Low Points Games...Who's Playing Them?

Mr. White

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I play AoS with a small group of friends and we usually play 500/750/1000 point games (despite everyone being able to field full 2K point armies). We find those games more fun, quicker and easier to play (especially when your time is limited and you are tired after you come back from work). 

I prefer 2000and bigger point value games more.

the reason is rather simple, as a skaven players it’s always impressive to play after the fluff and nothing beats the eye than to wield 200+ models on the table.

1000p are in the other hand also a great option since it gives beginners a kind start where they can try out a few things without having to move to many models, or if you’ve just got a new army smaller games are perfect to try them out.

still I find it very hard to use 1000point games in a Tournament or events.

some armies will heavily profit from such games, other again won’t, since it enables a faction to take heavy hitters, where other armies fail to do the same thing because of cost, or lack of enough bodies.

I mean GW have pushed bigger games a bit with the whole battalion system. If you want to play with any of those rules you need to be playing higher point games to fit it all in. I'm new so I'm perfectly happy playing 1000 pt games for now, but I definitively want to be able to use the battalion rules at some point and take advantage of the extra artefact, command point, etc. You just can't do that in lower point games.

Way down here in the deep south where we pay through the teeth, most casual & tournaments are 1k, unless you go to one of the bigger cities.

You don't get to use battalions or 500pt+ models, but as those are the things I see most often complained about as being broken one way or another, I don't feel like I'm missing out too much. 😅

I have tried 2000 points once. Didn't add too much to the experience, just more models and overlapping bonuses to keep track on. I play a lot of different games and have settled to armies of about 40 models to be the sweet spot for me, which in AoS fits the 1000 to 1500 point mark. Depending a bit on the army of course. Although have to say that the new Middle Earth SBG has mostly taken my time recently as it so much better game in that scale. 

Oh and as a note, 1000 points is better plyed ln 4x4 board. 

Archived