Malign Portents and The Bad Moon

Xpress

Was just curious after watching Warhammer Weekly last night talking about what to expect from Malign Portents and particularly from the various factions and when they came to Destruction they said something I found to be very interesting. They briefly mentioned how Moon Clan and The Bad Moon could tie into all this as The Bad Moon being a possible portent and since Moonclan are basically always hoped up on mushrooms that they in particular might see things that other races don't.   

So what are your opinions on if and how they might be tied into all this

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Grendel said:

Too blurry to read. 

Not really...

Keywords: Destruction, Grot, Moonclan, Hero, Wizard (cast one, unbind one), [name]

Defcap Mushroom:
Once per battle use, no attacks but you can re-roll failed casts and unbinding with this model and can cast an extra spell until your next Hero phase. 

Hallucinogenetic Stupor: 
5++ save.

Spore Squigh:
-1 to hit rolls for attacks that target this model.

Magic, Spore Maws:
Cast [7], each enemy unit within d6" suffers d3 Mortal wounds.

Command Ability, Mouthpiece of Mork:
Charge with Grot or Orruk unit wholly within 18" in the next charge phase even if the unit ran or retreated earlier that turn. 

How good this all is in Matched play depends on costs. Don't think it will be a likely general, do think it's a decent additional Wizard hero, because of the Mushroom effect.

Mhmm. I don't find the model that spectacular. Honestly I had hoped for more for the shaman. Also the command ability only works for greenskins. Is Destruction now all about Orruks and Grots?

They also said that the Shaman is pretty resilient. But I don't know which use has the 5+ wound save if the model only has a 6+ normal save. The thing is if the shaman gets into battle he is dead. Even if he has a 5+ ward save.

I think there are a lot more and better spellcasters in Destruction. Also the spell isnt that spectacular because it has a D6 range.

I mean are they serious? The model looks really nice but it seems like it will have no real use on the battlefield. They could at least have given us a permanent mushroom double spell ability and not once per battle. :-(

38 minutes ago, Infeston said:

Also the command ability only works for greenskins. Is Destruction now all about Orruks and Grots?

There was an inkling this was the case due to the way his trailer was done. Ogors getting shafted a second time in such a short period doesn't bode well for them.

39 minutes ago, Infeston said:

I mean are they serious? The model looks really nice but it seems like it will have no real use on the battlefield. They could at least have given us a permanent mushroom double spell ability and not once per battle. :-(

He will be a pretty amazing general for a generic greenskinz army or moonclan specifically because of his retreat and charge. Gives you a great way to get places the opponent doesn't want you to be, also potentially amazing with the Rampaging destroyers, trigger the charge then retreat so you can charge again.

42 minutes ago, Infeston said:

They also said that the Shaman is pretty resilient. But I don't know which use has the 5+ wound save if the model only has a 6+ normal save. The thing is if the shaman gets into battle he is dead. Even if he has a 5+ ward save.

5++ and -1 to hit actually makes him more tanky than you would think, 4 wounds does suck tho. I guess it depends on what his points cost is, I'd suspect 80? Also he basically confirms a new Moonclan battletome doesn't he? I can't see them not releasing new models with spore squigs everywhere, he has all the classic hallmarks of a new AoS release complete with powercreep. Army wide -1 hit is definitely what you would call power creep aswell.

@Malakree I guess I am just frustrated that they left out Ogors again even though they teased the Harbringers as relevant for the whole grand alliances. I want more ogor love. I hope you can understand my frustration a little bit. I just don't want everything in Destruction to just focus on greenskins.

But if they would release a squid-based moonclan army with new kind of squigs like the squig on the base of the shaman model I would be really glad. I think then I could also forgive them their neglection of ogors. :-)

But at the moment I feel frustrated about the rules of the model.

@Malakree I guess I am just frustrated that they left out Ogors again even though they teased the Harbringers as relevant for the whole grand alliances. I want more ogor love. I hope you can understand my frustration a little bit. I just don't want everything in Destruction to just focus on greenskins.

But if they would release a squig-based moonclan army with new kind of squigs like the squig on the base of the shaman model I would be really glad. I think then I could also forgive them their neglection of ogors. :-)

But at the moment I feel frustrated about the rules of the model.

@Malakree I also don't want to be all negative and see the  positive things. Maybe I expected too much. Just want to get the frustration out of my system by writing about it. I even own an Ironjawz army, so I could use him for this army. I just had hoped that I could use him also in the Beastclaw army. I sadly rarely play with my Ogors anymore.

I am honest. The only thing I really like about Moonclan are the squigs. I am not a big fan of grots in black coats, but if they release more cool and different squigs with cool and exciting rules I am sold. :-)

Really disappointed by the fact he can only cast one spell and his warscroll spell requires you to be ultra close (and therefore almost certainly dead very quickly) 

its a a shame as it’s a beautiful model (yes I am calling a Grot awesome dont tell anyone else!) but should be pointed at 80pts so while weak at those points still worth inclusion 

I like most of this guys they gave him, two things that stand out to me is tre bravery, was hoping for a decent number considering hes meant to be off his nut on mushrooms, to make good use of Bellowing Tyrant. His spell, D6” range.... wat. Ill probably stick him in the middle of a unit of grots, a row or two back and hope I role high enough to reach whatever the grots are in combat with. 

See it this way, at least there is some purpose to this model ;) But yeah largely only as another Wizard which you will have to leave some space for in terms of the Matched play Hero count.

In general non of the Heralds are super exciting. The one for Order can still actually do a lot of silly things (thake X Bolt Throwers, go to town). The one for Nighthaunt is what I expected. This one is mediocre, the one for Chaos is 90% useless as it only works on Slaves to Darkness and even then does something Sayl does much better ;) . 

Cave Shaman might be a viable General for pure Moonclan because his command ability can practically guarantee a first turn sort of alpha strike with squigs (big or little) or whatever, compensating for the rampage nerf impacts on moonclan a bit.  Also great to retreat the squig to attack others.  That said, the Boss w squig’s i’m da boss command ability is great and makes a hard decision point (one unit 20” wound rolls of 6 do double damage).

I think all three moonclan heroes have similar survivability (6 wounds 5+ reroll vs.  4 wds 5+ rr tricky debuff to hit vs.  4 wds 6+ 5++ -1 to hit).   Cave Shaman’s -1 to hit helps with shooting though too, along with his mortal save might also push him to be most survivable of the lot. Other trade offs are damage output vs. strength of command / spells.

I’ve been thinking about running a 4+ shaman army partly to maximize rampage move opportunities and the cave shaman could be a good fit for general.  Maybe put him on a balewind to help protect from melee and double his short range spell. Probably give him the talisman for extra survivability and there don’t seem to be any better artifact options for a non-combat characters at this point.

None of the moonclan heroes seem to be designed to last through a game - all fitting the suicidally homicidal theme.

anyway, I don’t have a clear decision on best general except that boss on cave squig is probably not the best choice but I really want to run him for the squig hopper move support from his command ability ??

On 1/26/2018 at 4:43 AM, Infeston said:

But if they would release a squig-based moonclan army with new kind of squigs like the squig on the base of the shaman model I would be really glad.

We’re all hoping for it!!!  Oddly, if they do my personal hope is that they give us new squig options (squigling swarms, and whatever) but not invalidate what we have already meaning not a squig only army and keeping the grots and fanatics in the mix.  If pattern holds, could get one or two more new model types on top of cave shaman and that’ll be enough to release a battletome!

Archived