Game 8 Blades of Khorne versus Fyreslayers and Stormcast

Greetings from the Warp

Hi all, game 8 with my Blades of Khorne versus a mate called Mike and his Fyreslayers and Stormcast Order army.

We played Battle for the Pass, 2000 points and matched play.

This was a great game, as have never played the mission or either army before. I went in with zero expectations of pulling anything from the game lol, save a bit of dignity…

Mike ran:

Runesmiter, Battlesmith, 2 x 20 Volkite Berserkers, 10 Hearthguard Berserkers, Magmadroth, 2 x Venators, 2 x 5 Judicators, 5 x Liberators and 2 x Fulminators.

When Mike was taking me through his army, or what some of the effects or features are I was like wow how will I ever get through these Fyreslayers 4+ rerolling save against Mortals doh?!

At one stage, some units were getting a save, then a save against mortals or damage, and then rerolling that save wowsers?!?!?

I used the same list have been using for last 5 odd games now, and was a Gore Pilgrims Warscroll, backed up by 2 x 30 Bloodletters and 2 Bloodthirsters. A key difference this time however was Harvester of Skulls on the WoKBT, and the Banner of Khorne on the Bloodsecrator.

I dropped first and went first, as had only 6 drops. My deployment was standard, Bloodletters central left and right of middle, WoKBT in middle by Bloodsecrator, IRBT on the outside of my right Bloodletter unit, Blood Warriors on flanks, and Bloodreavers covering my rear and my harem of Hero’s.

Turn One; I go first=

• Everything powers up, Portal opens, Killing Frenzy on both Bloodletter units

• Everything moved up, Bloodletters central, WoKBT moves across to middle, and the IRBT moves to right flank

• Bloodreavers continuing to protect rear and characters

• Bloodsecrator trying to hide behind a rock in middle 

• A nice quick and simple turn, scored 5 points as held both objectives in no-man’s land and my deployment zone one

Chaos = 5 v Order = 0  

• Mike had deployed his Fulminators, Venator and Judicators on his right flank, a centre full of the bulk of his Fyreslayers backed up with Judicators, and a single Venator on his left

• All his Fyreslayer Hero’s did their auras, command traits and so-on… The biggie was most units were now immune to Battleshock

• Mike had cleverly positioned both Venators on his wide flanks, and moved them up to be able to snipe on my characters in the middle

• The Runesmiter and 20 Volkite Berserkers teleport 9” behind me and threatens my Bloodreavers and Hero base

• Shooting, and the HUGE news was both Venators missed with the super sniper arrows!!!!! This saved my Bloodsecrator, and my IRBT, which had already lost 5 wounds to pesky Judicators

• He charged his Fulminators into my Bloodletters on my left flank, doing around 7 wounds

• Bloodletters with 20+ unit size and Killing Frenzy were doing mortals on 4+’ and mortal’ed the Fulminators off

• Mike scored his base objective

Chaos = 5 v Order = 1  

Turn Two; Big news lol I managed to pull-off going first…

• Powered everything up, opened Portal, and only managed 1 Killing Frenzy this time, onto some Bloodletters in my centre

• Lord of the Blood Hunt on the WoKBT

• Shock lol, a Slaughterpriest failed Bloodboil even with rerolls… I was hoping to dent the unit of Berserkers behind me

• Everything moved up, Blood Warriors stayed near the no-man’s land objectives, and all my Hero’s bunched around the Bloodreavers in my rear, anticipating a lucky 8” charge from the Fyreslayers

• No shooting really, 2 wounds on the Magmadroth with the WoKBT Bloodflail

• Combat – we had loads of Khorne charges it was all rocking off lol!!!

• On my left, Bloodletters into the Judicators (that were behind the killed Fulminators)

• In the centre, WoKBT into Volkite Beserkers, Bloodletters into Hearthguard, IRBT into Hearthguard and the Runesmith

• Activate my WoKBT first, with 8 attacks and does 20 wounds / kills 14 of the 20 Volkite Berserkers

• During the combat phase, Bloodletters kill Liberators, Bloodletters kill 9 Hearthguard, IRBT does 2 wounds on Runesmith and last 2 Hearthguard

• Mikes centre is crumbling

Chaos = 10 v Order = 1  

• Mike does some clever shenanigan with removing casualties and makes room for his Magmadroth to get properly in combat

• A stupid axe from a stupid wounded Runesmith lol, takes the head off the wounded IRBT (poor BT everything was shooting it lol)

• The Venator on his right flank moves into combat

• The Volkite Berserkers in my deployment zone move up ad pull of a plucky 8” charge into 2 Slaughterpriests and 10 Bloodreavers

• The centre and all the carnage continues to go my way, however the wounded Magmadroth continues smashing me with its tail and blood at the end of combat phase

• I lose 5 Bloodreavers to the Volkite Berserkers and Mike outnumbers me so scores my base objective

Chaos = 10 v Order = 5 

Turn Three; We both needed it, however Mike was running out of units in his board half… Blood for the Blood God – we get to go first again…

• Everything powers up

• A wounded ******-face Slaughterpriest fails his 2nd Bloodboil prayer and does 3 mortal wounds to himself and kills himself lol ******!

• HUGE game changer, sitting on 6 Blood Tithe points, at the end of my Hero phase I burn them all for APOPLECTIC FRENZY and piled with WoKBT and killed off the Magmadroth

• This was Huge as it meant then in my movement phase I was able to fly onto his base objective and kill off the 3 Judicators sitting close by

THE END…

We called it there, as I was 19-5 by the end of my turn. Mike had a single Venator in his half, and about 10 Volkite Berserkers scrapping over by base objective. Depending how that scrap went in his following turn it could have been perhaps 19-9?

He had no way to score objectives and catch up, and in the middle I still had a decent sized Bloodletter unit, another unit with about 6 Bloodletters, my WoKBT and both Blood Warrior units. Then in my half, I had a Slaughterpriest, Bloodstoker, BloodSecrator and 5 BloodReavers.

Awesome game, Mike was a great opponent, huge carnage, and totally unexpected result, genuinely still shocked as I write this lol. Continued to learn loads about the game and my army.

F058AEFB-6141-472E-A792-22B5D33FB3C9.png

7AAEB7F9-C92C-4358-BFE0-236234252AC0.png

1 hour ago, Praecautus said:

Your posts keep making me want to buy a blood thirster to add to my mortals; but silver tower is looking temping. One is going to have to wait ?

Hahaha great stuff.. So some might called me biased lol, but BT’s all day long!!

I guess it depends on your list and what you have and what you need and the synergy etc!?

That said, when I first used them as single and then a pair, they would die super easy and would never make their points back.. However through practice I am now starting to know better where to stick them and when, who to use them against and what artefacts or traits work well on them.

I hugely recommend 101% defo say you need 1 in your list!?! I would even be as bold to say 2 is pretty awesome..!!

Moments like when a WoKBT does 23 damage on a unit, or when the big base and footprint of an IRBT gives all models within 8” extra attacks on 6’s (or better if have Killing frenzy on them), and you generate tons more attacks ?!! The best I’ve had with the IRBT and Crimson Crown is 7 attack’s hitting on 3’s (killing frenzy), extra attacks on 5’s, wounding on 2’s and doing D6 damage each!!!

Admittingly I haven’t yet tried units like Wrathmongers etc, so that would be interesting to see where and how they work in my list!? At least for now and the next while I’ll crack on using double BT’s?

Haha it is tempting. I have spent all year painting up a mortal army and just getting to use it fully painted now. I think a change of silver tower would be nice and then get a BT at bonus time. But then - blood thirster ?

My mortal list is pretty good fun

Mighty lord of khorne 

Lord on juggernaut

2 priests 

Blood stoker

blood secrator

20 blood reavers

10 blood warriors

10 blood warriors

3 khorgorath

5 wrath mongers

5 skull reapers

gore pilgrims

Awesome write-up @Greetings from the Warp.

As someone who has always been intrigued by the IRBT, I must ask: have you ever had any ridiculous Outrageous Carnage triggers (ie. multiple wound rolls of 6 that trigger a hefty amount of MWs)? I assume it's rare, but I always thought it was a funny rule that could lead to some awesomeness/hilarity.

Also - in turn 3 you mention burning your BT points to use Apoplectic Frenzy after firing off some other buffs. Don't the latest Chaos Rules Errata state that you can only burn BT points at the beginning of the phase? I would 100% love for that not to be the case, but that was my read...text here:

BoK.png.011d518103cf6661d651a9051d942216.png

EDIT: Also - doesn't seem like your burning of the points later in the phase made a huge difference or anything, so not suggesting that this had significant impact on the game, or that you purposely played this for your advantage or anything. Just curious myself!

3 hours ago, Praecautus said:

Haha it is tempting. I have spent all year painting up a mortal army and just getting to use it fully painted now. I think a change of silver tower would be nice and then get a BT at bonus time. But then - blood thirster ?

My mortal list is pretty good fun

Mighty lord of khorne 

Lord on juggernaut

2 priests 

Blood stoker

blood secrator

20 blood reavers

10 blood warriors

10 blood warriors

3 khorgorath

5 wrath mongers

5 skull reapers

gore pilgrims

Hey that sounds like a really solid Bloodbound army mate! Sounds like loadsnof fun and loads of bodies on the table!

It would be interesting to hear your take on how blocks of 20 Bloodreavers, and units of 10 Blood Warriors work!?

Khorgaraths are another unit that sound great on paper, however sadly I’m not sure I like the model so even despite rules, I’m not sure I’ll ever use them at the minute!?

3 hours ago, Render said:

Awesome write-up @Greetings from the Warp.

As someone who has always been intrigued by the IRBT, I must ask: have you ever had any ridiculous Outrageous Carnage triggers (ie. multiple wound rolls of 6 that trigger a hefty amount of MWs)? I assume it's rare, but I always thought it was a funny rule that could lead to some awesomeness/hilarity.

Also - in turn 3 you mention burning your BT points to use Apoplectic Frenzy after firing off some other buffs. Don't the latest Chaos Rules Errata state that you can only burn BT points at the beginning of the phase? I would 100% love for that not to be the case, but that was my read...text here:

BoK.png.011d518103cf6661d651a9051d942216.png

EDIT: Also - doesn't seem like your burning of the points later in the phase made a huge difference or anything, so not suggesting that this had significant impact on the game, or that you purposely played this for your advantage or anything. Just curious myself!

Hey dude thanks for the post..

Sad face have not rolled once for Outrageous Carnage yet in 8 games!!

I am due it though lol can feel it!! When it comes it will be 8 x 6’s I know it!!!!

Oh wow thanks for the FAQ extract.

My understanding was it was FAQ’ed and nerf to either the start or the end of either players Hero phase, hence why in my game I did it at the end of the game. Trying to understand what difference it made, like you say it’s pretty small I think literally I had the Portal open by then so I benefitted by +1 attack and thats about it.. I didn’t cast Killing Frenzy in the BT, so hopefully not too much impact through it..!?

57 minutes ago, Praecautus said:

The khorgies have been MVP in my last few battles. Ripped apart morghasts, gore chariots and saurus knights to take objectives. I love em, but I use chaos spawn as counts as

Have to say for 80 points too, cost of a Chaos Chariot they’re so good value!!

I defo can see value in 2-3 of them!!

I could perhaps drop 5 Blood Warriors to try one out, however that would then make me 40 points short? 

10 minutes ago, Greetings from the Warp said:

Hey dude thanks for the post..

Sad face have not rolled once for Outrageous Carnage yet in 8 games!!

I am due it though lol can feel it!! When it comes it will be 8 x 6’s I know it!!!!

Oh wow thanks for the FAQ extract. My understanding was it was FAQ and nerf to either the start or the end of either players Hero phase, hence why in my game I did it at the end of the game.  Trying to understand what difference it made, like you say it’s oretty small I think literally I had the Portal open so +1 attack and that it. Hopefully not too much impact through it..!?

Not once for Outrageous Carnage?! How unlucky. Well, if you keep the IRBT in the list, I will look forward to reading another one of these battle reports and finally seeing the day when you pull it off.

Yeah, seems like not much of an impact re: BT points!

Archived