new death battletome announced!

tea_wild_owl

As someone trying to run pure death razzle dazzle, with some allies this is so welcome. The grave guard as battle line if helped a bit but at the same time GA Death took a bit of a nerf with their deathless minions aura and the 1st command trait, which hurt my army's ability a bit. So it feels like it's finally turning around ?

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delighted! This sounds like a nice old-school undead release to me! Hopefully they have got rid of nonsense like necromancers not being it the same faction as skeletons... + I guess we can count on.

Alegiance Abilities

Command Traits

At least 1 new Spell Lore

Some Warscroll Battalions.

Artefacts

Updated Points

Happy Days! I have only been waiting for this since they split up the undead into VC and TK in 5th Edition.

I'm gonna go nuts if they bring out a new Carrion model :D

I have serious Hobby A.D.D. now though... 5 models left to paint for my stormcast, 2 units and a dragon for Darkling Covens, A cauldron and a depressing number of witches for Daughters of Khaine, About 60% of of my Fatesworn/Everchosen/tzeentch arcanite/slaves to darkness identity crisis army, everything except Valkia for BoK, and now a Death army... 

Not forgetting 40k stuff :S

10 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Delighted! This sounds like a nice old-school undead release to me! Hopefully they have got rid of nonsense like necromancers not being it the same faction as skeletons... + I guess we can count on.

Alegiance Abilities

Command Traits

At least 1 new Spell Lore

Some Warscroll Battalions.

Artefacts

Updated Points

Happy Days! I have only been waiting for this since they split up the undead into VC and TK in 5th Edition.

I'm gonna go nuts if they bring out a new Carrion model :D

I have serious Hobby A.D.D. now though... 5 models left to paint for my stormcast, 2 units and a dragon for Darkling Covens, A cauldron and a depressing number of witches for Daughters of Khaine, About 60% of of my Fatesworn/Everchosen/tzeentch arcanite/slaves to darkness identity crisis army, everything except Valkia for BoK, and now a Death army... 

Not forgetting 40k stuff :S

Really nice! I've also been super busy painting. I had christmas holidays and decided that I would do the (to me) impossible and paint up a 2k army from scratch to completion. I managed to build and paint a 2k Stormcast army (vanguards) in the past 2 weeks completely, and 3 days ago with a little under a week left decided it is time to start a 40k army as well, I'm now almost done painting and building 2000 points worth of 40k. All in all this has been the most fruitful month for me yet XD, this battletome release now has me eyeing those skeletons to be completed haha.

4 minutes ago, Kugane said:

Really nice! I've also been super busy painting. I had christmas holidays and decided that I would do the (to me) impossible and paint up a 2k army from scratch to completion. I managed to build and paint a 2k Stormcast army (vanguards) in the past 2 weeks completely, and 3 days ago with a little under a week left decided it is time to start a 40k army as well, I'm now almost done painting and building 2000 points worth of 40k. All in all this has been the most fruitful month for me yet XD, this battletome release now has me eyeing those skeletons to be completed haha.

Wow! I did my stormcast in similar fashion - started on 1st of december with a plan to finish before the end of the month. I almost made it but got burned out a little and spent a couple of days buliding chaos knights and painting Valkia. I wish I hadn't because its hard to go back to silver and blue stuff now!

2 weeks is really impressive though! I hope I can build a good Death list without too many big units of the same model. I can do 1 big unit of something - but multiple 30+ of the same model just crushes my motivation!

16 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Wow! I did my stormcast in similar fashion - started on 1st of december with a plan to finish before the end of the month. I almost made it but got burned out a little and spent a couple of days buliding chaos knights and painting Valkia. I wish I hadn't because its hard to go back to silver and blue stuff now!

2 weeks is really impressive though! I hope I can build a good Death list without too many big units of the same model. I can do 1 big unit of something - but multiple 30+ of the same model just crushes my motivation!

Thank you! :) I also got burned out twice during the project and had to take a 4 day break each... I think effectively I've painted that army in about 6 days total. I was getting a 3rd burnout towards the end of december, but decided I want it done before new year and pushed on, lol. I'm glad now though, finally an army I can play that is fully painted and somewhat competitive haha *looking at 120 clanrats*. 

As for death lists, Skeletons are really easy to paint to tabletop quality. Just prime black, get an XL basecoat brush with little rakarth flesh on it and slap them all over the model (I dont think the rakarth flesh for this step needs to be thinned as the XL brush will create even and thin coats "brushing" off excess. Then once that is done, paint the metals and woods. Paint the cloth in a colour that goes well with aggrax earthshade, and just splash aggrax all over the model. You'll end up with something similar to my warband:

5a514f5574f6b_shadespire(1).jpg.3029011629f9aea50faa1455de06a8fe.jpg

In my opinion its good enough for a tabletop quality. I spent a tiny bit of time adding some details to the reds and a drybrush for the fur of the warden, but regular skeletons shouldn't need that. Quick and easy :). (This warband took about 3 hours to paint including drying times, I did fix the rims of the bases after)

Ok, so.  One, this looks hecka cool.  I like the idea of subfactions for each mortarch, and am excited to see what an 'arkhan' army looks like.  And I love the promise of new lore, with a look at the living and dead citizens of Shyish living side by side.

On the less positive side, this is an all-together, everything in the grand alliance sort of book, and the fact that they're putting out that sort of book strikes me as a rather bad sign for anyone hoping for new death models any time soon.

1 hour ago, Sception said:

Ok, so.  One, this looks hecka cool.  I like the idea of subfactions for each mortarch, and am excited to see what an 'arkhan' army looks like.  And I love the promise of new lore, with a look at the living and dead citizens of Shyish living side by side.

On the less positive side, this is an all-together, everything in the grand alliance sort of book, and the fact that they're putting out that sort of book strikes me as a rather bad sign for anyone hoping for new death models any time soon.

Thinking of it as a 40K Index may be best. A book to ensure Death is strong until we get to proper Battletomes for the armies.

Unless they're actually changing some of the unit rules instead of just stapling some faction rules on top, I'm not sure how much the book can really do to "ensure death is strong."  Not that I'm personally asking it to.

Oh, in terms of what six alliances are in the book, the announcement already says.  One for Nagash, one for each of the three mortarchs, one for soulblight, and one for Death as a whole.

Hot damn, this looks like exactly what the existing death range needed to bring it up to speed. Colour me excited!

As an aside I wonder if this book will do anything with summoning. I'd love it if death's summoning got an overhaul like Nurgle... perhaps based on how much of the opposing army we kill (as we raise the enemy dead to fight on our side). Will have to wait and see I guess...

14 hours ago, Killax said:

Some, but considering how many went mental with not everything being revealed at the countdown of a clock I think it's better kept for next month with extra confirmation. 

Is there anything solid that suggests it'll release next month? It would be great to know the release date as I was just getting into painting up some gaps in my Death army and rebasing from squares. Not sure now if I should wait for the new book to do most of the work!

And regarding summoning and MoN, as far as I have been able to find it looks like there's no mechanism there that explicitly removes or modifies the point cost for summoning. It's always possible that GW will clarify this after the fact. I really can't see summoning becoming more competitive unless there is some cost incentive to doing so.

This is good. The DoT style of battletomes seems to be working for a lot of factions. This format is really the only style that makes sense for Death as a whole alliance since there is very little atonomy in the sub factions. Someone is always controlling. 

As a huge fan of Arhkan im hoping for Death magic that can rival Tzeentch. 

7 hours ago, S133arcanite said:

Also, the black coach has apparently temporarily ran out of stock on the website (same as the old great unclean one and old lord of change), and the cairn wraith has completly dissappeared...

PLEASE NIGHTHAUNT!!!!!!

Well the the Black Coach is just temporarily out, so I wouldn't worry about it. Now, the Cairn Wraith is either gone or not longer available(and not temporarily) depending on the countries store and only available in the Tormented Spirits box. Thing happened to the Herald of Nurgle, who became unavailable outside of the Start Collecting, but he came back today with a new name and a new warscroll. We've been seeing wrait-like figures in the MP artwork, so I'm hoping he's getting the same treatment. I know Nighthaunt is getting the Knight of Shrouds, but it'd be nice to have another cheap support hero too and right now the tomb banshee and cairn wraith don't do much to help anybody.

7 hours ago, Sception said:

Unless they're actually changing some of the unit rules instead of just stapling some faction rules on top, I'm not sure how much the book can really do to "ensure death is strong."  Not that I'm personally asking it to.

The only reason to republish unit rules is because they’re making substantial changes to them, as far as I can see.

I don't think we need to worry about there not being any new units in this book... There is literally no reason to include that "all models (so far)" bit in that description except to say that death will be getting a few more options if you can just hold out a bit longer for the release.  

Legion of the night will be especially thin in option unless they add a few more options. The herald being nighthaunt is no accident I think.  Just making it current nighthaunt + Mannfred  +knight of shrouds (+ hopefully the mortis engine) will most likely not be the end of it.  This rumour engine picture is most likely proof of that... Even my GF who doesn't even  play AoS immediately said that looked like part of my "little blue ghosts". 

Jan2-RumourEngine1yrcls.jpg

My guess is that we are looking at an early march release for the book, with a lot of trickling in of previews/rumour engines  from now on until February....

And I don't think nighthaunt will be the only ones getting new toys BTW. I really do think we will be in for a tidalwave of new models in the first half of 2018 for the death faction... Hell, we might even need to be patient until the new options in the book are all out (kind of like the death guard players had to wait until all the options in their book was out. 

Archived