Malign Portents

Will Myers

Could be a vampire handmaiden that is sent to infiltrate villages and get more followers for Nagash? In the whole scheme of things, it seems like anyone could do menial work to try to raise their god's powers and influence? And perhaps the lady is less likely to be a martial vampire so she has to lie low and spread Nagash's influence some other way which was shown to be 'protecting' others.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to tell you a Vampire does not turn someone by draining their blood in Warhammer Fantasy. (As someone pointed out, if this was how it was spread there would be way more Vampires.)

The way a Vampire is created is that they have to drain someone to the brink of death taking a fatal amount of blood from them. Then the vampire has to give the drained person some of their blood. This is decently difficulty for some vampires as they find it hard to stop draining their victim at that point and sometimes they are too slow in giving their blood away before the drained expire. 

Because the person has to drink the blood this also means the transformation pretty much has to be willing. 

I just read it that she was  necromancer or some other follower of Nagash, ending lives simply to amass souls for the Skeleton Pope. I got the impression that the healer was just going to be killed, not necessarily turned - I didn't really see anything to suggest the cloaked woman was a vampire (no references to fangs, or blood etc) and the soldier says she's just been killing those that the she takes. I can't imagine a vampire would particularly like to drink blood that's been tainted by Nurgle, but once a person is dead, they're soul can be pressed into the service of Nagash and his servants.

There may well be a new "state" of undead.  We're currently only talking about Alive, Undead and Vampire, it's possible that they could introduce something between Alive and Vampire/Undead.

Nagash's influence has clearly changed as we read in the story with the village that had given itself over to Nagash - Nurgle couldn't touch it and it was anathema to even his most loyal followers.  That's new, although Nurgle may not be able to corrupt the followers of Nagash, not being able to even plant anything to my knowledge hasn't occurred previously.

Regardless of what that woman is, I just think it's really cool that the forces of Order are arguably doing worse things (the purge) to stop the gifts of Nurgle while Nagash is being portrayed as a saviour. 

AoS does have a lot more interesting morality setting than the more black and white old WHFB world. 

16 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

There may well be a new "state" of undead.  We're currently only talking about Alive, Undead and Vampire, it's possible that they could introduce something between Alive and Vampire/Undead.

Nagash's influence has clearly changed as we read in the story with the village that had given itself over to Nagash - Nurgle couldn't touch it and it was anathema to even his most loyal followers.  That's new, although Nurgle may not be able to corrupt the followers of Nagash, not being able to even plant anything to my knowledge hasn't occurred previously.

Necromancers in AOS are described to be in such a state not truly alive or dead hence why they can live for so long. The issue is though unlike being a vampire you are going to look like a prune as the years go by.

Just now, shinros said:

Necromancers in AOS are described to be in such a state not truly alive or dead hence why they can live for so long. The issue is though unlike being a vampire you are going to look like a prune as the years go by.

It always used to be described that they used Necromantic power to sustain them, which ultimately corrupted their mortal body (causing the prune issue - more skin care products needed).  Not sure if that's still the case or not?

7 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

It always used to be described that they used Necromantic power to sustain them, which ultimately corrupted their mortal body (causing the prune issue - more skin care products needed).  Not sure if that's still the case or not?

Grand alliance death Death Mage section

"Sometimes, the magic of death infects them completely and they cease to be truly living things, the price of immortality nothing less than the wizard's humanity."

white dwarf necromancer entry

Most are mortal, in a fashion, though old beyond reckoning, while some have passed beyond death to become something neither truly alive nor dead.

considering what the lady is doing in the story she is clearly displaying necromantic power and is using the arts of Nagash to bring "peace" to those infected by nurgle.

Do you think there will be a new warhammer quest box set in relation to Malign Portents? 

I'm thinking we might get one (or at least the premise is there for one to be created) because it appears Chaos, Destruction, and Order will have an uneasy alliance to stop Nagash and Death from accomplishing their goal, whatever that may be. To do so, they might have heard of an underworld city (Shadespire or another of its kind) that holds a secret that could reveal what he is up to. They fight thought the Legions of Nagash, maybe get trapped in a labyrinth, have to fight their way out, or lose their souls

Hey everyone,  I've made a page to  contain all the officially released information on Malign Portents (because it is not all on malignportents.com).  In it are links to all the videos, stories and a transcript of the key points of the Warhammer Live interview with Phil Kelly (useful if you don't have Twitch).  Let me know if there is anything I missed or should include. 

I'm going to keep it updated as the story arc progresses.

https://aosshorts.com/malign-portents/

52 minutes ago, shinros said:

Grand alliance death Death Mage section

"Sometimes, the magic of death infects them completely and they cease to be truly living things, the price of immortality nothing less than the wizard's humanity."

white dwarf necromancer entry

Most are mortal, in a fashion, though old beyond reckoning, while some have passed beyond death to become something neither truly alive nor dead.

considering what the lady is doing in the story she is clearly displaying necromantic power and is using the arts of Nagash to bring "peace" to those infected by nurgle.

What's interesting is that in Undying King one of the main protaganists is a necromancer, but she's still young and lithe and it would appear not to use necromancy to extend her life (and the people who came before her).  You're right though that the lady does appear to be using necromantic power to relieve those nurgle has tainted.  Looking forward to the next story now!

I really like the Grim Deliverance story because it shows and establishes a very clear contrast between the powers of Chaos and Death.

The influence of Chaos is shown as grotesque, very flashy and brutal. Meanwhile, the powers of Death are shown to be eery and so subtle, that only the most directly involved even notice them.

As well, where the Chaos Gods most commonly appeal to base emotions and personal ambitions of their converts, here the agent of Death appeals to cold logic and a (very morbid) sense of utilitarianism.

1 hour ago, Rogue Explorator said:

I really like the Grim Deliverance story because it shows and establishes a very clear contrast between the powers of Chaos and Death.

The influence of Chaos is shown as grotesque, very flashy and brutal. Meanwhile, the powers of Death are shown to be eery and so subtle, that only the most directly involved even notice them.

As well, where the Chaos Gods most commonly appeal to base emotions and personal ambitions of their converts, here the agent of Death appeals to cold logic and a (very morbid) sense of utilitarianism.

I got this utilitarian feeling too, and that there is an almost kindness, for lack of a better word, being displayed in death’s meaning to restore “balance” that has been threatened, in this case by nurgle plagues.

fantastic story going on. Im so stoked to read these. 

The Grim Deliverance story was very interesting, as I thought it nicely showed what a priest of Nagash might do.  She is bringing peace to those who are suffering and have no other hope of salvation (unless they want to be a Nurgle demon).  I tend towards believing she is a necromancer, rather than a vampire, but don't disagree there is evidence for both!  I do not think she is "turning" anyone - she is giving them peace, by killing them and allowing their cleansed/uncorrupted souls to go to Nagash, rather than Nurgle.  The story nicely sets a scene where a God of Death can be viewed as a savior and helps us understand one reason how/why Nagash might be worshiped amongst the Realms.

5 hours ago, Antipodean7 said:

Hey everyone,  I've made a page to  contain all the officially released information on Malign Portents (because it is not all on malignportents.com).  In it are links to all the videos, stories and a transcript of the key points of the Warhammer Live interview with Phil Kelly (useful if you don't have Twitch).  Let me know if there is anything I missed or should include. 

I'm going to keep it updated as the story arc progresses.

https://aosshorts.com/malign-portents/

Amazing work ! Thanks a lot. 

2 minutes ago, Durant said:

It may be a dumb question, but can you maka a Vampire out os a Stormcast?

Nope, because they have to die. If a vampire tries it all that will happen is you will end up with a crispy vampire as the stormcast shoots back to sigmar. Even a dread abyssal can't eat a stormcast soul it just shoots out of their mouth. 

15 hours ago, Charles said:

Why are we all in meetings? 

Work is always inconsiderate when I try and plan my schedule around AoS Wednesday, or PMQs

Worked here for almost 4 years and probably can count the number of proper meetings I've had on one hand, they're now getting me to have a managers 1 to 1 every 6 weeks - scheduled at 4pm on a Wednesday :(  Sadly I'm not sure I can justify saying no :D

Archived