Malign Portents

Will Myers

16 hours ago, Praetor of Calth said:

It's a nice scenery piece, and I'm glad to see it on sale again, but it doesn't fit the AoS aesthetic at all. It should have been saved for the oft mentioned Mordheim revamp where it belongs.

Agreed.  This is supposed to be something built new?  The engineers should be fired 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No mention of tyrion or malerion? I guess they won’t be a big part of this? 

But no Morathi either, and she allready appeared in a MP short... maybe they don’t want to spoil too much about het role in all this at this moment? 

The Slaanesh part is also a little weird. He is trapped between realms? But somehow does have some influence? 

1 hour ago, elfhead said:

No mention of tyrion or malerion? I guess they won’t be a big part of this? 

But no Morathi either, and she allready appeared in a MP short... maybe they don’t want to spoil too much about het role in all this at this moment? 

The Slaanesh part is also a little weird. He is trapped between realms? But somehow does have some influence? 

I think that place between realms might be the place Tyrion and Teclis put him in. I didn't expect Tyrion and Malerion to show up as for now I guess NAgash isn't their main problem. 

As for Morathi I guess DoK BT will come out during MP so she will have her role flashed out soon. 

1 hour ago, Jamopower said:

The faction breakdown is quite interesting. That kind of split to proper battletomes wouldn't be too bad :)

did you notice how on the slaanesh entry the icon ha a face - I wonder if that's pointing to the keeper model.

I like the way the breakdowns also elegantly explain the inherent differences between the chaos gods and their perspectives.

So the way things are looking sadly, this whole campaign that’s centered completely around death is going to have a set result of Death getting its new toys. The only thing that we decide about the campaign is how we get to the end result. All fine and dandy, but that means the event compeletely about Death won’t be even get to REALLY participate in their own campaign until it’s over, which is kinda lame, but I might be wrong 

5 minutes ago, FERRUMITE said:

So the way things are looking sadly, this whole campaign that’s centered completely around death is going to have a set result of Death getting its new toys. The only thing that we decide about the campaign is how we get to the end result. All fine and dandy, but that means the event compeletely about Death won’t be even get to REALLY participate in their own campaign until it’s over, which is kinda lame, but I might be wrong 

From what has been said, we can deduce that there are actually 3 stages too the  "Malign Portents"campaign.  It could very well be that what  you describe, and I do somewhat agree with, is infact just stage 1 of the Malign Portents saga.

However, I think the overall end result will be Slaanesh being freed due to the actions of Nagash.

If GW make the result entirely player-controlled, then they run the risk of the outcome being something way out of line with what they actually want to happen, whereas if they just decide what happens, then there's no point having a campaign at all. The "choose your own adventure" style thing they've done seems to be a nice middle ground to me. At the moment, anyway.

I think they'll have the ending of MP already mapped out into one of several conclusions. They've learned their lesson from the Storm of Chaos campaign from Warhammer Fantasy. Seasons of War two years ago pretty much led to Firestorm, and I'm sure they had something else planned in case one of the other Allegiances won. I think no matter who wins, two events are likely to occur: Chaos loses control of Shyish and something will happen that results in Slaanesh escapes, ushering Teclis and Tyrion into the game to combat him/her (this is assuming the next Elf release this year is Malerion or another shadowkin elf faction)

1 hour ago, Kirjava13 said:

If GW make the result entirely player-controlled, then they run the risk of the outcome being something way out of line with what they actually want to happen, whereas if they just decide what happens, then there's no point having a campaign at all. The "choose your own adventure" style thing they've done seems to be a nice middle ground to me. At the moment, anyway.

Perhaps the greatest example of player-driven global narratives is what AEG pulled off in the initial storyline of Legend of the Five Rings. This guy goes into the details of how that all worked, but he takes a very long time doing it:

I think there are elements of what AEG accomplished with that game which would work well for AoS. Especially relevant is what they did with the Day of Thunder. They had a different story progression written up for each faction and held a story tournament during which each of those possible story progressions were burned as their faction failed to qualify for the next round. At the end, the last remaining envelope was opened and read; the ending of that story arc having been determined by the winner of the story tournament.

I don't think a tournament is the way to go with AoS because this isn't a CCG. But perhaps a series of "story events" featuring narrative campaigns with unique battleplans that are kept under wraps until the day of the event might work. This could even be a narrative event that is held in all the GW stores, so that everyone can participate.

5 hours ago, FERRUMITE said:

It happened with Konor and the Death Guard too, wherein they didn't receive their new models until about a month after.

1 hour ago, AthlorianStoners said:

I was disappointed bonesplitterz didn’t get a fluff breakdown for why they’re fighting 

They're bundled in with the rest of the green skins which are following the Fungoid Shamans.

If I were to guess, Gutbusters were put in their own section because they don't really play along with the Greenskin factions, but they're different enough from the Beastclaw now that they kinda need their own mention. Would definitely love to see a Gutbuster tome though, even if it's just bundling back in the Man-eaters and Firebellies (Although, a plastic Tyrant/Butcher kit wouldn't go amiss).

I've always been curious about the Ironweld Arsenal and the tidbits we've learned about them so far. Unsure how you would make a battletome with all siege machines, but who knows what GW has up their sleeves

In regards to The Offer, I think this is the best and the most chilling of the short stories thus far. Reading Curse of Years was hair-raising, especially leading up to the second meeting with the specter

Archived