Malign Portents - A Tale of ??? Warlords

12 hours ago, Mart81 said:

Can I ask what are you using for Blood knight? Do you have any pictures?

HB9UQpd.jpg

paVQZeQ.jpg

These are some early and late WIP shots. They are based on the HE caledor dragon riders, but use bits from the zombie kits, zombie dragon bits, FEC crypt horrors and lots of modeling chain and toothpicks. 

Oh and the vampire heads come from puppetswar.eu

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking out for an announcement this morning, but I think I might have imbued the 10th of January with more importance than it actually has with regards to the Malign Portents painting challenge. None the less, this puts us one month out from the deadline for the first part of the challenge, which is  due on 10th February2018.

Obviously this is a fairly tight deadline and is about getting an army to the table in time for the big reveal of Malign Portents, so if you're falling behind, do not be disheartened if you miss a deadline, keep plugging away and, if you need advice on speeding up, or anything else, then there seem to be some fantastic painters in this group, as well as on the wider forum, who I'm sure can advise (I know I'm going to be looking to use that resource :D).

So, I thought, as we're a month out, that it'd be worth doing a roll call of all involved. If you haven't joined in yet, no fear, just post in the thread and we'll get you added.

So for this Tale of 28 Warlords we have:

CHAOS

@Soulsmith - Nurgle

@Charles - Khorne Daemons

@CJPT - Khorne Bloodbound

@S133arcanite - Tzeentch

@Rumblefish - Slaves to Darkness / Maggotkin

@The Traitor - Host of Slaanesh / Daughters of Khaine

@Xelotath - Maggotkin

@AIdenNicol444 - Clan Pestilens

@Kirjava13 - Clan Skyre

DEATH

@Timmekez - Flesh Eater Courts

@TheCrimsonKing - Death

@FrederickD - Malignants

@Davariel - Flesh Eater Courts

@Mart81 - Death

@Elmir - Soulblight

@Jazarith - Death Rattle

DESTRUCTION

@Lord Panther - Iron Jawz

@Trokair - Iron Jawz

@Geckilian - Destruction

ORDER

@Melcavuk - Sylvaneth

@Lightbox - Daughters of Khaine

@Jamie the Jasper - Anvilgard

@keJ - Sylvaneth

@Tzaangor Management - Stormcast Eternals

@Mandano - Stormcast Eternals

@Smokeyprogg - Fyreslayers

@Atreides - Freeguild

@Lysandestolpe - Stormcast Eternals

Good luck all, really looking forward to seeing what people can do and seeing some awesome painted armies emerging!

I have 8 models left to do of my target after having taken a break from painting for a few days, hoping to get the fourth and fifth tree revenants done today and the rest has to wait until payday (19th) to buy and paint). Pretty confident I'll hit the target fine though.

2 hours ago, Soulsmith said:

I'm kind of surprised I'm the only straight nurgle contender! Poor destruction.

Yeah, I think we might see a surge in goblins if the Herald is heralding what I hope he is!

47 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

I have 8 models left to do of my target after having taken a break from painting for a few days, hoping to get the fourth and fifth tree revenants done today and the rest has to wait until payday (19th) to buy and paint). Pretty confident I'll hit the target fine though.

Great progress and they're looking amazing to boot.

I'm just about on target I think, with five Hunters just over half done. I may have been a little conservative with my offering, so I have a stretch goal of five Liberators if I get everything done in time, but would rather do some extra highlights I think if it's a choice between the two.

47 minutes ago, The Traitor said:

@Tzaangor Management: since my army is both usable as Hosts of Slaanesh or Daughters of Khaine maybe it would be better if you put me in the Chaos faction as there seems to be no other Slaanesh warlord and there's already a DoK one. Also I'll always be Chaos at heart :P!

Edited the post and conversions are looking awesome by the way!

I'm doing alright with my building progress I think. 1 death hag & 8 witches done.

Just gotta build up my medusa and cauldron of blood and then actually get painting.

I do not look forward to trying to paint the cauldron though... not used to painting big things :/

12 hours ago, Tzaangor Management said:

I was looking out for an announcement this morning, but I think I might have imbued the 10th of January with more importance than it actually has with regards to the Malign Portents painting challenge.

Dates have had me confused as well so i can understand. White dwarf has 13th of January as the day. Pg. 102/103. 10th of February sounds better.

1 hour ago, Mandano said:

Dates have had me confused as well so i can understand. White dwarf has 13th of January as the day. Pg. 102/103. 10th of February sounds better.

Definitely finishes on the 10th of February according to the Facebook post, but potentially why I couldn't find an announcement today... 10th is the important day to aim for though.

5a568e7962804_StartCollectingMP.jpg.c0764ead31a20ef10de3d1c25b4b6f42.jpg

@AIdenNicol444, have added you to the list. Welcome aboard and good luck!

Finished a bit more basing work to add more depth to the dirt mounds and contrast to the base, also altered the background thanks to some inspiration I was given based on the models appearance

The echoing reverberations of the rhythmatic beat being pounded out on a hundred drums echoed across the desolate marshes, great tongues of fire lashing out defiantly against the night sky from a massive bonfire taking heart in a small copse of trees that stood out against the boglike earth that travellers referred to as Deadsmans Rest. Yet still I edged closer, to find a beacon of light in this cold and desolate realm had stirred my interest, who... or indeed what would so defiantly stand out against the God of Eternal darkness in such reckless abandon.

As I neared the treeline I could see their shadows, dozens of tendrils of darkness cast in the flames light, curling and leaping in a frantic dance to the drum beat as they moved around the bonfire. Almost buried in the relentless onslaught of drum beat I could hear vague words being growled in a bestial tongue, yet I had to get close still if I was to decipher their fanatical chant. Edging my way through brambles, ignorant to the scratches they left gouging my skin, obsessed with discovering what secrets lay mere meters away I could finally steal a glimpse of the creatures performing some kind of primitive ritual.

Maybe a dozen creature lay before me engaged in foul shamanic rites, foul abominations of Man and Beast born of some dark gods will. Fur and hoof met flesh and sinew, furrowed brow of man giving way to jagged horn of goat, yet even these crude creatures seemed to have suffered at the hands of this unforgiving realm. Their forms were, to the best of my interpretations, gaunt... half starved even, pox marks and scars telling a story that a lesser man may even have found room in his heart to have sympathy for. But I had travelled too far, seen too much to pity beasts such as these, through the flickering flames I could see their shaman, the largest of the group by some measure and seemingly the one who had come through the realm least scarred. I could only assume that such beasts would feed their alpha first, whether willingly they did this through choice or threat of demise made yet another question I had no answer for. This beast stood far taller than any man I had seen, perhaps even passing the height of the soldiers of Sigmar himself, blackened fur and ivory horns daubed in foul sigils of a crimson hue that I had seen too often on the field of battle.

In all my time staring I had somehow deafened myself to the thunderous beat of the drummers beat, its noise now rushed at me once more as though a tidal wave threatening to drown my every sense, me I could see the Goatmen drummers nearby, each had devolved into a frenzied assault onto their hide-made instruments, the snorted blood from their nostrils from the sheer extertion of their efforts, I could only wonder how long these beasts had been performing this rite for such a toll to be taken. The noise accompanied by the braying of the herd around them, their words finally reaching my ears clearly enough to decipher such a primitive tongue.

It was a name... one I could neither put face nor locale to and yet deep inside me it invoked what I could only swear to be primal fear. It stirred something in me, the urge to flee flooding every sense and every muscle. Every breathe catching in throat and yet I remained locked in place as obsession and terror waged war within me. The echoing drum beat reached crescendo joined by a blood curdling roar from the shaman reverberating through the very ground on which I stood. The foul beast raised a crudely hewn bone dagger from his cloak and ran it across his throat without hesitation, his form instantly lifeless as he fell forward into the bonfire.

I could almost swear that I saw his spirit desert its now hollow shell... feel the air around me become cold as the grave as it passed me in a rush of air. Finally obsession found itself unworthy of the fight with terror and I found myself to be running, scrambling through broken branches and torturous nettles as I fell from the treeline into the mud below. Turning as I hit the boggy waters to look back I saw it... the trees themselves buckling and twisting, wrenching themselves free of their prisonlike roots. A bestial roar ripping through the cold nights air, that name again... than damnable name...

Morghur”

002.JPG

If it is still allowed I would like to rally to the side of Destruction and support my fellow Ironjawz.  Waaagh!

I have spent most of last year’s hobby time painting various 40k/30k stuff for events over on B&C and as I was finishing up my latest project over the last few weeks got the urge to paint my Ironjaws. I originally bought them mid to late 2016 (I think), assembled and undercoated them and had three or four games to learn AoS with (my first few games in AoS).

As it suggests a SC box I am going to attempt one Warchanter, three Gore-Gruntas and ten Ardboyz.

10th of Feb is rather close so I doubt I will finish in time, but as I am not on Facebook and unlikely to make it to a store I will just be joining in for the spirit and comradeship here, and as a motivational aid of cause.

The Grunters and the Warchanter already have a little green paint on the ork skin and one Grunter and the Warchanter also have some of the metal painted from back when i first assembled them. I hope this is ok.

Starting picture to follow.

Edit: Added Picture, hope this is an acceptable starting point. 

large.5a59f94d4e69a_TGAATaleofXGamers-Ma

8 hours ago, Trokair said:

If it is still allowed I would like to rally to the side of Destruction and support my fellow Ironjawz.  Waaagh!

Absolutely, in fact I think today is technically the first day of the challenge, so I think many of us have managed a stealth head-start :ph34r:. Welcome aboard!

That is without doubt the most disturbingly agile looking Treeman @Melcavuk. Great work!

The month two challenge is looking like it will be to paint the Herald for your Grand Alliance according to the Warhammer Community site (link below), so a great opportunity to make up ground if needed and also to see lots of different interpretations of the same four models. Month three has not been announced, although there are some leaked images floating about...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/13/malign-portents-the-muster-beginsgw-homepage-post-1/

I'm considering mirroring the Tale of Four Warlords that's happening in White Dwarf as well, but will see if there's appetite for that in this thread once we all get to the end of Month 3 and have a big Malign Portents reveal!

Have just applied varnish to my first unit, so hoping to have some progress to show, after basing by Monday!

19 hours ago, Trokair said:

Welcome to the party pal!

I managed to get a bit done over the weekend. 

IMG_9602.JPG.bfebefc28f93d1982d07aa7faa9ddfc8.JPG

Basing still needs to be done, I'm going to give that crackly paint a go. I've swapped in a couple of bonesplitterz heads to give them a more savage look. There's also not a single plate of armour that hasn't had some chunks carved out of it with the craft knife. Hopefully this brings the look a bit closer to the Brutes. Rather than do them a solid colour I also did them with more black and bare plates, they're not flash enough to get a lot of red paint. The Brutes will have some fancier armour.

Archived