Malign Portents

Will Myers

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/30/2018 at 10:23 PM, Chikout said:

I think it is highly likely that daughters of Khaine will go up for preorder on Feb 24th  or March 3rd. With all the malign portents and death next week, then both Necromunda and Shadespire on the 10th it seems clear that they have a pretty hectic schedule. The 17th preorder will probably be black library focused with the anniversary on the 24th.

Two years ago the aos open day coincided with the release of Silver tower so having another big release to show on the day makes sense. 

My personal theory is that in malign portents, Nagash is encouraging as many factions as possible to come and fight in his Realm. He will use the souls of those killed to fuel the creation of a new faction. The results of the campaign will decide how powerful and widespread this faction will be. 

With the campaign ending around the time of Adepticon, it will be the perfect time to preview the new range. 

I think you will be lucky to see them before April.

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

Is this new? I like this a lot.

Now to get on with reading the story!

I didn't enjoy this one as much as the previous ones. It feels like a bit of rehash of ideas and imagery we've already been introduced to (Lord-Ordinator, Warscryer Citadel, rows of skeletons marching off to do... something) without much plot or character stuff. There have been some real jaw dropping moments in the previous stories, like the living humans working with the undead and the one where the vampire cultist 'saves' the nurse from Nurgle. I felt that kind of big moment or surprising idea was missing here.

I've been enjoying the stories a lot and massive credit to GW for putting out such great content for free, but I'm ready for the Malign Portents book now! Enough with the teasing!

Just got the new White Dwarf and wanted to comment that it’s amazing how affordable GW are making all of the new Malign Portents stuff. 

The campaign book is only £15 compared to the previous Realm Gate Wars ones that were £45. Also the new scenery is only £65 despite being huge I would have paid a £100 for it!

15 minutes ago, Charles said:

Just got the new White Dwarf and wanted to comment that it’s amazing how affordable GW are making all of the new Malign Portents stuff. 

The campaign book is only £15 compared to the previous Realm Gate Wars ones that were £45. Also the new scenery is only £65 despite being huge I would have paid a £100 for it!

Sounds like a good price for the book. Got a price tag for the Heralds?

15 minutes ago, Charles said:

I was surprised by the cost of the book too. Must be a softback I assume?

The last time GW sold a book this cheaply it was the first Generals' Handbook, and presumably they were selling low to encourage people to take a second look at AoS - and it's widely accepted that people did take a second look and returned to the game. Malign Portents in many ways feels like a soft reboot for the setting, and an attempt to clarify and expand on a lot of things some people have been complaining about. Maybe they're trying to encourage the 'second great expansion' of the AoS player base?

2 hours ago, Jamie the Jasper said:

I was surprised by the cost of the book too. Must be a softback I assume?

The last time GW sold a book this cheaply it was the first Generals' Handbook, and presumably they were selling low to encourage people to take a second look at AoS - and it's widely accepted that people did take a second look and returned to the game. Malign Portents in many ways feels like a soft reboot for the setting, and an attempt to clarify and expand on a lot of things some people have been complaining about. Maybe they're trying to encourage the 'second great expansion' of the AoS player base?

The book is probably a lot less in terms of size, scope, story, etc.  The realmgate wars books were a great value for what you got.  

3 hours ago, bsharitt said:

They seem to have decided to make up the discount on the book by pricing the models at the upper end of small heroes.

which i don't think is gonna be the best for them tbh. outside of nighthaunt, ironweld, and 'i think they look cool' there's not a whole lot of reason to buy these.

4 hours ago, chord said:

The book is probably a lot less in terms of size, scope, story, etc.  The realmgate wars books were a great value for what you got.  

I wasn’t saying the previous books were poor value, I have purchased them all last year. I was just expecting the same or similar  price tag. 

I’m hoping it is the same size and quality though! Placing my preorder in the morning :D

50 minutes ago, BURF1 said:

which i don't think is gonna be the best for them tbh. outside of nighthaunt, ironweld, and 'i think they look cool' there's not a whole lot of reason to buy these.

No models can be justified by anything but "they look cool". It's a model hobby after all.

Yep fantastic model is still fantastic model and I love all those MP models shame I do not collect any of those armies :( 

I still don't understand why GW are getting so much complains about prices. I think their recent policy is quite nice (unlike start of AoS) they even reboxed some of the SCE units. There a lot of ways to get great value from GW - Battleforces, Start Collecting, boxes like Blood Coven, Firestorm, starting sets like Blightwar.

GW minis are really amazing(KO, new Witches, Nurgle). For me Triumvirate of Ynnead was fantastic set worth the money I've paid. Wargaming is expensive hobby but since some time GW is really doing good job. 

2 hours ago, BURF1 said:

For you, for me it's a game I have to paint the pieces for. 

Indeed. I think GW is going after different customers with different releases. The malign portents stuff seems to be deliberately aimed at narrative players. The harbingers will have unique functions in addition to their core rules when played as part of the malign portents campaign. 

I suspect that their pure power I matched play has been deliberately reduced somewhat. I wonder if they will be allowed in tournaments in the future as they are supposed to be allowed in any army of their alliance without breaking faction allegiance.

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

Indeed. I think GW is going after different customers with different releases. The malign portents stuff seems to be deliberately aimed at narrative players. The harbingers will have unique functions in addition to their core rules when played as part of the malign portents campaign. 

It certainly attracted me to finally make the push to Age of Sigmar, and I'm happy that they've done it :D

1 hour ago, Chikout said:

I suspect that their pure power I matched play has been deliberately reduced somewhat. I wonder if they will be allowed in tournaments in the future as they are supposed to be allowed in any army of their alliance without breaking faction allegiance.

There's nothing wrong with them being narrative only, necessarily. It means I'd never buy them but there are plenty of narrative players who I'm sure love them and are excited to do campaigns with them.

And to clarify, I don't care  that these aren't super uber matched play characters, it just means I, myself, am not buying them. I think the Ordinator, Queen, and Knight are cool as all get out, but not 35$ cool. Not when I don't get much out of them  on the table.

The thing that does annoy me is when people don't acknowledge that for some, the painting and assembly is a COST of the game; not a benefit.

I think this release has turned into a bit of a miss for me. I think GW got it almost right with the Nurgle release (update GUO, blightking cavalry, new book with fun rules, couldve done with plague zombies or pestigors still) but Malign Portents feels like a misfire.

For all the buildup, which has varied from a countdown that confused a lot of people, to a series of free short stories which have been generally well received, the actual releases are underwhelming. An 80 page campaign book, four random heroes, repackaged zombies and a combat gauge... meh. 

Dont get me wrong, i am impressed with the LoN battletome and i like the innovation with prince vhordrai and the bloodseeker chariot thing, but im in the hobby for the models and this is a missed opportunity to update the resin soulblight models (i am not a fan of resin) at the very least.

Hopefully ill see a few more Death armies being played, but ill bet fewer people are gonna start new armies than if GW wouldve released new models. The campaign should be interesting, particularly as its being run so early in the year. It all feels a bit overshadowed by the Daughters of Khaine reveal tho.

The rule sets of the heralds are now finally online, anyone else having a hard time fitting them into any of their armies? I think Keldrek is quite decent with his -2 rend, but I would love to have included a Ordinator in my order army, or even the chieftain for my Skaven/Chaos, what to use these for?

Archived