Points & New Rules - First Impressions

I played an epic 3 person 2000 point (6000 points on the table) game using the new point system for Age of Sigmar.

List wise, the battline has a major effect. You cant just bring 7 monsters anymore, you need 3 battleline units, and you want them each to have enough models to be a worthwhile unit. Compared to SCGT, this brings lists a bit back down to earth and you see a lot of infantry so it looks more like a battle then a monster mash. 

For me, I have been playing house rules with limited/no summoning so the game played out pretty normal for me. I had been using pool/SCGT or similar. The game is great, just as it always has been if you have been playing it with limited summoning and proper balance. 

I thought the new allegiance rules were going to blow the game open, but they were really just a light push. A Stormcast player used his lord on dracoth to ignore battleshock, so re-rolling battleshock really didn't matter. He rolled a nasty 6 for his retributors while they were off on their own, and so there was nothing he could do. For my death I used two rules to ignore death on a 5+. I thought this was going to be huge - but it turns out all your opponent needs to do is be smart and focus down your general. For magic items, a griphon had a 4 damage lance on the charge that whiffed, and my lords ability to heal a wound for each model slain doesn't do much when youre in combat with one big monster. 

The new rules are very situational. While I'm sure they have the potential to be utilized for great effect, they didn't seem to make the game any crazier. Everything seemed to play out as normal.

The main effect the Generals Handbook is that the wall has been torn down and the cold war is over. For the first time people are can actually talking about AoS in public. After a year of people mostly ignoring my games of AoS, people are starting to show interest, ask questions and and learn how to get involved. We had like 5 guys ask how to get involved during our game. Its as if AoS has suddenly been legitimized overnight. 

Funny the new rules make undead somewhat like the dreaded daemons from 8th with their 5+ wards. It can even get worse with a banner, and the spells to ignore more or boost saves. However, since all these are tied to chars you can dismantle this simply by focusing and killing the general and/or other heros, so its something you can deal with tactically (unlike daemons where all you could do was purple sun or lose). 

Archived