new death battletome announced!

tea_wild_owl

17 minutes ago, Sception said:

yeah, but nurgle also got a ton of cool new models to flog.  GW seem much more likely to try cool new rules on new warscrolls for new units, and rather disinclined to make major changes to warscrolls that have already been published in print products, especially if the models aren't changing at the same time.

Don't say "it can only get better".  Things can always get worse.  And wish-listing about what might be in a book that we don't yet have any significant details on is a sure fire way to end up disappointed with whatever turns out to actually be in the book on its release, no matter how good might be.  I personally prefer to anticipate the worst, and then be pleasantly surprised with how much better the end result exceeds the lowest possible bar, no matter how bad it might be.  :P

Clan Pestilence got no new models and got TONNES better, some of the death models arent great but we cant control that so why complain about it?

If we are getting a book it wont get worse, everything lately that has got a book has got heaps better. Think about it, death would easily be one of the smallest GA being played with old models. Which would mean they wouldnt be selling much of the range. I can see them doing a Fyreslayers & make their rules appealing so people buy armies,  they have zero reason to make them rubbish. 

Exactly expect the worst & hope for the best, I dont get why people have the sads so much O.o 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty obvious why people have the sads (to whatever extent they actually do, most everyone seems pretty excited about this book, there's just not much to say about the announcement that hasn't already been said).  The reason is that people let themselves hope that Malign Portent's significant buildup would be leading into some major new model releases for Death, and now it looks very much like that isn't happening.

I dont see how any new stuff could be bad. Death will at a minimum get tons of new allegiance abilities, spells, and new battalions. How is that not good? Later in the year there will be new models. GW already confirmed that.

As for LoN it will most likely be in the new style of battletomes that started with DoT. Mix and match. And no one mixes better then Death. 

Just look at the new Nurgle book. Just a few minor tweaks here and there and Blightkings are nasty now. 

I don't think anyone is debating the fact that it'll be good for Death, but I think it's fair that people may be disappointed that the first 'big thing' for Death is yet another release without any new models. It's the only grand alliance so far that hasn't received a single new model in the Age of Sigmar after all. We don't actually know this, all we have at the moment is a name of a Battletome and a sneak peak at the structure, but it's what people are worried about.

From the looks of things, I think GW wants to get Death's house in order before releasing a new faction for them. Personally I would like to see some new models go along with Legions of Nagash to give the old factions a bit more depth AND release a new faction of Deathcast (or whatever) soon after.

Overall, I think at the end of the day we just have to wait for more information. Hopefully we'll hear more in 2 weeks time when GW is at LVO and doing their seminars. 

1 hour ago, Cargo Cult said:

We are the death faction. I think we are allowed to be sad :(

Having said that, cheer up everyone. This is the year some love gets lavished on Death. We are the focus. We will get rules that make us more competitive and we will get loads of new models. I know this because GW:

(a) have said as much; and

(b) their business model is to sells us miniatures in exchange for cash.

So chill. Trust me, it’s gonna be great.

12 hours ago, Antipodean7 said:

Hey guys, I've added a page on  aosshorts.com to track all the official information on Battletome: Legions of Nagash in one place.  It would be great to know if I have missed anything. 

https://aosshorts.com/legions-of-nagash/

Be careful about speculation about the february 17th date from the Malign Portents site.  That date could just as easily be the release date for malign portents itself, or for the four herald models in particular.  Note that the painting contest only asks people to buy and paint their heralds in the second month, which would start around that time.  If the heralds were getting released before that, I doubt GW suggest suggest players hold off purchasing them for that long.

2 hours ago, Sception said:

Nah.  Bitter maybe.  Justifiably so, frankly.  And a little annoyed at your insistance that everyone be exclusively happy despite not yet actually having anything to be happy about.

To give some perspective, I got back into the hobby about two years ago after a break of 20 years. I decided to go with Tomb Kings, taught myself to paint (again) to an average standard and spent loads of time and money just in time for THE WHOLE FECKING FACTION TO BE RETIRED and then REPEATEDLY SCREWED OVER with every successive rules update.

So I think I’ve got reasonable grounds to be a bit pissed. But I’ve got through the initial funk and realised that the key requirement for this hobby and to be a good player is ADAPTABILITY.

Thus I’ve realised that the seventy skeletons I’ve painted are probably still going to be relevant.

While my beloved bone giant and tomb scorpions are becoming less relevant, I’ve added a Mourngul, 12 spirits hosts and a smattering of wraiths and banshees and I’m enjoying the challenge of making it all work together.

All my models are still desert based and so the Tomb King aesthetic is still there.

And guess what, GW are now reacting to the clear feedback that Death was neglected and non-competitive. 

So im optimistic. New rules and fluff and models are coming. Each and every one of us will legitimately love / hate different bits of it and we’ll debate it to death (pun intended) on this forum. But at least we are back in the spotlight. Buckle up, let’s review things on the merits when we have FACTS and let’s ADAPT. 

By Setra’s bones, lets make the other factions fear us again. 

WE ARE DEATH. WE ARE COMING FOR YOU ALL.

1 hour ago, Cargo Cult said:

And guess what, GW are now reacting to the clear feedback that Death was neglected and non-competitive. 

This is the only bit I kind of object to. This strikes me as wishful thinking and projection. 

A book like this will likely have been in development since before GH2017 and the compendium updates were released, and thus neither Legions of Nagash nor anything in it can really be a response to feedback about the current state of Death in the game.  And while we're definitely getting some more detailed fluff and rules, as well as a fun looking thematic subfaction reschuffling, all of which I'm very excited for, expecting those to come with a significant overall power boost that might fix our competitive situation just strikes me as setting expectations too high.

Honestly I have already came to peace with the fact it's likely that we are not going to get new models, my previous comment to explain further is the fact at least we got cool models during the end times while many other factions are still sitting on older or poorer kits. I just want to avoid getting disappointed, so I will look to the positive things. The lore and the legions. 

I think at this point, death getting new models is just about certain. If they decide to release them in the second half of 2018, the timing would just be annoying AF. 

Starting a story arc around Nagahs/realm of death and then releasing a bunch of Chaos models first, followed by (if the rumours hold any value) some more order subfactions, is.... odd at best, a kick in the teeth for people in a GA that has been all but ignored since the release of AoS at worst. 

I find the timing double annoying since GW announced a global "start a new army" initiative right before they release a book that will be a complete reshuffle of GA: Death. Especially since there are so many multi-option kits for us, it almost feels like a "paint now and pray it'll have a bit of synergy a month later"

3 hours ago, shinros said:

Honestly I have already came to peace with the fact it's likely that we are not going to get new models, my previous comment to explain further is the fact at least we got cool models during the end times while many other factions are still sitting on older or poorer kits. I just want to avoid getting disappointed, so I will look to the positive things. The lore and the legions. 

I really struggle with the view Death will not get new models. I agree with Elmir that the timing may not be what we would hope for, but really do people honestly think a death-themed new phase for Age of Sigmar will be supported by only one new model? Especially when GW said on FB there will be more new models.......

They didnt say when.  It could happen this year, or it might not.  Im personally leaning towards not, though of course id love to be wrong.

LoN, from the announcement, doesn't seem to include new models, and it would seem odd to release a complete tome like that only to render it incomplete a few weeks or months later.  Not impossible, just rather odd.

I still half expect deathrattle and nighthaunt battle tomes this year, its the only reason i can think why they wouldnt get allegiance rules in LoN.  However, as legacy subfactions, I wouldn't expect them to get any more new models than seraphon, flesh eaters, pestilens, or beastclaws did.

One to three battle tomes and a campaign supplement set in Shyish would still qualify as 'a big year for death', and new death models tentatively planed for release in 2019 or 2020 would still qualify as new models 'coming down the pipe'.

While still leaving most of the year's release scedule and all of the sculptors time and attention for slaanesh daemons to dovetail with an Emperor's Children release in 40k, and fit with rumors of a narrative pivot towards elves in AoS.  One that could easily come and go without much in the way of new models for them, either.

On one hand, I am still a little put off by how GW has treated the Malign Portents event as a whole; the long countdown for relatively little information and a few announcements felt very odd, and in my opinion would have worked better had they just given us the information straight up, rather than building the hype up with the Herald teasers. Indeed, we don't even know what Malign Portents exactly is; is it a soft thematic reboot? A global campaign like the Season of hope? A sort of extension of AoS and a continuation of the plot? All of the above at once? It'll probably be the last one, but the fact that GW hasn't just told us is frustrating.

Similiarly, the situation for Death has been in a similiar state: frustrating. Unlike other factions, which get the nice ability to branch out their collection to other armies or specialize in one distinct faction, Death is literally a 1:1 of Vampire Counts, with a few side allegiances thrown in. We don't even have the benefit of being able to branch into the Tomb Kings. Which is why I'm still disapointed at the idea of LoN being just Battletome: Death. No new models, nothing to add to your collection. 

On the other hand, however, its nice to see that they are giving us so many options to play Death. Our units may be the same, Although I do hope that they make a few tweaks here and there, but by giving us a variety of ways to play those units, we can get a whole lot of mileage of those units. I have no idea what each Mortarch or is going to do, but if they are as described as Allegiances, than hot dog; We should be looking at a whole tidal wave of ways to customize our armies and fine tune them to our liking. If its anything like the Maggotkin, Arcanite or Kharadon books, where they have a selection for each city, or a allegiance for Mortals, Daemons and spevial units, there's no denying that we'll have plenty to tinker around with.

And I still have not given up hope on the idea of new models; they are certainly aware of how much we want them. And if the rumors of Malign Portents being a global campaign are true, I am certain we'll see something along the lines of Slyvanneth popping up to give Death an edge.

Just ny two cents on the matter.

I have a similar mix of frustration and anticipation. Like I've really enjoyed the malign portents build up in its own right.  The teaser videos were great, and the most recent short story in particular was cool.  The mood and atmosphere is spot on, the more detailed look at the setting, shyish in particular, the feeling that stuff is actually happening, that's all engaging.  But while its great for the narrative, it doesn't seem to be amounting to much for the game or the hobby, and that just feels weird and a bit disappointing after all this build up.

As for Legions of Nagash, while I think what we really need is entirely new subfactions with entirely new characters and units with entirely new models, I am actually excited for what seems to be Grand Alliance Death 2.0, because it looks like its going to be doing a much better job in terms of how its shaping the subfactions, and particularly in terms of working narrative and theme into them.  An allegiance for each named character is just such a good way if doing that, and the promise of more Shyish fluff is great.

Granted, it sounds like what the grand alliance book should have been in the first place, with fluff and armies we should have been seeing two years ago, but whatever, I can forgive that.  I've always been a big fan of Arkhan as a character, and I'm chomping at the bit to see what his fluff and Legion list look like.

But even if I want to be excited about it, the lack of details leaves me frustrated.  For the first time in a long time, I actually feel like painting something, to have a Legion of Sacrament army ready to go on day one, but what do I even paint, when I dont know what will even be in the army*?

And the more time I spend circling and waiting, the more time I have to remember how lackluster our existing rules are, and how unlikely it is that a rearrangement of the deck chairs will actually result in something that would actally be fun and rewarding on the table.

*I mean, besides Arkhan himself, obviously.

Heres a thought: rumour engine pics point to a possible aelves release; probably from malerions faction within ulgu. However, perhaps this faction is actually within Death? After all malerion had issues finding aelves in the age of myth, so maybe he re-embodied souls left over from the old world, or collected those vomited up from Slaanesh. This faction are 'dead' and perhaps loosely align with the rest of the GA, but are not under Nagashs control? 

Archived