Review - Maggotkin of Nurgle - Rotbringers Scrolls Pg3

Chris Tomlin

1 hour ago, James McPherson said:

And he gives Pestilens some much needed extra magic and healing boosts (plague winds works on anything Nurgle Keyword).

The spell does not return dead models to the unit.  Healing an injured plague furnace would be very nice however as rabid fever is a great prayer.

I think allying in a GUO to Pestilens is going to become so so powerful now, it turns your battleline into movement 9, bravery 14, 40 wounds  for 240pts, yes pls.

How are you buffing to bravery 14?  Plague furnace + inspiring terrain?  If that is the case, I don't think that will be consistent and it is more likely to assume bravery 8-10 when taking a battleshock test.

With either Plague Toads or a  GUO as your two best allies options

I don't agree with the assessment of "best allies" here.  I've had success with Skryre allies. (2 mortars, warp lightning, and drill team for a movement tactic)

The Bell on the new GUO solves all Pestilens movement problems

The bell buff is very good, but saying it solves "all" the movement problems is not true.  The drill team provides a much needed deep strike movement option.  Also, the GUO will not be buffing every unit of plague monks in the army, so it's unfair to say that all your plague monk units are move 9".

The inability to summon plaguebearers destroys the particular army that I have been playing, which stings me.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Afternoon guys,

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm pleased that the time taken to write this appears to have been worthwhile haha!

It might be tomorrow now I mention the Warscrolls, we'll see. In a way that's less interesting as they are all freely available. Still, I'd like to share my thoughts and have been having fun with lists!

15 hours ago, tolstedt said:

Removing ability to summon demons totally destroys the pestilens list I have been playing!  My heart is broken.

Yeh it's certainly an interesting move. I do think this new mechanic is better in the vacuum of this book. However, it clearly has wider reaching connotations I agree. 

Will be interesting to see how they tackle summoning in Death and if we will see a change going forwards.

15 hours ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Thanks for doing this write up, brilliant! If you’re able to answer: can daemon princes be taken as part of the Tallyband?

No worries mate, glad you liked it. No Daemon Prince in the Tallyband I'm afraid though.

15 hours ago, Aginor said:

Thanks for the review.

Although I really hate how they advance further into the direction of Mortal Wound spam.

We have two kinds of armies. The good ones which deal mortal wounds, and the bad ones who dont. It kills the balance of the game because all game mechanics that work with saves become useless. :(

You're welcome. Mortal wound output is clearly a strong factor towards a good army. Note that there are still strong builds in the game such as Vanguard Wing and Kharadron Overlords that do not rely on mortal wounds to still dominant. The other side of the coin as you say is armies that have the ability to deal with all these mortal wounds such as Fyreslayers.

I think Nurgle will now fall into both these camps; lots of pokey little ways to dish out mortal wounds and also survive them. This combined with their freakish speed (one thing I'm perhaps not too keen on) makes this potentially a really solid army. Whilst we don't want to see power creep, we also want newer releases to still be competitive right? I'm very interested to see where this falls. How the contagion point summoning is treated is a huge factor in this IMO.

14 hours ago, Nico said:

Pestilens will still qualify as a Nurgle army so Summoning via the Battle Trait.

Yes this is an important point to make.

13 hours ago, Poryague said:

Being able to use plaque claw gives us a war machine at least and we keep allegience.

You, totally. I think the Plagueclaw is still a solid option. 

12 hours ago, chord said:

Thank you! This is way better than a podcast since I can read anywhere but am not always able to listen everywhere

Cheers bro, that's great to read. Hope you find it useful.

6 hours ago, FRoper said:

In blight cycst, what are the unit numbers. 

1 Lord of Blights
3-6 Blightkings
0-1 Sorcerer (new name for the Rotbringers Sorcerer)
0-1 Harbinger of Decay

3 hours ago, James McPherson said:

and thanks Chris, that was awesome to read, best review I've seen so far

No worries James, you're welcome. Glad you liked it and even more pleased to see you as a glass half full (or completely full!) kinda guy regarding the new Nurgle interactions with your dirty rats! You're right, a Great Unclean One will be a valuable ally for sure.

3 hours ago, James McPherson said:

Here's a rules question for people, can Plague Wind resurrect dead models from a unit? So could it be used on a unit of plague monks to bring back dead models?  Or is it just for healing multi wound models like behemoths and heroes etc?

You just heal wounds, no resurrecting. Sorry.

1 hour ago, tolstedt said:

@Chris Tomlin are you able to comment on the points of the GUO?

I'd rather not comment on points I'm afraid, another user in this thread has you covered though mate.

1 hour ago, wayniac said:

Sounds really cool.  Very excited for this.  That Blight Cyst battalion sounds amazing, and lucky for me I really like Blightkings.

Haha, "I really like Blightkings" is a phrase I think we will be hearing a lot all of a sudden!! ;) 

Just wanna throw it out there that my last 3 games of WFB 8th edition saw @Snoopdom successfully cast The Dreaded 13th spell and wipe out my unit of 10 Blightkings in a oner, what fun...I had even based them on 40mm rounds as a troll before AoS was announced! Foresight or what?! Anyway....what I'm trying to say is....#notabandwagoner :P 

Have a good afternoon guys,
Chris

467B87C3-BDD2-46B9-9FD5-E7C3FF38550A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Afternoon guys,

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm pleased that the time taken to write this appears to have been worthwhile haha!

It might be tomorrow now I mention the Warscrolls, we'll see. In a way that's less interesting as they are all freely available. Still, I'd like to share my thoughts and have been having fun with lists!

Have a good afternoon guys,
Chris

467B87C3-BDD2-46B9-9FD5-E7C3FF38550A.jpeg

So no spoilers for possible future models? Schucks.

Also, those Blightkings look sweet as f-. :x

Sorry to hear about your voice mate. Hope the recovery is going well and props for making the effort to do a review whilst you're still on the mend. 

Quick question on the Thricefold Befoulment batallion. Is it just standard GUOs or can I include Rottigus and the Forge World Exalted Greater Daemon, since they have the Great Unclean One keyword?

5 hours ago, AGPO said:

Sorry to hear about your voice mate. Hope the recovery is going well and props for making the effort to do a review whilst you're still on the mend. 

Quick question on the Thricefold Befoulment batallion. Is it just standard GUOs or can I include Rottigus and the Forge World Exalted Greater Daemon, since they have the Great Unclean One keyword?

Well you can use Skarbrand and Exalteds for the Khorne version too. You'll be allright.

Wether or not you want to spend 1100+ points that way is a different topic though for fun, have a blast!

3 hours ago, Killax said:

Well you can use Skarbrand and Exalteds for the Khorne version too. You'll be allright.

Wether or not you want to spend 1100+ points that way is a different topic though for fun, have a blast!

Great stuff! :D I rarely play points to be honest, but once I've got my basic 2000pts down I like to collect to batallions as it gives me a theme and some fun narrative options to try. Rounding out Thricefold Befoulment is an excellent excuse to update my old metal GUO and pick up Rotigus.

Great review Chris! Thanks for taking the time to do that.  Have to agree that the Blight Cyst sounds amazing! I was pleased to read you can include a Harbinger of Decay and Sorcerer in this battalion, as I have already done some conversions for these models. Is the -1 rend for the Harbinger and Sorcerer as well? If so that would bring them to -2, not too shabby for Nurgle heroes! Not that either are combat characters, still, every little helps.

20 hours ago, Mangod said:

So no spoilers for possible future models? Schucks.

Also, those Blightkings look sweet as f-. :x

Cheers man. Yeh I’ll cover all the scrolls in the book. I just thought they were all up on GW now. Maybe not though. 

16 hours ago, AGPO said:

Thanks mate. Yeh @Killax is right. For this one, it’s in bold so keyword based. Even shows Rotigus in the accompanying photo.  

10 hours ago, stocke2 said:

how did they handle the lore for the Glottkin, they have such a strong story

Honestly I haven’t read all of the lore in the book. Unfortunately I’m one of those types who jumps straight to the rules. I really loved the End Times Glottkin book and thought all the named  characters were well represented there, so will be good to see what they’ve done with them in this book tbh. I’m a big fan of Gutrot Spume and Orghotts Daemonspew personally. 

2 hours ago, Percivael said:

Great review Chris! Thanks for taking the time to do that.  Have to agree that the Blight Cyst sounds amazing! I was pleased to read you can include a Harbinger of Decay and Sorcerer in this battalion, as I have already done some conversions for these models. Is the -1 rend for the Harbinger and Sorcerer as well? If so that would bring them to -2, not too shabby for Nurgle heroes! Not that either are combat characters, still, every little helps.

No worries man, I’ve seen your stuff and it’s looking fantastic. You’re in a great poisition for the new book. 

For the Blight Cyst, the Rend -1 is only for the Blightkings combat attacks. It’s still great and what anyone who have ever used Blightkings has been crying out for. 

43 minutes ago, Splitbristle said:

Oh wow, that was a good read. Even more excited for this than I was (and that was quite excited). Cheers @Chris Tomlin and hope you feel better soon fella.

Off to buy a few more boxes of Blightkings now...

Thank you, that’s great to hear. Glad you’re (rightly) excited about this release. Quick, grab them Blightkings before they go out of stock haha!! 

3 hours ago, ageofpaddsmar said:

Hey Chris thanks for the review. I heard blightkings are 20pts cheaper and have an extra wound each. Has their scroll changed in any other way. Don't think its been updated on GW yet. Cheers 

From 7 sourcers Ive read thats it :)

@Chris Tomlin what does the wonderful Sloppity Bilepiper do exactly? Everybody is so silent on him.

14 minutes ago, Killax said:

@Chris Tomlin what does the wonderful Sloppity Bilepiper do exactly? Everybody is so silent on him.

I've wanted to know the same! A link, a snippit, a vague summary that's a few steps better than he's a plaguebearer that's playing a fleshybagpipe.

14 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Honestly I haven’t read all of the lore in the book. Unfortunately I’m one of those types who jumps straight to the rules. I really loved the End Times Glottkin book and thought all the named  characters were well represented there, so will be good to see what they’ve done with them in this book tbh. I’m a big fan of Gutrot Spume and Orghotts Daemonspew personally. 

I love gutrot spume and morbidex twiceborn

On 1/6/2018 at 10:41 PM, Chris Tomlin said:

No probs guys, @ChippyRick I'll be giving a shout out to your old fav, the Chaos Sorcerer Lord when I get onto my lists!

Haha, look forward to seeing some list ideas, he certainly should be part of most if not all. He makes it into all my chaos army list :) 

He was in every one of my nurgle army list as he is great with the Blightkings and Plague Drones to name a few, enjoyed that a lot in the with mine during the first 6-9 months of AoS. 

9 hours ago, Killax said:

Wow those guys were already pretty good IMO. That makes them... great I guess.

2 hours ago, Aginor said:

Wow those guys were already pretty good IMO. That makes them... great I guess.

Yeah Nurgle is pretty great. I think the ones who deem it not like that are missing the absolute massive ammount of small buffs everywhere which lead to a massive army improvement.

BoK initially started out like this but was certainly pushed back with a Blood Tithe and Secrator nerf. I dont mind it too much though, it's time for Nurgle to shine. The combination of attrition, fast bombs and mortal wound output on selective units make this a great army. The Blight Trees offer board control, which in the hands of great players offers even more power.

One thing I will ask about at AoS Facebook again is why the Lord and Knights on Drones have the propper Keywords and certain Khorne equivelants do not. ;) Thats neither here nor there though...

Enjoy Nurgle however you want to. This Allegiance has the most unit choices available to it. I think not only of Chaos but likely the game. :D

21 hours ago, ageofpaddsmar said:

Hey Chris thanks for the review. I heard blightkings are 20pts cheaper and have an extra wound each. Has their scroll changed in any other way. Don't think its been updated on GW yet. Cheers 

17 hours ago, Killax said:

17 hours ago, robotnik_taco said:

I've wanted to know the same! A link, a snippit, a vague summary that's a few steps better than he's a plaguebearer that's playing a fleshybagpipe.

Hey guys,

I will be giving a brief rundown of all the scrolls this evening, so will cover all this and more.

Thanks for all the responses and interactions so far. Please this has been of interest to you guys.

Check back later for a proper update.

Chris

Archived