Dark Khorne Marauders (and mammoths!)

Thanks for the encouragement all, my first AoS army so all very exciting. Yes loving the female chieftan, definitely will find a place in the army. 

I have painted three of the bloodreavers now and absolutely love the miniatures. I have been giving a bit of side eye to the old marauders I have in the bits box, which are pretty poor in comparison. I decided to give them a bit of a chop around this evening, adding fur to the shoulders and adjusting the arms slightly. Still not 100% happy with the result and not sure if I'll include them in any army I field but feels like a minor improvement anyhow. q3waPti.jpgFBenNTl.jpg

The fur and the slight changes in the pose really make the marauders more interesting, the double handed axe guy looks very good, they might not be as detailed as the bloodreavers, but they're a good generic unit and I actually love to use them as a base for conversions because of how standard they are.

Looking for some advice. I'm going to use my bloodreavers as marauders as the shield save makes them better at objectives. So I guess I'll need to have a shield on them somewhere in order to be WYSIWYG. 

So, should I put the shield on the arms with the secondary weapon:

y8MyZR8.jpgIYRwDQt.jpg

Or do I put them on the back:

mB2ihpY.jpg

Jp1kBTw.jpg

Also final question. Marauders are on 25mm bases whereas bloodreavers are on 30mm. I know 25mm is better in game but I prefer the look of 30mm. Is it alright even though marauders come stock on 25mm?

You could mix it up, put the shields on the back of some of them, left hand of the rest. Go with what makes most sense for each model - no strap around his back to attach the shield to? Make him hold it. Standing in a pose in which it would be weird to hold a shield? Put it on his back.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still in two mind. May just go rule of cool and run them without shields. I've already gone for 30mm bases so I guess they might as well just be blood reavers. 

Here are my first 10. Pretty happy with how they're going. Might put a bit of gloss on some of the black armour for contrast. But not sure how that might look.

WPES2v0.jpg

Averaging about one a night now. Hopefully that will speed up as I have around 70 more to paint!

1 hour ago, BrocknerTheBear said:

Really like the scheme you've chosen. I'm also using the  bloodreaver models as marauders (And chosen technically) and I simply cut the knives away and used the handles as the shield grips (or modelled them to hide it). I really like the limited use of blood spatter as well. 

Bloodreavers are some of my favourite miniatures, just so much character and dynamism. 

Would love to see your conversions. Do you mind posting a pic or a link?

I kind of liked your colour scheme when you posted the first model not-quite-ready, but seeing them complete in a unit with those bases? Absolutely love it. Black+red+white is, of course, always quite striking, but you made it look amazing. The browns in between are great in that they "dampen" the scheme a little bit and tie it all together. My only criticism is that you haven't done the base rims yet!

@BrocknerTheBear Very nice conversions!

Archived