New Nurgle models

tea_wild_owl

8 hours ago, Aryann said:

I had some hopes for the Nurgle release. It easily could have been the most terrifying, feral and serious looking army. The one that gives you chills just by looking at it. Sure, not everybody has to want that. Same as not everybody has to like comedy, cartoon and clowning. I always thought that nurglings is the thing that ruins Nurgle's army feeling for me. Blightkings and Glottkin - if the whole army looked like that it would have been a masterpiece. Those "funny" new minis aren't for me.

A friend of mine who runs Slaves to Darkness was waiting for these minis as he wanted to expand his forces by joining a certain chaos god. He didn't like horticulus. He won't like new releases but as he tells me - rules before design. If warscrolls disappoint him we both will be playing Blades of Khorne as for the Chaos side. :/

Hmm, what to say man... I think that if you expected serious grimdark armies then maby new GW isnt for you altogether, Especially Nurgle has never been feral and very serious. Expecting that means missing the core design Nurgle and Nurglings revolve around. Having said that, there are enough terrifying models within this Nurgle design. The whole point is not thaking anything too serious. Even the Glottkin are an example of comedy in many ways.

If you feel you like the design of Blades of Khorne thats cool too. Make no mistake though the number of unit names starting with Blood or Skull is trough the roof. In addition the number of guys with Khorne logo's as their helmets is silly and comedy in it's own way. Don't thake anything too seriously in this game or 40K. It's not mend to be, it's fantasy.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Killax said:

Hmm, what to say man... I think that if you expected serious grimdark armies then maby new GW isnt for you altogether, Especially Nurgle has never been feral and very serious. Expecting that means missing the core design Nurgle and Nurglings revolve around. Having said that, there are enough terrifying models within this Nurgle design. The whole point is not thaking anything too serious. Even the Glottkin are an example of comedy in many ways.

If you feel you like the design of Blades of Khorne thats cool too. Make no mistake though the number of unit names starting with Blood or Skull is trough the roof. In addition the number of guys with Khorne logo's as their helmets is silly and comedy in it's own way. Don't thake anything too seriously in this game or 40K. It's not mend to be, it's fantasy.

I think it's pretty accurate to say Nurgle has always been the most fun and cheerful of the Chaos gods.  Deadly? Yes. Gross? Yes. But mainly fun. That's kind of from inception (or as far back as my lore memory goes without researching).

Yes, the lore always talks about the joyful followers of nurgle spreading the plagues like blessings to the populace after all. And I don't know about you, but that can be something creepy too. Not only gore horror is scary, the thought of other beings with a vision of reality so warped that they view death and disease as a blessing and strive to spread it as much as possible is terrifying too.

Plus, it's a different view that adds layers of depth to the Nurgle background. 

Yeah if we look into it we can see that Nurgle has been this way well over 25 years now. Really since it's inception in lost and the damned Nurgle has been the plaguefather, humorous but terrifying aswell. The latter largely draws from the gorey aspect that is there. Again though nothing in WFB or 40K or AoS is really super serious anyway, it kind of defeats the point of having fun with continuous battles. 

If a player wants terrifying and feral aspects I'd say Flesh-eater Courts is really where it's at at the moment, but since AoS they too have a dark humor within them. Better put this has been the prime concept for GW too make unpredictable miniatures too. If they would thake all design too seriously it becomes quite frankly hard to create new ideas. If anything I'd say GW's design suffered massively if they decided to go for "serious models" or designs completely bound by old lore.

The way GW handled Nurglings this time is also the best ever. They have become some mini-characters and I have to say I love it. If anything I wish Khorne or Slaanesh had similar concepts. I think GW made a fantastic move introducing Brimstone Horrors which in the future might represent those kinds of familiars too. Thinking about it a small daemonic skull collector for Khorne would even blend in quite well. A lot of fun with skulls and axe carriers could be had.
In fact some of the Khorne Adrian Smith art even has some kind of daemonic flying skull khorne familiar.

8 hours ago, Killax said:

Hmm, what to say man... I think that if you expected serious grimdark armies then maby new GW isnt for you altogether, Especially Nurgle has never been feral and very serious. Expecting that means missing the core design Nurgle and Nurglings revolve around.

New GW is all in the industry I've been hoping for. Fresh and brave designs of races. Stormcasts, Fyreslayers and Kharadron Overlords are good examples how old fantasy races can be given new breath. I'm really waiting for Aelves, especially rumoured Cthulhu Elves. I can't imagine myself collecting old fashioned medieval human army or anything repeted hundreds of times in various titles.

26 minutes ago, Killax said:

Again though nothing in WFB or 40K or AoS is really super serious anyway, it kind of defeats the point of having fun with continuous battles. 

There is a huge difference between overdesigning Khorne with skulls and a green creature with a silly face riding a large snail with a nurgling as a bait. It doesn't correspond to well to eachother. Still, I understand some enjoy this kind of breaking the grimdark ice. Orks and goblins are another example of funny army when we look at the past minis but Ironjawz went a different path, more appealing to me. If I were to give an example of funny but still scary mini I would go for the Fungoid Cave-Shaman. I really like that model and as far as I don't like "funny goblins" I would certainly be interested in a whole army designed like him. But then if I look again at the new Nurgle minis I think I would just remove Horticulus, the mouth on the spoilpox and small nurglings that are probably mremovable like owls or catepillars in the Sylvaneth army. Sylvaneth is a perfect example for me of how to make a serious but not gory army.

1 hour ago, Aryann said:

There is a huge difference between overdesigning Khorne with skulls and a green creature with a silly face riding a large snail with a nurgling as a bait. It doesn't correspond to well to eachother. Still, I understand some enjoy this kind of breaking the grimdark ice. Orks and goblins are another example of funny army when we look at the past minis but Ironjawz went a different path, more appealing to me. If I were to give an example of funny but still scary mini I would go for the Fungoid Cave-Shaman. I really like that model and as far as I don't like "funny goblins" I would certainly be interested in a whole army designed like him. But then if I look again at the new Nurgle minis I think I would just remove Horticulus, the mouth on the spoilpox and small nurglings that are probably mremovable like owls or catepillars in the Sylvaneth army. Sylvaneth is a perfect example for me of how to make a serious but not gory army.

I certainly agree with your first point. In terms of this quoted second I agree much less so. If you look at the Bloodbound monsters, Khorgoraths, Skaarac and the other Daemon Princes provided by Forgeworld you see much more fun designs. Khorgoraths for example have Skulls implemented into them. If anything it actually looks more like something a necromancer would create. Ruleswise opening rifts to the realm of Khorne with a 'lollipop' or 'axe in a crabby-hand' is all humor in their own way. There are a lot of skulls and hooks involved with Khorne next to their iconic helmets but there are still enough odd/funny things left.

I do think that Horticulous is unique within Nurgle and you most certainly do not have to play him or any of the Nurglings if you do not want to. Other that that partially rotten, wounded and losing of guts isn't really humours at all. It's part of the things that give me nightmares when somebody shows some real life gorey stuff. 

In Sylvaneth I see enough humour with small female trees with honey-cone armour in larger trees. I mean... No, nothing really is too serious in AoS' newest ranges. Same applies for 40K. It just completely depends where you want to focus on. The game isn't made for an adult audience only so if that's what you wanted again other games would provide you more. Having said that I love the look of CMONs upcomming HATE game but in reality those weapons and armour combinations shouldn't be taken too seriously either.

For me there is only really one serious market and those are the bigger scale models, which GW doesn't really do now. I say this because the bigger scales capture emotions much better as these smaller scales models do. This is because these sculpts allow for experessions in faces which add all the dramatical effects that you want.

In terms of nurgles background, liber chaotica is a good read. It expands on the idea that nurgle is not the god of plagues themselves, but they are simply his best means of influence. Nurgle is the manifestation of the hopelessness, terror, and inevitability of the mortal races. It is when a being gives in to the physical and spiritual torment of nurgles rot they become a plaguebearer, not simply when they die. Only when they give up does nurgle release them to daemonhood.

His joy is a juxtaposition to the source of his power. He's not happy til you're not happy.

Archived