.

First of the match was Duality of Death, I was played against Mixed Order (the most of freeguilds and some dryads), I won with the full point 20-0, the major victory, the sido-mission and that player lost his sido-mission.

Second of the match was Knife to the Heart against Flesh-Eater Courts, I won with a minor victory but I lost my sido mission and he won his. 10-10

Final third of the match was Starstrike against Seraphon, I won with major victory but lost sido-mission and he won his so 14-6.

All of the matches were ****** fun to play with them, and also nice guys :-) Especially the last match was fun with the guy who has humour and was exciting at the late of rounds etc.

The player who has come to first place was Stormcast, who got full point 60.

the second place is Khorne Bloodbound. Dont remember how many points he got.

The third is me Mixed Destruction (Ogors theme!) :D 

Tell me if you want some pictures of the tournament, then I can upload them! ;)

41 minutes ago, heywoah_twitch said:

pics! 

All right! I'll upload some pitctures I've got! ;) 

aos08.jpg.939eadd8b7c6c353d7202407805eea1e.jpg

Mixed Destruction vs Mixed Order

aos03.jpg.be4998c0ac88ddb951929db94d4ca28d.jpgaos07.jpg.85364bb0dbb8b01d2ad05212dc262d11.jpgaos02.jpg.402872016d7ca8b78406c666fd00ebb3.jpgaos06.jpg.4aeb9a33145f2f8f0497e3455a700106.jpg

Ogors with Pairs of Weapons, 8 of 12

aos05.jpg.54b7af076f73dcf3627b7e9ce73f3fa1.jpg

Greatswords to left, Celestial Hurricanum to right

aos01.jpg.4e483e1ab4e5f1aa40fc7b8f82fdb261.jpgaos18.jpg.5563d176b897018bdfc46152d1a6a41b.jpg

Mixed Destruction vs Flesh-Eater Courts

aos16.jpg.8e2889d355bc3a1cbdb7e879ac057e52.jpg

It seems they have found some smell of the food in that house..

aos14.jpg.c7ef18c5f2d426e6838d3d8e9b7fac86.jpg

Tyrant with Great Gutgouger (Bragg the Gutsman)

aos17.jpg.a9c710e36d7a340c14e0f0465f5c7977.jpg

2 Terrorgheists and 1 Abhorrant Ghould King on Zombie Dragon, the fourth Zombie Dragon.

aos20.jpg.2732ba71de3039d19908fa72fe714712.jpgaos09.jpg.9ab5bf0857584b5962ae4b00515eeb96.jpg

Ghoul King was planned to charge but he has failed to charge. Ogors were staying for the objective with at least 5 models.

aos19.jpg.fa91855a59e6b2027b987b62368e8d19.jpg

Huskard on Thundertusk with Blood Vulture

aos21.jpg.13e778236969896c745ab9a9a55a2ecf.jpg

Too shock to face against monsters.. and they are undead ugh.

aos22.jpg.8e4c7be321f334c533afa67270632cd1.jpg

1 Zombie Dragon has been killed by Thundertusk, however later (havent taken picture) Tyrant has killed Terrorgheist, he has wounded him total 12 damage with just 2 of his attacks!

aos10.jpg.219913143e3dbbd021dfccf9c26f5bef.jpg

Mixed Destruction vs Seraphon

aos13.jpg.63caf84e0b2f2b6163d4a868c674de8f.jpgaos12.jpg.e68b10b2c9cbd25799acf5ed7808e751.jpg

Sorry that I haven't got many pictures for the last battle but yeah.. you can see where Seraphon was going to be gone ;)

Hope you've enjoyed to see these pictures :D 

Archived