AoS Nurgle Painting Blog

Nox

With the new Nurgle releases I've been inspired to dust off some mothballed Nurgle units I've had lying around for some time and with that I figured a painting blog would be fun.

Here are the models I currently have which I will be painting up in the coming months.

• Glottkin
  • 10 Plaguebearers
  • Herald of Nurgle
  • 3 Nurglings
  • 3 Plague drones
  • Gutrot Spume
  • Lord Of Plagues
  • 10 Blight Kings

For once in my life I will do my best to avoid going out and buying a bunch of new models and then succumb to some sort of painting depression brought on by having a seemingly insurmountable heap of models to paint (fingers crossed) So I intend to paint everything I have above before getting a new and juicy Great Unclean One for instance.

I'm a very casual gamer but I do enjoy a game or two with friends so I thought I'd start painting things in an order that would allow me to start fielding the army as soon as possible. So I'm thinking I will try out a 1000 pts army containing Glottkin, Gutrot, 10 Blight kings and 10 Plaguebearers. I suspect this is probably a pretty bad list so if you have suggestions on other list made with the above units I'd love to hear about it.

Now enough talk and let's start of with the first pics of the blog:

I started off with Nurglings because I wanted to get a feel for the painting scheme I will be using for the green flesh on my Plaguebeares and my Glottkin:
nurgling_front_3.png.58f586f34d52fdf6f8259696ab9635a8.pngnurgling_back_3.png.707fffcb470bee8baa9b694bc3fef217.png

For the skin I started off with Ogryn Camo which I followed up with a recess shade of Biel-Tan Green. Then after a glaze of Waywatcher Green I layered Ogryn Camo back on (here it helps to thin your paint with Lahmian medium to make it easier to get a smooth result) then I added Flayed One Flesh to the Ogryn Camo mix to smooth highlights on open areas of the skin like the top of the head, shoulders etc. Finally I did a finer edge highlight of Flayed One Flesh.

Next up will be five of the Blight Kings so stay tuned for that =)

Edited by Nox
  • Like 16

Thanks guys =) Yeah I'm trying to copy the 'eavy metal style. I enjoy trying to figure what paints were used etc.

2 hours ago, Tzaangor Management said:

Did you paint the axe head's cutting surface all silver / steel or is it the way it's catching the light? 

It's mostly because it's catching the light though it is fairly void of any corrosion since I figure the cutting surface would be quite worn from use =) Now that you mention it however maybe I should add some blood on it.

I edited my earlier post now with cropped photos that better fit this forum format.

Edited by Nox
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Gr3g said:

What a painting style ! I love the colors and how you apply them ! Very good job !!

May I ask you for a tutorial for the Blightking ?

These miniatures are amazing, please continue ;)

I'll see what I can do about a tutorial ;)

• Like 1

On 1/9/2018 at 10:53 AM, Tzaangor Management said:

Ironically a very clean painting style for Nurgle...

I like clean! Even for Nurgle. Agrax bathing  was always one of the things that put me off Nurgle, and I finally found my own take on that to start with this new excellent release.

OP's Nurgle is my kind of Nurgle!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turragor said:

I like clean! Even for Nurgle. Agrax bathing  was always one of the things that put me off Nurgle, and I finally found my own take on that to start with this new excellent release.

OP's Nurgle is my kind of Nurgle!

Thanks, I love your candy themed nurgle though =)

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the kind words!

Not too much progress last few days but I got the rest of the Blight Kings crew built and I've almost finished the pale green flesh, only missing the final highlight really.

bk_wip_01.gif.405a3cabb1a423c385d39b20a9d0ef73.gifbk_wip_02.jpg.c00c021e310db74945760df0b3b8248b.jpgbk_wip_03.jpg.3502d22d9e51dad6083e4b46f1b1009b.jpg

Hopefully I will be able to finish these guys up during the weekend.

Edited by Nox
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Circus of Paint said:

I'd love to know what paints you used for that turquoise armour (and that green you used to tint that shoulder pad horn)!

for the armour I used the following steps:

Basecoat: Incubi Darkness
Recess Shade: Nuln Oil
Edge Highlight: Kabalite Green
Edge Highlight: Sybarite Green
Edge Highlight: Gauss Blaster Green

The green slime is Moot Green. I also used Moot Green mixed with Lahmian Medium to tint the base of the shoulder pad horn.  I then went back in and painted a few thin layers of Biel-Tan Green shade in the recesses of the horn to make it appear a bit more natural.

After I've finished this group I aim to write a more comprehensive guide to painting with pictures that better illustrate the different stages.

Edited by Nox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/01/2018 at 8:47 PM, Nox said:

After I've finished this group I aim to write a more comprehensive guide to painting with pictures that better illustrate the different stages.

Can't wait for it and to see the new blightkings !! 

• 4 weeks later...

Been slacking a bit with the painting the past weeks and on top of that paused my Nurgle while I helped my brother out with some quick color studies for his iron jawz:

orruk_color_test.jpg.19cde886c0babba39aa6b66e1a0fa56e.jpg

After those were finished I moved onto completing my first unit of Blight Kings:
BlightKings_group_front.jpg.e4b8c1c7473b5eb719a7197f6c700d33.jpgBlightKings_duo_1.jpg.9ec2c2d5753c9ef5601c940e6ddcc821.jpgBlightKings_duo_2.jpg.28477b8f726aea98e70bd084c3b72575.jpg

I have taken some pictures along the way and I will hopefully find some time this weekend to write up a mini  stage-by-stage tutorial on these guys.

Overall I'm quite happy with this unit but I got a lot to learn about painting stylized metal using metallics. I did to not achieve enough depth with my brass areas and my silver could be a bit more crisp. This project really made realize I probably have a need for gloss nuln oil and reikland fleshshade to add some depth to my metallics without making them dull. 

Next up I'm painting three plague drones which I hope will a bit less complex than these blight kings to paint =)

Edited by Nox
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Gotten started with my plague drones. Colours might look crazy now but they will be more desaturated after shading and highlighting is done. Thinking of doing the eyes in a different colour, yellow perhaps. Any suggestions?

5a8581da15a72_Photo2018-02-15134258.jpg.6ba5724d6edaf85ef41f647f5249cab0.jpgG

• Like 3