Retrospect: Beastmen a Destruction missed opportunity?

AthlorianStoners

Sometimes I can't help but think that GW missed an opportunity by not moving Beastmen over to Destruction at the dawn of AOS. I feel they have more in line with that faction aesthetically/gameplay wise, and they would be much more useful in Destruction. While it would be a lore change, it is possible. Perhaps after generations the Beastmen lose their chaos tain and become a normal (albeit highly destructive) race, with those Beastmen still attuned to Chaos becoming Tzaangors/Pestigors etc.

I know this is of course not for everyone, just looking for some discussion on the topic :) 

Get where you are coming from... All depends on how the rules let them play in my mind. The current playstyle really works, lore wise your suggestion is good. 

But... it would be a shame, because removing them from chaos, brayherds together with the warherds, means removing most of the 'monsterous' range.

Actually this is a really good point. Especially given that the home realm of destruction is Ghur, realm of beasts.

Suggest it on the sigmar Facebook page, would make for an awesome event with some new beastmen special characters.

A new beastlord arrises and the chaos gods each send an emessary to try and control the brayherd. A corrupted brayshaman arrives and gains the ear of some of the herd, nurgles rot begins to set into them birthing a new wave of pestigors, then the Lord of change begins to twist others into zangors. Lastly a doombull, held firmly in the sway of khorne comes from within.

Lo does the everchosen arrive with his army and they begin the assault of hammerhall, used as the first wave the beastmen suffer immense casulties before the siege is broken, the khorngors, driven into an unnending, are entirely wiped out going so far as to slaughter other beastmen around them while in the grips of their frenzy. The tzangors are the first to retreat when, in the midst of battle the Lord of change who birthed them suddenly withdraws leaving the rest of the army overextended and very expossed.

As the battle turns to a full scaLe retreat grandfather nurgle unleashes a great plague which devestates humans, dawi and beastmen alike.

The pitiful remains of the once great brayherd withdraw they find the forces of the everchosen, still mostly intact, harrying a bedraggled army of order, in a rage the beastlord executes the pestilent brayshaman and the herd kills what remains of the pestigors before throwing themselves upon the forces of the everchosen.

Combined the force of human, dawi, aelves and beastmen break archeons grqnd army before retreating to Ghur.

Bit rough but adds a two new units for khorne/nurgle and seperates beastmen from chaos.

I think it was mostly: Don't remove entire armies from their obvious allies. The Hordes of Chaos was the only real mixed army in Warhammer Fantasy, so having Demons, Warriors, and Beastmen together was something that had been a bit of a tradition, and having people suddenly unable to do that outside of casual Open Play games seems like a feel bad. It is, I believe, a similar reason Dark Elves stayed in Order, seeing as all the elves could be run together during the End Times. They JUST sold people on that idea, would be silly to rip it away from them. And yes, I know the mixed army thing was a more recent reintroduction, but still. 

On the other hand, I do look forward to NEW Destruction races, something beyond Orcs, Goblins, and Ogres. And something like the Beastmen would be epic: an epic raiding party that plunders and pillages only to fade away right afterwards. Very unOrky....though could fit some goblins...

Beastmen were probably my second favorite army during 7th and 8th editions, but I never collected them because they seemed like a poor man's version of O&G.  Similar in concept but with less variety.  

My take is that Destruction doesn't need more monstrous looking humans.  Part of the reason that I'm really cool on Fimir as well.

The problem is obviously that the lore would have to change fundamentally. Beastmen are creatures of Chaos, not just allies. They are un-human and hate humans because they cannot be like humans.

Nonetheless in many ways they "feel" more like a destruction army. And Seraphon lore also changed drastically, so why not. But as long as beastmen stay somewhat tainted I cannot see them in destruction. Destruction is the balance between chaos and order.

Archived