Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Will Myers

Malign Portents

If I haven't read any AoS novels, but know that on the whole Warhammer novels do not have... hm... the most stellar reputation as far as literature goes, would you still recommend Soul Wars to me? Mr. Reynolds' reputation precedes him, but I'm still a bit wary...

24 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

If I haven't read any AoS novels, but know that on the whole Warhammer novels do not have... hm... the most stellar reputation as far as literature goes, would you still recommend Soul Wars to me? Mr. Reynolds' reputation precedes him, but I'm still a bit wary...

Definitely.

Make sure you've read the 50 Malign Portents stories before you start Soul Wars, though... ;) 

(And the two other from White Dwarfs ; "Siniester Omens" and "Dig Deep" !)

Then BL novels are to necessarily liked because of their "literary quality" per se, there are other factors like good world-building, Easter eggs, expanding on existing lore in  meaningful ways, etc.

I agree that BL stuff absolutely has its qualities, and I read my fair share of Gaunt's Ghosts back in the day, but I have a kid and a job and minis to paint, and games to play, and when I read, Philip Pullman is frankly a more compelling lure than an unknown quantity. If you reliable TGA peeps can reassure me, I'll dip for Soul Wars, but I don't want to drop cash for it then realise I'm reading dreck.

Can't wait to read Soul Wars. Now if only Black Library gets back to m e soon about the 404 error I get trying to download it.  :p

Kirjava13, have you checked the excerpt for the book? It might give you a good idea of whether it's worth the money and time to buy.

Edited by Akylas
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

I agree that BL stuff absolutely has its qualities, and I read my fair share of Gaunt's Ghosts back in the day, but I have a kid and a job and minis to paint, and games to play, and when I read, Philip Pullman is frankly a more compelling lure than an unknown quantity. If you reliable TGA peeps can reassure me, I'll dip for Soul Wars, but I don't want to drop cash for it then realise I'm reading dreck.

There's a free excerpt in last month's White Dwarf. You can also download the same (I think) excerpt from the BL site. Read it (it's about...5,000 words, maybe?) and see if you bounce off, without having to worry about buyer's remorse. 

Also, fair warning, I am...several leagues below Philip Pullman in terms of ability. I like to think I'm good to decent, but I am not that level, yet. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, JReynolds said:

There's a free excerpt in last month's White Dwarf. You can also download the same (I think) excerpt from the BL site. Read it (it's about...5,000 words, maybe?) and see if you bounce off, without having to worry about buyer's remorse. 

Also, fair warning, I am...several leagues below Philip Pullman in terms of ability. I like to think I'm good to decent, but I am not that level, yet. 

Of course! I had absolutely forgotten the free excerpt. I'll have a crack at it this afternoon, cheers.

@JReynolds

Can we get an entire novel or just series of short stories about Crelis Arul? I found her the most interesting character in the story on the side of Death, and that includes the Mortarchs and Nagash. 

10 minutes ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

@JReynolds

Can we get an entire novel or just series of short stories about Crelis Arul? I found her the most interesting character in the story on the side of Death, and that includes the Mortarchs and Nagash. 

Ha! She might pop up later, if I can find the right story for her. 

• Like 2