Malign Portents

Will Myers

5 hours ago, DantePQ said:

Free People where you can choose allegiance to Chaos, Nagash, Sigmar or even go bonkers in marauding frenzy of Destruction. 

I've been thinking about this recently. Free people with the ability to 'mark' for any faction. Would be a neat idea.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly , Destruction is a little dicey but why not - somekind of barbarian try with chieftains. But that would be fanastic with allies. Just write rules for every allegiance and it's fanastic why to start and army and imagine those conversion possibilities :D 

17 minutes ago, Mandano said:

I've been thinking about this recently. Free people with the ability to 'mark' for any faction. Would be a neat idea.

I've been saying for a long time that Free People should be an interchangable army between the Grand Alliances, and should have different allies/Alligence depending on how they align. Tribal humans with Orcs, Vampire worshipping death humans, and the different Order humans with Sigmar or Allerial 

12 minutes ago, Praetor of Calth said:

It's a nice scenery piece, and I'm glad to see it on sale again, but it doesn't fit the AoS aesthetic at all. It should have been saved for the oft mentioned Mordheim revamp where it belongs.

Well, I... Disagree. The Mortal Realms are incredibly vast places, and there's 8 of them. The idea that all the realms use architecture like the buildings we see in the new boxes, which are very stormcasty to me, is not probable - I can easily imagine that lots of places has kept the old warhammer architectural aesthetic - for example cities of the dead, in Shyish. I think part of the idea of blowing up the old world, was that GW wanted more freedom regarding the setting - like in 40k, where every imaginable world/setting/architecture is possible. 

Besides, I'm really not a fan of the new buildings - I love those old pieces, and have been scavenging the used markets the last few months looking for them. To each their own. :)

The more scenery options the better. I personally like these pieces because they have the size and dimension to influence AoS.

Quite frankly I agree with @GuitaRasmus that all kinds of scenery are cool, the older ones included.

My opinion really is that there is no scenery too odd to be used in AoS. As long as it's devoid of tons of guns and wires, which match the 40K asthethic more.

Does anyone know how big the new scenery piece is? I haven't seen one in person before but the picture makes it look huge!

I personally love the aesthetic of the scenery and it ties in with the sigmarite mausoleum pieces perfectly with the dark stone walls. 

I think there's a ton of different directions GW could go as they bring us to the different realms as well. Dessert themes, volcanic theme, jungle temples, but I don't think they would fit with the current story line as well as the latest scenery pieces. 

From the Rumor Thread : 

The prices : 

From our friend @zamerion on Dakkadakka (coming from Warfo aka French forum I guess) : 

- The 4 Harbingers de 25€ (each)
- Dice et Combat Gauge "Malign Portents" (15€ and 8€) 
- Warscryer (the Manse) for 85€ 
- Malign Portents Campaign Book 20€ - so great !
- Battletome Legions of Nagash (25€)

- - -

EDIT : 

I'am SO looking forward to the new fluff now, in the MP book and in the LoN Battletome :D 

Especially about Shyish itself ! (I hope the Daughters of Khaine Battletome will have some intel on Ulgu !)

I am quite interested to see how the new heralds work with the malign portents rules. I have a feeling there are rules not shown on the leaked warscrolls especially when one sees that photo or the cards being released with the book that say prophecy points and the description saying they are a new type of hero. I think there will be a way to earn points in battle and these 4 models can convert them into blood bonuses 

1 hour ago, GuitaRasmus said:

Well, I... Disagree. The Mortal Realms are incredibly vast places, and there's 8 of them.

I'm quoting you out of context here, so apologies for that, but this is actually my exact beef. There are 8 realms of limitless possibilities, and the buildings still look Empire architecture. If want an example of AoS themed terrain done right look at the Gnarlmaw. (Ok I guess you could say that's not exactly terrain, but it can be used as such.) 

I just feel it's abit boring/lazy too transport Old world buildings into a new setting when you could have things like; "Crystaline towers of Hysh", "Flaming Gysers of Hysh", "Aelf Wanderer Treehouses", abstract statues of the various gods etc; 

AoS is at it's best when it distances itself completely from the Old World imho, or takes an old concept and completely re-imagines  iit. Just look at the Kharadron Overlords.

That's a totally valid point, and you are completely entitled to your opinion, but... I'm an old ******. I've been toying with warhammer miniatures since I was 7 years old, so that makes it... Dang. 28 years in this hobby. The imagery of that kind of architecture are, through models, drawings, artwork and stories, burnt into my brain. I love reading AoS novels, but those landscapes, buildings and terrain pieces are still what I see in my minds eye, when I picture them. I totally get what you are saying, crystal towers, treehouses, etc, but to me, the darkest of settings (which I've always been strangely attracted to) are those of a ruined city, dark, damp, dangers around every corner, shattered shingles on the roofs, and distinct gothic vibe. I would love to play on a battlefield like those you mention, but when it comes to throwing my hard earned cash down for some terrain, I'm going with a ruined gothic look any day. :)

Edit: Seriously? The bad word filter caught the english word for flatulence? :D

9 minutes ago, Praetor of Calth said:

I'm quoting you out of context here, so apologies for that, but this is actually my exact beef. There are 8 realms of limitless possibilities, and the buildings still look Empire architecture. If want an example of AoS themed terrain done right look at the Gnarlmaw. (Ok I guess you could say that's not exactly terrain, but it can be used as such.) 

I just feel it's abit boring/lazy too transport Old world buildings into a new setting when you could have things like; "Crystaline towers of Hysh", "Flaming Gysers of Hysh", "Aelf Wanderer Treehouses", abstract statues of the various gods etc; 

AoS is at it's best when it distances itself completely from the Old World imho, or takes an old concept and completely re-imagines  iit. Just look at the Kharadron Overlords.

Well, I agree about the potentially, but look at all the sceneries released for AOS so far - excellent Chaos Dreadhold, Shattered Dominion and various ruins ranges, all AOS-ified. 

(Well, the Chaos Dreadhold and the Gnarlmaw could work in WFB and 40k too). 

Having ONE new terrain - an old fan-favorite - released without aos-ification isn't a big deal  (also, it was already pretty "high fantasy" IMO, like all the sceneries that came with Storm of Magic) - also, in its new fluff, the Warscryer tower is of Azyrite construction, so vaguely Empire-remanant...

So according to the French warhammer forum we will get two new start collecting sets for pre order on 17th February for Stormcast Vanguard and Kharadron Overlords. The hint for next month is something about “Blood omens”( translated from French). I am pretty sure this means we will see the Daughters of Khaine next month, probably for release or preorder on March 3rd to coincide with the AOS open day. 

We wil also get the next two Shadespire warbands for preorder on the 10th.

This year is packed with releases. By the end of March we will have 3 battletomes, a campaign book, 2 full AOS releases, 2  Shadespire warbands, the heralds, 6 40k codexes, One Necromunda band and book, and probably a new bloodbowl team.

Even in the recent times that is the busiest three months I can remember from GW. 

Do you remember when the new release of the week was a single bloodbound hero? How times have changed. I wonder if this has anything to do  with their rumoured upgrades to production capability.

1 hour ago, GuitaRasmus said:

the darkest of settings (which I've always been strangely attracted to) are those of a ruined city, dark, damp, dangers around every corner, shattered shingles on the roofs, and distinct gothic vibe. I would love to play on a battlefield like those you mention, but when it comes to throwing my hard earned cash down for some terrain, I'm going with a ruined gothic look any day.

Well, WHFB is not dark and never was. You want a really dark and grim setting? WH40k, for one. Or Ravenloft, or Dark Sun.... or even Forgotten Realms. Pseudogothic atmosphere in WHFB was used to show and indicate that despite all the problems there is still hope. Which has been there for a long time until the world was blown up. For 30 years it's quite a good result. 

32 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

Well, WHFB is not dark and never was. You want a really dark and grim setting? WH40k, for one. Or Ravenloft, or Dark Sun.... or even Forgotten Realms. Pseudogothic atmosphere in WHFB was used to show and indicate that despite all the problems there is still hope. Which has been there for a long time until the world was blown up. For 30 years it's quite a good result. 

With all due respect - nonsense. Try flicking through the pages of 1. ed Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, or even to some degree Mordheim. That's some seriously dark stuff there. Sure there's hope - for a select few. Realm of Chaos, Skaven fluff, Fimirs - try looking up how Fimirs reproduce. Seriously, I've always loved 40k background, and I've read tons and tons of 40k novels, but there's some serious darkness to the old world as well. 

10 minutes ago, GuitaRasmus said:

With all due respect - nonsense. Try flicking through the pages of 1. ed Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, or even to some degree Mordheim. That's some seriously dark stuff there. Sure there's hope - for a select few. Realm of Chaos, Skaven fluff, Fimirs - try looking up how Fimirs reproduce. Seriously, I've always loved 40k background, and I've read tons and tons of 40k novels, but there's some serious darkness to the old world as well. 

and not forgetting tome of corruption to add to the mix.   The original Realm of chaos books both came with "suggested for mature readers" warnings on the cover.  And yes, fimir and beastmen's idea of family planning.

10 hours ago, GuitaRasmus said:

That's a totally valid point, and you are completely entitled to your opinion, but... I'm an old ******. I've been toying with warhammer miniatures since I was 7 years old, so that makes it... Dang. 28 years in this hobby.

You've still a few years to catch up ;)

10 hours ago, Chikout said:

Do you remember when the new release of the week was a single bloodbound hero? How times have changed. I wonder if this has anything to do  with their rumoured upgrades to production capability.

Just want to say this is beyond a rumour and I can confirm that their upgrades to production facilities was due to start at the end of 2017. The funny thing is I think this was part of a gradual start and we're seeing pretty exciting results already!

... And back to Malign Portents.

Archived