new death battletome announced!

tea_wild_owl

15 hours ago, Sception said:

Best Things that Might Happen

I think you just forgot some thing which could be really awesome and that I personnaly hope (even if I not see this happening) :

What if alongside LoN battletome they don't release new models, but old ones that already have a warscrolls ? Yes, what if they released only the recent TK kits which had been removed a few years ago ? Like the necropolis Knights, the sphinx and the tomb guards. Since those three kits are very nice and recent, could fit very well I any death army and particularly in the Legions of Sacrament.

I know, it's highly unplausible, but this wouldn't cost them much, would make a great surprise and do make some death players happy ;)

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think forcing you to take Special Characters would be a terrible idea. GA: Death no longer exists, so this book is our only rules source for our collections.

I'm personally not a great fan of high-level Special Characters outside of large games, because it seems silly to be facing Alarielle, Queen of the Sylvaneth and about 10 Tree Revenants. She should be at the head of a mighty host deserving of her presence.

I'd say the same for the Mortarchs. They'd only come to battle personally if there was explicit need and they could send a subordinate to do it.

You think Arkhan goes after every magical trinket in the world? No, he'd only personally go for the most powerful while he sends a Necromancer to lead a cohort for the lesser artifacts. You think Neferata personally goes to battle all that often? She's far more likely to use her many subordinate Vampire Lords and network of spies to conduct the bulk of her battles, only descending personally to fight when there might be a particularly useful opponent to turn, or when she's all but assured her victory.

And Nagash? Personally I place him in the same tier as Sigmar, or Dracothian. When the literal God of Death descends to the battlefield, it should be in the midst of an apocalyptic climax at the razing of a mighty city.

It'd be like if Sauron started fighting Aragorn with eye lasers at the Battle of the Black Gate, rather than being an omnipresent threat more in terms of presence than actually punching the good guy in the face.

I mean, you might as well have a model for Khorne, or Slaanesh at that rate.

23 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

I think forcing you to take Special Characters would be a terrible idea. GA: Death no longer exists, so this book is our only rules source for our collections.

Think I've probably misunderstood you, but GA: Death will exist - just you use the new Legions of Nagash book to build your army rather than the original GA book.

Not sure if anyone has read the latest Malign Portents book

https://malignportents.com/story/the-hangmans-curse/

I want an ability that allows me to create mist on a scenery piece and then butcher anything within the mist :D

8 minutes ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Yeah, I meant the book won't exist, not the Grand Alliance. Therefore new players won't be able to buy it, therefore we have whatever options are available in LoN, and that's it.

Lol, thought I'd got the wrong end of the stick!  I'll blame it on it being a long week :D

6 hours ago, Ghark said:

what if they released only the recent TK kits which had been removed a few years ago?

My list only includes things that I think are even a remote possibility.  The entire tomb kings line, all of their plastics from the first to the last, are based on the old skeleton proportions.  They look out of place next to the current deathrattle skeletons.  They're not coming back.

4 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Think I've probably misunderstood you, but GA: Death will exist - just you use the new Legions of Nagash book to build your army rather than the original GA book.

Not sure if anyone has read the latest Malign Portents book

https://malignportents.com/story/the-hangmans-curse/

I want an ability that allows me to create mist on a scenery piece and then butcher anything within the mist :D

Wouldn't surprise me if there's something like that for a spell in one of the spell lores. Almost like a Heraldor effect all units within D6" of terrain piece suffer D3 Mortal wounds. DEATH models are unaffected.

Just wishlisting out loud haha.

5 hours ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

I'd say the same for the Mortarchs. They'd only come to battle personally if there was explicit need and they could send a subordinate to do it.

And yet there are plenty of stories where these heroes act entirely alone or with extremely small retinues.  Nearly as many as there are with them leading armies.

Think of the audio dramas with manny on his own hanging out with a single unit of stormcasts.  Or in the end times, when nagash, by himself, popped out of arkhan's corpse and fought his way to the black pyramid.  Or again in the end times, when nagash, the other incarnates, a few of his mortarchs, some wights, and some morghasts teleported into the heart of archaon's army.

Special characters are there when a battle is important, often that means huge armies, but just as often that means small strike forces going after targets that a huge army just can't get to.

Neither Patton nor Goering were immortal, nor were they they equals of dozens of regular soldiars in a fight, nor did their physical presence directly animate the soldiers at their command.

Also, AoS is a game of fantasy battles in a mythic setting, not realistic battles in a modern one.  Patton may not have personally led the charge from the front lines, nor walked into danger alone or with but a handful of followers, but Beowulf or Achilles or Cu chulainn or Rama sure did, in the stories at least, and those kinds of mythic stories, not historical warfare modern or otherwise, are what this game seeks to emulate.

I'm aware of that, yes. Perhaps it's just that I'm jaded by people trying to cram power units into small lists to skew games. Hence it then bled into me not liking it in fluff terms either. 

Plus I'm also a big fan of making your own characters, and I tend to avoid all your eggs in one basket strategies in games. 

2 hours ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

I'm aware of that, yes. Perhaps it's just that I'm jaded by people trying to cram power units into small lists to skew games. Hence it then bled into me not liking it in fluff terms either. 

Plus I'm also a big fan of making your own characters, and I tend to avoid all your eggs in one basket strategies in games. 

Im with you in making your own characters. I hope the allegiance isnt dependent on one of the 3 Mortarchs. I mean ill always include Arkhan but I want my general to be a VLoZD to use the traits and items

Ironically though, the VLoZD with traits and item is probably more "power play" name worthy than taking Arkhan the Black as the general.... ;)

So I'm not opposed to fielding names characters at all. They come with a drawback these days. Having to take them to unlock the traits is something I don't believe for a second though.  Those traits are most likely locked behind limiting your choice of units.  And I imagine you get additional army traits (like in firestorm) if you limit yourself  to only including certain subfactions. 

I'm thinking about starting a new Deathrattle army with tons of skeletons and so on, but considering that the new Death book is about to be released in a question of weeks... Do you think it is a good idea to start assembling and painting right now a few hordes of skeletons, a couple Morghasts and some heroes before the book is out?

My main concern is that new models would be released to replace the current ones (such as skeletons) so that all this work is in vain.

What do you think? Are you expecting any new model, or is it safe to start the army now so that when the book is released I'll have a little force ready to play?

That's something nice to hear :D 

I'm a huge Arkhan fan and I'd love to build a large skeleton army so I'm thinking about getting the 'Blade of the Blood Queen' box since it includes a lot of great skeleton stuff...

But can I build Arkhan instead of Neferata with the bits included on this box? Are all the pieces for Arkhan included in this box, or is Neferata the only mortarch that is possible to build with it? And I have the same question regarding the Morghasts in this box: could I transform the 2 Archai into Harbringers, or the bits provided within the box only allows you to build Archais?

Thank you @Sception, my idea is building Arkhan and surrounding him with a necromancer, a wight king, skeleton warriors, some morghast harbringers and maybe a few grave guards (even though I know they are quite bad right now). Also thinking about including some hexwraiths since I heard they are quite better than black knights and it is still possible in this Deathlord Arkhan composition.

3 hours ago, ogmaadn said:

That's something nice to hear :D 

I'm a huge Arkhan fan and I'd love to build a large skeleton army so I'm thinking about getting the 'Blade of the Blood Queen' box since it includes a lot of great skeleton stuff...

But can I build Arkhan instead of Neferata with the bits included on this box? Are all the pieces for Arkhan included in this box, or is Neferata the only mortarch that is possible to build with it? And I have the same question regarding the Morghasts in this box: could I transform the 2 Archai into Harbringers, or the bits provided within the box only allows you to build Archais?

I can confirm what @Sception said above. It comes with the pieces for all Mortarchs. You can build any version from the Blade of the Blood Queen set.

I know that I won't be buying anything Death related until we get a better look at the Battletome itself; Although I think we can predict what is going to get what, I still don't feel like doing anything too big at the moment. Right now, I'm just going to finish rebasing some Skeletons and working on some Conversions for some heros.

I'm doing soulblight... seemed like the safest bet in the ramp up to the new book. I've just finished converting 10 blood knights (pics will follow soon on this forum) and I've got 12 vargheists in the works. 

Still need to get my hand on a VLoZD, as all my beasties got turned into their FEC counterparts and the colourschemes are a slight mismatch. Although I suppose proxying a GKoZD as a VLoZD is about the least offensive one you could do in this game. ;)

But yeah, I'm not touching any of the start collecting boxes just yet, despite the global campaign thing. This "paint now and pray it'll have synergy later" timing for death puts me off from doing anything with those for now. 

After thinking twice about getting the 'Blade of the Blood Queen'  box, I am not so sure about it now. I'm actually hesitating since we don't know anything yet about the potential synergies and usage of different troops, so maybe picking up such a large box might end up being a waste of money and time depending on what the new battletome brings to the table (though my hopes are high on a viable Arkhan army full of skeletons, morghasts and necromancers with its own rules and advantages).

I'm pretty sure skeletons will still be a nice battleline and a Wight King will consequently be necessary on this army, but what about morghast? That's right now my main concern since I expect them to be included at least on  Arkhan's allegiance therefore spending allies points to play them wont be necessary. But who knows... And another important thing to notice is that Morghasts right now are out of stock on GW's website. Is that a signal? Will they be supplied again in the short term?

And same with necromancers... IMO, they should by all means be included in Arkhan's stuff as own units and not allies but not 100% sure about it.

Regarding the content of the BofBQ box, grave guard is useless as of today (and we will see if it gets better on the new book), morghasts might still be only playable as allies same as now... So considering that this box is still available at 20% discount in my region (so anyway I'll save a good amount of money) and also that this is the only way right now to get morghasts since their individual boxes are out of stock (despite not being clear what will happen to them in the near future after the release of the battletome), what do you think is the best option right now?

I'm leaning towards picking up just a few boxes of skeletons and a Wight King/Necromancer since they will most likely still be relevant after the battletome, and then waiting for the new release to make a decision about the next steps, That seems to be the safest bet right now. But then I think about all the money I could save with the big box, including a lot of extra stuff I'd get for conversions as well as 2 morghasts that are out of stock right now... I don't know, really :/

Bought the Battleforce in late Nov as I wanted to start a Death army and have built most of it now, though left off the weapons just in case (and can’t build my second Morghast as a piece is missing off the sprue but that’s another story). 

I did pick up a Necromancer as I have a very small amount of FEC and figure he’ll be useful for one if not both. 

At least it’s been a cheap month while we wait!!

Archived