Rule of one - Team Event

freakshot3

Question

I am looking for some clarification, if possible, on the rule of one as it pertains to team events. By team event I'm referring to the 2-Man, 1000pt each Team Tournaments similar to those at Adepticon and the like.

From what I can tell, there is no definitive published ruling, in the Coalition of Death or otherwise, on whether or not the rule of one extends to the team, or just inside of one players individual 1000pt army. For example, is it possible for both me and my partner to cast Mystic Shield, Arcane Bolt, etc.. 

It's entirely possible that this is a tournament by tournament ruling, and there is no official ruling on this.  I'm just trying to avoid any pitfalls in list building, and game planning for an upcoming doubles tournament. 

Thanks for the help!

2 answers to this question

Coalition of death rules say that "the armies belonging to the players on a team are treated as a single army during setup and during the battle, and treat other models from the team's armies as being friendly models." (GHB 2017, p. 14) Since all your models are part of the same army, that would imply only one of each spell can be cast per team, not per player; the rules explicitly call this out for unbinding at least. Anecdotally, this is how I've seen one tournament handle the rule. To be absolutely sure I would double check with whoever is running the event you're attending, they may interpret it differently. Also, if you assume you can't double up on spells you'll be in better shape than if you assume you can!

Archived