Malign Portents

Will Myers

20 minutes ago, AthlorianStoners said:

Now I'm curious who this guy is as well haha could someone spoil

I recommend people to pick up the audio or book. But if you want to know

Tarsus when he was a king and mortal his name as a mortal is Tarsem(did I spell that right?). Both him and mannfred were like BFF's if you listen to the audio you can see it.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you take the "Portents" from an abstract point of view, I think you can actually piece together what they're indicating/hinting towards;

The Field

-Focus on a crow. The crow is an intermediary between life and death. The full moon is typically seen as a sign where magic/energy is at it's fullest. The moon flashed to show a skull. So therefore;

The hint is do with the Wind of Shyish coming into supremacy, and the links between life and death. Or in the other words, Nagash is coming back.

The Ship

- In older times, ships could end up bringing plagues to cities/towns. This portent is a hint at Nurgle's involvement.

The Icon

- A Sigmarite statue flashes to reveal a skeleton underneath. Hints at Sigmar followers sharing/switching to worshipping Nagash. 

The Falling Star

- The star represents Sigmar/Azyr. Because the star is falling, SIgmar's power is waning.

The Village

- The dead are rising.

The Asylum

- The triangles are actually shards of Shadeglass. Which means that Shadespire might be involved in the long run. Remember the hints of it being used to fix the problems with the Stormcast. The poor soul in the asylum came from Shadespire and has turned insane.

13 hours ago, Praetor of Calth said:

The Asylum

- The triangles are actually shards of Shadeglass. Which means that Shadespire might be involved in the long run. Remember the hints of it being used to fix the problems with the Stormcast. The poor soul in the asylum came from Shadespire and has turned insane.

The triangles representing Shardglass is a possibility. Since they all point at least somewhat downwards, I do not really see them being pyramids (black or not).

Either way, I think that Shadespire and Shadeglass will play a part in upcoming events is almost a given. GW has made a big deal of Shadespire, making it not only the the backdrop of Underworlds, but also for Skirmish. And Shadeglass is obviously pretty potent stuff, I would say a mythical rescource comparable in power and versatility to warpstone. Nagash seems to have the best handle of how to use it and is most likely to have good amounts available, if he wants it.

I think the use of blinded/blindfolded Skeletons points to this as well. They are used a lot in the Shadespire material, with the background explanation being that many of the inhabitants of Shadespire took out their own eyes with shards of glass, so as to no longer having to witness the horros Nagash has bestowed upon them. Even though they are all a bunch of walking bones by now, whose eyeball would be long rotten away anyway, they still bear blindfolds or material filling out their eyesockets like these:

Shadespire_Wallpaper1_1920x1080.jpg.58a15b3e9e3b1689d3b4ebcb028bc1de.jpg

I was very surprised to find these bits of lore when I found these bits of lore in the Shadespire booklet, since I never read it anywhere else and did not expect new lore in the box.

Didn't have time to read everything...but on the subject of Deathcasts, y'all remember Ionus and Boreas from the first few Realmgate Wars novels, right? I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for a Relictor to fall back into service of Nagash. So it's not out of the question, I just hope they don't do it.

The triangles could also refer to the Corpse Geometries which have been out-of-whack thanks to Sigmar and his thievery.

Assuming that the theme of this is that Nagash has figured out how Sigmar creates free-thinking undead, what is his response? I can't see him investing anyone with a portion of his power; unless we take 'Nagash is all' literally.

From the french warhammer forums(google translate)

wo excerpts are present in these pages. The first is titled "A Cruel Harvest" and features a human farmer named Pietru van Harrow, tired and weary as nine tenths of his harvest land in the hands of the lord of the corner or end up burned by cannibal horsemen (chaotic I presume) come from the plains.
In the excerpt, Pietru gets up like every morning before the rooster crows to work, but sounds noises of falling on the roof of his house and finds himself facing a supernatural purple glow from the outside and small black masses littering the garden.
The sun rises, but its brightness is dull, unhealthy and it faces a thought, that of a crowned skull which would stare at it (attention, it is not a vision, just a strange comparison which would come to him mind). He goes to the dark masses to find a dead raven crying tears of blood, realizing that many others littered the floor and roof of his cottage. He goes to a piece of wheat not yet cut to see the state and crushes to check the grains ... No bowl, they are teeth. All his culture is full of yellowed molars, he is afraid, the soil seems uneven, composed of whitish stones, but he does not worry about it for a long time and risks taking a look at the barn. His draft horses are dead "as s'

He returns frantic to wake his wife, but to no avail. Scratching noises come from outside. He goes out and realizes that the uneven ground did not come from rock. They are skulls that slowly come out of the ground. Once out, the dead ignore it and go east in single file. He turns around and faces Edra, his wife. She is pale, her eyes are sunken in her sockets and she holds a scythe in her hand. She hands it to him and Pietru accepts it. He turns to the skeletons going east with a roar of challenge, ready to engage in another harvest. 

The second excerpt is entitled "The interrupted cycle". The action seems to be in the Kingdom of Shyish and features Horticulous Slimux and his thoughts.

He is looking forward to trampling on the last survivors of Zintalis Old Town. The wind carries a smell of death but ... with something more, something referring to infertility and disturbing the demon. If the Nurgle is a god bound to death, he is also linked to rebirth and life. Nagash seems to be evoked as the "plague of undeath" and disrupts this cycle, going as far as undermining the normally limitless energy of Nurgle, which is tantamount to blasphemy for the devil.
Horticulous is puzzled by seeing his animals come back from the full, frightened and moaning, the soil is however not composed of salt (funny, salt, snail) and he throws seeds-spores waiting to see the blooming colorful mushrooms from the field from Nurgle. Nothing. A human in the distance notices that Horticulous has interrupted his hunt and laughs with insanity. Irritated, the demon sounds the charge but Mulch begins to scream. The spore-seeds are dried up and Horticulous gets angry again, releasing flies to pests. These remain around him and do not venture further. A trusted villager even risks shooting an arrow in the chest.
The demon is out of him, comes down from his mount, puts a foot on the cracked ground and grimaces with pain. The earth begins to shake and hundreds of skeletal hands gush from the ground. The closest ones try to reach the demon but are repelled by the seeds-spores. As for humans, they are shredded and dragged underground by the dead. Horticulous raises an eyebrow, showing a surprised, happy and worried face, and returns to the Garden. 

The magazine mentions that these signs are just the beginning of something bigger that will be unveiled on the Malign Portents website and in the February WD. 

14 minutes ago, Dorimant said:

The triangles could also refer to the Corpse Geometries which have been out-of-whack thanks to Sigmar and his thievery.

Assuming that the theme of this is that Nagash has figured out how Sigmar creates free-thinking undead, what is his response? I can't see him investing anyone with a portion of his power; unless we take 'Nagash is all' literally.

Nagah already does that via deathlords read undying king. Also I do agree nagash believes all the souls of the dead belong to him. Sigmar's stormcast and marked chaos followers are messing him up.

The whole life and death cycle are out of wack depriving him of power. Something he is aiming to fix in lord of ubdeath.

11 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

Looks like Nagash is going to release an undeath plague reminiscent of Warcraft III.

That crossed my mind when I saw the ship but I expected something a bit more original.

Still it seems like a Curse or something like that.  Nagash is "Salting" the earth so badly that not even Nurgle spores take root. He's killing everything including the land. Maybe he's consuming the life of the land itself to power up.

45 minutes ago, shinros said:

Nagah already does that via deathlords read undying king. Also I do agree nagash believes all the souls of the dead belong to him. Sigmar's stormcast and marked chaos followers are messing him up.

The whole life and death cycle are out of wack depriving him of power. Something he is aiming to fix in lord of ubdeath.

Part way through it now ;)

His relationship to the Deathlords was referred to in Lord of Undeath also. The thing is that which LoU his claims that the Mortarchs are mere extensions of his will is treated straight, in Nagash: Undying King, Arkhan, of all people, is much more skeptical. I think at the least it's fair to say that Nagash is not a reliable narrator. 

In Mortarch of Night he is very curious about the Stormcast, and explicitly mentions their creation as a new feat of Necromancy he has not seen before. The of LoU makes it clear that he has not forgotten this either.

1 hour ago, Dorimant said:

Part way through it now ;)

His relationship to the Deathlords was referred to in Lord of Undeath also. The thing is that which LoU his claims that the Mortarchs are mere extensions of his will is treated straight, in Nagash: Undying King, Arkhan, of all people, is much more skeptical. I think at the least it's fair to say that Nagash is not a reliable narrator. 

In Mortarch of Night he is very curious about the Stormcast, and explicitly mentions their creation as a new feat of Necromancy he has not seen before. The of LoU makes it clear that he has not forgotten this either.

Read the rest of the book and you will able to see why deathlords are extensions of his will. I don't want to spoil anything. Deathlords already fill the "stormcast" slot imo. Its why I think GW are releasing it now.

Do remember in lord of undeath he states the way the stormcast are made is similar to neceomancy but different. The short stories give me hope they are going the route that nagash wants souls to power himself up according to the end of lord of undeath.

Man typing on a phone is annoying xD

8 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

As long as Nagash doesn't die to overconfidence...again... I'll be fine. 

I'm kind of rooting for Nagash and want to see him win or at least, like you said, die. If anything set him self up in a better position as a strong power in the realms, which he doesn't seem to be so much right now.

I'm just relieved stormcast are not part of things for once. Looking forward to some fun factions having a prolonged scrap across the realms (that we will hopefully see some more of). 

I'm still not sure what these 'heralds' are for in the story though. Just some new heroes to introduce and be the focus of the fighting? They aren't named characters so presumably not part of the new novels. 

Archived