Malign Portents

Will Myers

On 6/26/2018 at 10:14 PM, michu said:

At least it was made in really funny fashion. Nagash was so arrogant bragging about outsmarting his opponents and then a little surprise happened:

Khorne - check

Nurgle - check

Tzeentch - check

Sigmar - check

Aelven gods - check

Gorkamorka - check

Great Horned Rat - che..oops!!

EDIT: I also wanted to say that being consdered upstarts is good for us, yes-yes. No one is taking us-us seriously and then inevitable happens. :) 

Well in fairness, Tzeentch probably had a hand in this too, judging by the fiction that's been released so far. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

yes, I'm nearly there at chapter 17, should have it finished by tonight.  I haven't been able to put it down!

What gripped me about the book is the overall message about the twin gods.

Is Soul Wars worth reading for someone who isn't interested in Nagash or Stormcast, and doesn't like reading about battles? I've read a few of the Realgate Wars series and wasn't too keen on them, so I don't know if Soul Wars will be similar. 

I've just finished it..

5 hours ago, shinros said:

What gripped me about the book is the overall message about the twin gods.

11 hours ago, shinros said:

Finished the book the end was pretty interesting in my opinion.

Yes to both, and wholly unexpected.  The battle at the end was almost Gaiman-esque in its execution.  The epilogue was very interesting as well, and the way that perspective was delivered, especially as the theme of the death army being a multi faceted extension of Nagash's own will.

Some great twists, and also teasing us with the humanity and mortality that still resides in the heart of every stormcast was very welcome.

The best part for me is that this book has allowed me to really get behind stormcast as a faction.  I've not opened my boxed set yet, promising myself I'd read this novel first before getting the clippers out.

The other thing which caught my attention was the "random" big slab of text to do with the champion of slaanesh.  I get the feeling he'll break free sooner rather than later, and I can't help but feel that its him stealing the little shard of stormcast soul every time.

A great read. :)

5 hours ago, Enoby said:

Is Soul Wars worth reading for someone who isn't interested in Nagash or Stormcast, and doesn't like reading about battles? I've read a few of the Realgate Wars series and wasn't too keen on them, so I don't know if Soul Wars will be similar. 

there are still battles and stormcast in it- it's essentially the siege of the city in the starter box being played out, but there is also some wonderful work on the metaphysics of the two gods - the juxtaposition of freely given and forcibly taken, of reward and punishment and liberty and shackle.

And if nothing else the last chapter and the epilogue make the whole rollercoaster worthwhile.

If I haven't read any AoS novels, but know that on the whole Warhammer novels do not have... hm... the most stellar reputation as far as literature goes, would you still recommend Soul Wars to me? Mr. Reynolds' reputation precedes him, but I'm still a bit wary...

24 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

If I haven't read any AoS novels, but know that on the whole Warhammer novels do not have... hm... the most stellar reputation as far as literature goes, would you still recommend Soul Wars to me? Mr. Reynolds' reputation precedes him, but I'm still a bit wary...

Definitely.

Make sure you've read the 50 Malign Portents stories before you start Soul Wars, though... ;) 

(And the two other from White Dwarfs ; "Siniester Omens" and "Dig Deep" !)

Then BL novels are to necessarily liked because of their "literary quality" per se, there are other factors like good world-building, Easter eggs, expanding on existing lore in  meaningful ways, etc.

I agree that BL stuff absolutely has its qualities, and I read my fair share of Gaunt's Ghosts back in the day, but I have a kid and a job and minis to paint, and games to play, and when I read, Philip Pullman is frankly a more compelling lure than an unknown quantity. If you reliable TGA peeps can reassure me, I'll dip for Soul Wars, but I don't want to drop cash for it then realise I'm reading dreck.

Can't wait to read Soul Wars. Now if only Black Library gets back to m e soon about the 404 error I get trying to download it.  :p

Kirjava13, have you checked the excerpt for the book? It might give you a good idea of whether it's worth the money and time to buy.

6 hours ago, Kirjava13 said:

I agree that BL stuff absolutely has its qualities, and I read my fair share of Gaunt's Ghosts back in the day, but I have a kid and a job and minis to paint, and games to play, and when I read, Philip Pullman is frankly a more compelling lure than an unknown quantity. If you reliable TGA peeps can reassure me, I'll dip for Soul Wars, but I don't want to drop cash for it then realise I'm reading dreck.

There's a free excerpt in last month's White Dwarf. You can also download the same (I think) excerpt from the BL site. Read it (it's about...5,000 words, maybe?) and see if you bounce off, without having to worry about buyer's remorse. 

Also, fair warning, I am...several leagues below Philip Pullman in terms of ability. I like to think I'm good to decent, but I am not that level, yet. 

3 hours ago, JReynolds said:

There's a free excerpt in last month's White Dwarf. You can also download the same (I think) excerpt from the BL site. Read it (it's about...5,000 words, maybe?) and see if you bounce off, without having to worry about buyer's remorse. 

Also, fair warning, I am...several leagues below Philip Pullman in terms of ability. I like to think I'm good to decent, but I am not that level, yet. 

Of course! I had absolutely forgotten the free excerpt. I'll have a crack at it this afternoon, cheers.

10 minutes ago, Ar-Pharazôn said:

@JReynolds

Can we get an entire novel or just series of short stories about Crelis Arul? I found her the most interesting character in the story on the side of Death, and that includes the Mortarchs and Nagash. 

Ha! She might pop up later, if I can find the right story for her. 

Archived