Malign Portents

Will Myers

9 hours ago, Kamose said:

But it does say they are Daemons in their keywords and Daemons in Warhammer are magical in nature not material i.e. flesh and blood.

As a counter to this, I think the concept of a Daemon could be different in the mortal realms.  Traditionally we've always had the idea that Chaos Daemons sort of de-materialised once destroyed, but we know that's no longer the case - there are lots of examples of Chaos Daemon skulls being worn as decorations now.  There are also examples of Chaos Daemons coming apart in a swelter of gore.  Maybe a Daemon is simply a creature/being that comes from somewhere aside from the 8 "liveable" mortal realms.

It's also worth considering that in this instance, Daemon is a keyword - which is a game mechanic rather than a lore/background thing.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Nullius said:

Not to mention his peerless fashion sense and love of  villainous capes. 

all said and done he's basically a withered dried out harsher version of thanos, just with an infinity book,  ,,, And a thing for villainous capes and big hats.

Like thanos' motives and ideology, I quite like the fella, but I must stand firm on the big hat.

55 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

As a counter to this, I think the concept of a Daemon could be different in the mortal realms.  Traditionally we've always had the idea that Chaos Daemons sort of de-materialised once destroyed, but we know that's no longer the case - there are lots of examples of Chaos Daemon skulls being worn as decorations now.  There are also examples of Chaos Daemons coming apart in a swelter of gore.  Maybe a Daemon is simply a creature/being that comes from somewhere aside from the 8 "liveable" mortal realms.

It's also worth considering that in this instance, Daemon is a keyword - which is a game mechanic rather than a lore/background thing.

I can get behind that.

Putting across perhaps that the being is celestial or immortal in this sense and not having a mortal lifespan as we would know it.  So although their physical bodies might be destroyed, they don't have a tangible 'soul' as such because they are essentially an essence or an idea given physical form - in the same way that a chaos daemon's essence might be bound into a weapon or physical item, or be destroyed and then take millennia to rematerialise in the chaos realm for instance.

I actually liked the remembered into existence fluff! It is quite unique and you know they could stay around for time before fading back into nothing. Or perhaps the ones summoned  in battle are the remembered ones, it makes sense to me! ?

3 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

all said and done he's basically a withered dried out harsher version of thanos, just with an infinity book,  ,,, And a thing for villainous capes and big hats.

Like thanos' motives and ideology, I quite like the fella, but I must stand firm on the big hat.

“Infinity Hat” ought to be a magic item in Nagash’s panoply.

6 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Well, that's not entirely true ;) Chaos Deamons are the same in every GW settings ; there is mentions of Daemon ichor or blood in every GW games too, even if the main body of the daemon soon dematerialize after being "killed" (it can also be banished). 

It was also said that Deamons body parts, skulls or bones can stay in the material universe if magic is strong it's the case in the Mortal Realms, or on the Grey Knights miniatures, as they are expected to be fighting on magic-gorged Daemon worlds or Warp rifts, it's also, IMO, the case with the strange Orkoïd collective psyche, keeping things together because the Orruk wills it.

@AaronWIlson well about Chaos I must disagree ; the Warp/Realm Of Chaos is still the same (so the way Daemons work), be it Blood Bowl or the Horus Heresy : it's a parallel dimension that link the multiverse together ; for example see pic related. 

Daemons Of Chaos In The Multiverse.png

20 hours ago, HorticulusTGA said:

As @Nullius said above, what I love with almost all GW setting is their cosmic scale, and the lovecaftian theme of cosmic horrors the Ruinous Powers embody so well. Reynolds is really good at transcribing that ; I literally can't wait to read the 400+ others pages of Soul Wars ! (And the Malign Sorcery and Core book fluff, obviously - instead of working my last exams :D )

I'd call Age of Sigmar Howardian rather than Lovecraftian. The Mortal Realms always had a Conan-like vibe in how it treated cosmic horrors.

On 6/13/2018 at 10:19 AM, Kaleb Daark said:

I can get behind that.

Putting across perhaps that the being is celestial or immortal in this sense and not having a mortal lifespan as we would know it.  So although their physical bodies might be destroyed, they don't have a tangible 'soul' as such because they are essentially an essence or an idea given physical form - in the same way that a chaos daemon's essence might be bound into a weapon or physical item, or be destroyed and then take millennia to rematerialise in the chaos realm for instance.

I had always seen that more in these terms:

A Daemon is an entity in the Warp. They do have souls, since souls are also entities of the Warp, only that they are the soul itself.

If they want to enter our realm (out of need, greed, hunger or boredom) they need either a bridge (like a warpstorm or some such event that links both dimensions), a host that tethers their body to their soul (may be a person, an animal, an object...) or, in some cases, a complex ritual or situation that gives birth to a body inhabitated by the daemon, or created a body of flesh for the daemon to inhabit; this way the daemon has its supposedly true form in the "materium".

Hence all the daemon skulls we see around.

18 hours ago, Cèsar de Quart said:

I had always seen that more in these terms:

A Daemon is an entity in the Warp. They do have souls, since souls are also entities of the Warp, only that they are the soul itself.

If they want to enter our realm (out of need, greed, hunger or boredom) they need either a bridge (like a warpstorm or some such event that links both dimensions), a host that tethers their body to their soul (may be a person, an animal, an object...) or, in some cases, a complex ritual or situation that gives birth to a body inhabitated by the daemon, or created a body of flesh for the daemon to inhabit; this way the daemon has its supposedly true form in the "materium".

Hence all the daemon skulls we see around.

ok  lets just shelve this one until GW give us a proper explanation, otherwise we'll be at it all day long! :)

more importantly - https://malignportents.com/story/the-forgotten-dead/

The new story is absolutely great - I wonder if this in part is linked to the nighthaunts - perhaps Nagash has a very special hatred for them and thus punishing them for their part in this greatest of sins, :)

34 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

ok  lets just shelve this one until GW give us a proper explanation, otherwise we'll be at it all day long! :)

more importantly - https://malignportents.com/story/the-forgotten-dead/

The new story is absolutely great - I wonder if this in part is linked to the nighthaunts - perhaps Nagash has a very special hatred for them and thus punishing them for their part in this greatest of sins, :)

Yeah, I was thinking this might be the origin story for the newly expanded Nighthaunt.

Great job, Sigmar.

Sends Stormcast to find Alarielle - Stormcast lead the hosts of Nurgle straight to her doorstep.

Sends Stormcast to find the last surviving Deathgod - Stormcast reveal the god to Nagash.

Apparently godforged giants in huge suits of flashy icon laden armor are not well suited to clandestine missions. Who would have thought?

Mocking Sigmar aside (he deserves it :P), another great story.

I do not think these are the background of any specific Nighthaunt, but another look at the Underworlds in general.

I liked the subtle  references, such as the storm sabre indicating that she is a Vanguard Hunter, and also the black plate, a clear sign of the Anvils of the Heldenhammer. A great story as usual!

I know that the current narrative is focused on Soul Wars and the struggle of Sigmar against Nagash, but going forward i'd like to see the other factions playing a more active role as well. Especially the Chaos gods who have a lot to lose if Nagash triumphs. 

That was a nice story, especially because of all the subtle ways reaching Realm's End in Shyish tamper with one's mind, memories and perception of the flow of time, Shyish being a place where time doesn't necessarily bring to death, and what's a life lived but a collection of memories. Nice concepts behind the narrative. This is what I want, high concept worldbuilding, and not fights and battle scenes.

So, while everybody seem occupied with pointless matters like rules ( :P ) , I noticed something : the leaked GHB points for the Stormcast mention a new Unique character (even more costly than the Celestant Prime), Aventis Firestrike, Magister of Hammerhal. He is supposed to be the guy on the new flying mount from the attached artwork. 

I can tell you we already heard about him ! Yes, in this MP short story : The Good and the Great, follow-up of Cause Célèbre. Amazing right ? :D 

Aventis Firestrike is apparently a member of Hammerhal's Grand Conclave (the Stormrift Conclave, based on Azyrheim's Lord of the Heavenhall). He seats there as the "judiciary representative of the Stormcast Eternals" : https://malignportents.com/story/the-great-and-the-good/ 

(Oh and Malendrek from this story is apparently the bad guy in the "Battle for Glymmsforge" too : https://malignportents.com/story/the-hero-of-glymmsforge/ )

pdJpT9x-kMDKpdZFZvG1e0lWRqkarJ8GqUfI9hbrNHk.jpg

On 6/16/2018 at 4:16 PM, HorticulusTGA said:

So, while everybody seem occupied with pointless matters like rules ( :P ) , I noticed something : the leaked GHB points for the Stormcast mention a new Unique character (even more costly than the Celestant Prime), Aventis Firestrike, Magister of Hammerhal. He is supposed to be the guy on the new flying mount from the attached artwork. 

I can tell you we already heard about him ! Yes, in this MP short story : The Good and the Great, follow-up of Cause Célèbre. Amazing right ? :D 

Aventis Firestrike is apparently a member of Hammerhal's Grand Conclave (the Stormrift Conclave, based on Azyrheim's Lord of the Heavenhall). He seats there as the "judiciary representative of the Stormcast Eternals" : https://malignportents.com/story/the-great-and-the-good/ 

(Oh and Malendrek from this story is apparently the bad guy in the "Battle for Glymmsforge" too : https://malignportents.com/story/the-hero-of-glymmsforge/ )

pdJpT9x-kMDKpdZFZvG1e0lWRqkarJ8GqUfI9hbrNHk.jpg

Ahh great spot about these stories. So Malendrek is the one who opened the gate right? This leads in to the battle of Glymmsforge?

2 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

We know...

https://malignportents.com/story/nagashizzar-resurgent/

Best story yet (though I am biased)

Wow best story. What I really liked it that it showed Nagash knows literally EVERYTHING about a certain vampire. Also immortality for everyone! LOL :D Chaos can't corrupt anything if everyone is undead or their souls are one with nagashizzar. Geez it's a chilling and dark thought that this is likely the sure fire way to end chaos. What I also like about this story it shows a contrast of how Nagash possibly was in the past compared to now. 

You also know what's scary as well? Nagash is so sure he is doing the right thing and maybe he is in the context of warhammer. 

‘THROUGH DEATH I WILL ACHIEVE WHAT SIGMAR THE SOUL-THIEF NEVER COULD. I WILL HAVE ORDER. UNQUESTIONED. UNENDING. AND WITH THAT ORDER, I WILL PURGE CHAOS FROM THE MORTAL REALMS.’

Not yet... 

I really, really like Manfred! He is so hard to predict and this was exactly the reason i loved so much the last two realmgate novels. That relationship between him and the Stormcasts, betrayal and then, i dare say regret? He tried to help Tarsus at the end in the Hunt for Nagash if i recall correctly. 

That's why, i think he is going to help the Stormcasts defeat Nagash eventually. An eternity being a slave to the most powerful God in the Realms, doesn't quite fit this rebelious vampire. 

Archived