Las Vegas Open

BDJames

I'm super excited that Frontline Gaming is partnering with GW to have an official Age of Sigmar GT at the Las Vegas Open in Feb, 2017.  I've attended past LVOs, and they are a phenomenal event.  Truly the best gaming tournament, and overall scene, I've ever been to.  If anyone wants a reason to come to the western US, there is no better event than this one.

https://lasvegasopen.squarespace.com/home-1

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PWGde24mI8q2aeZIR4nhOnS7tmPP8uY2Jx50a5fEOOk/edit

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2016 at 7:20 PM, BDJames said:

I'm super excited that Frontline Gaming is partnering with GW to have an official Age of Sigmar GT at the Las Vegas Open in Feb, 2017.  I've attended past LVOs, and they are a phenomenal event.  Truly the best gaming tournament, and overall scene, I've ever been to.  If anyone wants a reason to come to the western US, there is no better event than this one.

https://lasvegasopen.squarespace.com/home-1

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PWGde24mI8q2aeZIR4nhOnS7tmPP8uY2Jx50a5fEOOk/edit

I have my tickets, me and the wife!  We'll see ya there!

• 3 weeks later...

The player packet for the Las Vegas Open tournament, which will be the first official games workshop grand tournament six years in the US, is out. And it's an absolute genius document. http://tinyurl.com/zkls4rt

The two things I love most about this packet:

1. Requiring that the winner have received at least one favorite opponent pin.  Brilliant.  

2. The sideboards provide a nice counter to battalion formations, and book special abilities.  While formations give bonuses, they limit your model selection.  Some players might be salty about not having a new shiny Sylvaneth book equivalent, with special abilities for staying pure faction etc.  But going just general "Order" in a sideboard format allows much more flexibility to design a force on the fly to meet scenarios, and your opponent.  So I think this is a great counter balance to the new books.

I personally don't like a sideboard with the GH scenarios. It takes a lot out of list building. With a sideboard it makes you write skewed lists for both your opponent and scenario, instead of building a balanced list from the get go. For example, in places of power, you just sideboard in all your characters when normally you would have to account for that in initial list building. In scenarios designed for it a sideboard is nice but the new GH scenarios are not designed for it. I disagree that it helps counter new books as they do not seem to be dominating anywhere right t now and if they are they are playing really skewed lists (e.g. 90 savage archers, 4 thundertusks) that will suffer normally, now they have free reign to tailor to an opponent who brought a list capable of punishing those skewed lists. Anyway I'm a little bummed as I was interested in the event but that kind of makes me wary. Also the pack has some really bad wording (picking a general, artifact, trait, allegience) before the game instead of after deployment when it is meant to be chosen. Just giving some feedback and constructive criticism, so don't send the Frontline fan boys after me ;)

2 hours ago, Stauderpower said:

I personally don't like a sideboard with the GH scenarios. It takes a lot out of list building. With a sideboard it makes you write skewed lists for both your opponent and scenario, instead of building a balanced list from the get go. For example, in places of power, you just sideboard in all your characters when normally you would have to account for that in initial list building. In scenarios designed for it a sideboard is nice but the new GH scenarios are not designed for it. I disagree that it helps counter new books as they do not seem to be dominating anywhere right t now and if they are they are playing really skewed lists (e.g. 90 savage archers, 4 thundertusks) that will suffer normally, now they have free reign to tailor to an opponent who brought a list capable of punishing those skewed lists. Anyway I'm a little bummed as I was interested in the event but that kind of makes me wary. Also the pack has some really bad wording (picking a general, artifact, trait, allegience) before the game instead of after deployment when it is meant to be chosen. Just giving some feedback and constructive criticism, so don't send the Frontline fan boys after me ;)

I tend to share your view, with a modification: Bringing two lists (and playing both at least once) seems like a sound middle-ground approach for AoS Pitched Battles. This allows you some list flexibility for the Pitched Battles, without introducing the high degree of list customization possible with a sideboard, as you noted. It also reduces pre-game setup. Players just choose one of two lists, rather than take 10-20 mins deciding what to use from their sideboard and how to make the points fit. 

With that said, we don't have hard data at this stage. It seems fine for folks to try out a sideboard with Pitched Battles. Let's try out different things and see what's working and what's not. 

Incidentally, Facehammer GT is doing 'bring two lists and play with both at least once.'

• 2 weeks later...

Archived