Malign Portents

Will Myers

24 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

Also it looks like it's everyone against Death. Those Stormcast have a perfect chance to clubber some grots, but seems focused only on the skellies.

Also grots, normal grots. Maybe Gitmob will still be a thing in the future.

igor-sid-35-undex-knight.jpg?1515066164

Also some of those Cairn Wraithesque figures have fleshy armes in the same way as Keldrek. I think we will see somekind of Cairn wraith- / ringwraithesque unit for Death.

I think we will also see new zombies.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think leveraging this to get people geared up for the campaign is a great idea. I've always found past campaigns more alienating when they try to get you excited about something that you only have a month or less to prep for. That just doesn't fit my gaming schedule at all and turns me off more than anything.

Should tie in to the end of our Firestorm campaign, really looking forward to it!

1 hour ago, Tonhel said:

I don't know if this is already posted, but posted on Dakkadakka about some artwork done by Johan Grenier for GW

johan-grenier-sketches-09.jpg?1515072360

What do you think? It seems possible to have a  new cloaked skeleton / cairn wraith unit?

Also Darkoath marauders?

Thanks Tonhel ! I really, really hope this means new Darkoath Maraudeurs and Sceneries - we know at least the Astro-tower is coming back with a new name  (and maybe Moonclan / Gitmob mix new Grots ?)

I don't know what Start collecting to paint now.... I would continue my Nurgle Daemons, but the power of Nagash, and the Undivided grace of those Darkoath (if more come) - potentially added to my small Everchosen contingent - are reaaaaally tempting me.

Guess I'll wait February ;)

17 minutes ago, ZephyrExia said:

Oh man, if they release new chaos marauders, I'll buy my first chaos army in over a decade! (If financially viable that is :P )

Me too ! I think Darkoath Mauraudeurs could be the "missing link" between traditional Marauders and Chaos Warriors, in term of stature and armor wearing (and by their look in the artwork it's kinda the case) - that's if GW don't want to squat Chaos Maurauders / Chaos Warriors after a potential new Darkoath faction comes replacing / completing the Slaves To Darkness. 

++ Mod Hat On ++

I can fully understand that some people may be a bit disappointed about the reveal for Malign Portents but I would like to point out a few things....

• This is the BEGINNING of the theme that Age of Sigmar is going for this year and going forwards
  • Of course there was going to be a campaign book for people playing in this setting (remember the three ways of playing? Not everybody does just Matched Play)
  • They've clarified some of the background (see there are farmers)

This community is for people to discuss the game and the setting for Age of Sigmar but if I'm honest, some of the comments in this thread have got me wondering what some of you actually want from the game. Below is a very nice quote about this... 

1 hour ago, Spiky Norman said:

What I would advocate for treating like a baby is this community, if you want to use those words. It should be nurtured and cared for.
From what I've gathered, TGA was created specifically as a place for people that are actively participating in and enthusiastic about the hobby of Age of Sigmar.
That does not mean that there are no place for critique, but it does mean that members should consider both content and tone of what is voiced. That members should consider how they can contribute to, and not detract from, making this an even better place for people that like AoS and hobby as a whole.
Does that mean that sometimes you should refrain from posting what you want, when and how ever many times you want? Yes, I think so.

So can you please read that quote and think about it when you are unhappy about something and feel the need to post about it. 

@Pariah-Miniatures - Take this as a warning. Please think about some of the things you want to mention when replying to posts. I'm not very happy with some of your comments in this thread, so I have issued warning points to you. Criticism is fine but not the way you have been doing it

Cheers

7 hours ago, Sleboda said:
10 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Ahh takes me right back to the 90's - when stuff was a lot more colourful lol...

A unit version of the cairn wraith would be a really cool addition. I hope they go there!

wraiths.jpg

I still use those models to this day,  plus the older Lord of The Rings wealth models that were similar (still Citadel models).

Good times. 

Yeah we have an oldhammer group and I play 4th edition Undead which is by far my favourite iteration of the list. I was kinda embarrassed to post a pic of stuff I painted when I was a kid but then I looked up the Eavy Metal pics in the army book and I actually feel ok about them now :) 

eavy metal.jpg

I found that there is much more clues on Warhammer TV facebook page in the comments, rather than on Age of Sigmar facebook page(i think they just stopped responding to all the flame there and are as always totaly enigmatic):

WhTV replies:

„Thanks for sharing this feedback with us Paul, we're taking everything on board that you guys are telling us at the moment.”

„Change is coming on a scale we’ve not seen since the dawn of the Age of Sigmar Michael, and you’ll be able to follow this unfolding narrative through a regular series of short stories – all free to read.”

„The Age of Hope is what has been Peter. Hope that Chaos could be pushed back. Hope in the form of beachheads becoming great cities. Hope that realms weren't damned after Sigmar's retreat.”

”We'll be bringing new stories twice a week on the Malign Portents website Jefferey and there's a whole lot more to come.”

”Malign Portents is a continuing narrative that’ll allow you to take part in the most radical changes to Warhammer Age of Sigmar since the Storm of Sigmar. New empires will rise, war will rage and there are some surprises to look forward to.”

I'm very excited about Malign Portents and have given myself a new, slightly spookier avatar to celebrate! :D

So, who's participating in the painting challenge? I'm painting up an Anvilgard box, which is probably double the number of miniatures of a Start Collecting box, but I'm so pumped for this that I actually think I can do it!

26167061_737630339767095_6304930443953751943_n.jpg

Am I the only one who's a little concerned about Nagash being the big bad and it seems like they're setting him up to get the c rap kicked out of him again? Poor Nagash, the guy can't catch a break. Hopefully I'm wrong, and Nagash wins, or at least doesn't die this phase of the story.

For those people saying this is a reboot of the setting, have you read City of Secrets?  Just to make clear that is a genuine question, because that novel has such a good description of normal life in the Realms and doesn't seem overly hopeful.  If you have read it, why do you think the hints we have so far speak of a setting change?

If you haven't read it, then read it! It is so good haha.

I would like another novel by Chris Wraight like Gates of Azyr for this new phase.  Loved that one.

18 minutes ago, Caladancid said:

For those people saying this is a reboot of the setting, have you read City of Secrets?  Just to make clear that is a genuine question, because that novel has such a good description of normal life in the Realms and doesn't seem overly hopeful.  If you have read it, why do you think the hints we have so far speak of a setting change?

I would like another novel by Chris Wraight like Gates of Azyr for this new phase.  Loved that one.

By reboot people means (IMO) that we'll get some kind of "AOS - second edition" this summer, with or after the global campaign. So more a reboot of the game than of the story (who is now more flesh ed out and coherent than ever).

Which would means : new starter set ( :P ) and a new AOS main book, with more background / world building, and the presence of the three ways to play directly in it. The GHB (also coming around the summer) would then resemble more Chapter approved for 40k, i.e. regular points adjustments, new "mini" expansions and battle plans, etc. (also remember, the WarCom article about the "new system" for the FAQ also mentioned AOS soon getting something similar). Note that the Malign portents campaign books may do just that, at least fluff wise.

EDIT : 

Perhaps @JReynolds (does not) want to answer this, but as I said elsewhere, I think we waited 2.5 years to know more about the Mortal Realms, because it really took GW years to figure it out themselves ! Indeed, at AOS launch there was IMO different opinions on the nature of the Eight Realms (and on AOS itself...) between the designers, and the original point of the new setting was to have 1. a new, 2. high fantasy, 3. giant setting for their new game, so IMO they just didn't settle the debate at that time. It was only last year, with All-gate and Season Of War, that they really completed the concept we have now. (And we saw a first draft of this proper cosmology in the fluff introduction of the Skirmish book, hints in Shadepspire, etc.). 

12 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

Am I the only one who's a little concerned about Nagash being the big bad and it seems like they're setting him up to get the c rap kicked out of him again? Poor Nagash, the guy can't catch a break. Hopefully I'm wrong, and Nagash wins, or at least doesn't die this phase of the story.

isnt that the same as chaos though? and well any bad guy

3 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

By reboot people means (IMO) that we'll get some kind of "AOS - second edition" this summer, with or after the global campaign.

By reboot people mean (IMO) that GW is having a fresh attempt at introducing the world, but this time with less focus on stormcast, cosmic god and mythical stuff, and more accessible ways to read about it all (i.e. not buried in stormcast novels). A welcome change of approach! 

5 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

By reboot people mean (IMO) that GW is having a fresh attempt at introducing the world, but this time with less focus on stormcast, cosmic god and mythical stuff, and more accessible ways to read about it all (i.e. not buried in stormcast novels). A welcome change of approach! 

Listen you grot ! The Skirmish book and Pantheon are not "stormcast novels" ;), the AOS main book may be, but not only, and was mainly accompanying the starer set, so had to present the stormcast and khorne first. Anyway you are right about this, it's a "let's try again to launch this game" attempt - which is really cool if it means more support for all factions (YEAH MOONCLAN TOO) - and could totally coincide with a new "edition" of AOS (game wise), i.e. could either happens with a new rulebook, or in the Malign Portents campaign book.

TLDR : Bring it on !

8 minutes ago, Caladancid said:

I think a full setting reboot would be way out of line, but a reboot of the game itself, along with a slight shift in tone is well within the realm of plausability.

The game system has has some well known oddities at its very core, like the ease of sniping heroes, the shooting rules in general and the messy keywording, that propably need to be adressed beyond the scope of the generals handbook or individual warscroll changes.

Add to that the lack of a book that could work as a proper primer for the setting, as the original book for this contains a lot of outdated and discarded info (Red Slayers, Steamhead Duradin, Bonesplittaz called Savage Orruks), and you can see that a new or updated starter set would propably be a good idea.

Whatever GW does, I hope we can keep the free digital warscrolls. Without them, I may never have gotten into this.

Well I'm psyched about Malign Portents. New story, new models, new direction.  All sounds good to me! 

And I'll just add that having trouble visualising the realms really held me back when AoS first came out, and that little descriptor they've got on the MP site is perfect. Could've done with it a bit earlier, but I ain't complaining!  

I really enjoyed the little animated video clips they did for each of the characters too. Art style and voice acting were top-notch. 

Can someone elaborate on how the Cosmos materialized and formed the landscapes of the realms? I watched the Travellers guide and cant really understand, did the realms connected with each other forming a materialized zone on top of which there are high energy points (the core of every realm). Or it is just a space zone and every realm had its own landscape?

Hoping its not a reboot or a Second Edition.     I'm fine with playing as it is (minus matched play dominating).   If all my books get invalidated for a second edition after such a short amount of time I would really think hard about continuing.  

18 minutes ago, Bloodmaster said:

The correct term might be "soft reboot". IMO it's more a reexamination and re-explanation of the background so far and from that building up a more refined version of it.

You said it better than us. I think this could be done by novels and in the Malign portents campaign book - there is no absolute need of a second edition to do that, but then the MP presentation on the website and on WarCom means huge changes to me, and the direct mention of (and links to) the Storm of Sigmar Starter set make me think we'll see a second edition rulebook (and set) with soft rebooked fluff and maybe rules (not the core rules, juste the way they work, explained like in the Getting started to AOS magazine, etc.)

Archived