Malign Portents

Will Myers

4 minutes ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

...So? Your comment makes no sense in the context we are talking about. We are talking about the SQUATTING of slaanesh, of its removal.

No you weren't. The person you quoted was talking about their belief that the Aelves could have been the mortal followers of Slaanesh and that looked less likely given that Khaine seems to be the main focus in the video. This is nothing to do with the (continual ridiculous rumour) of the removal of Slaanesh as a whole, just these particular Aelves alignment.

You seemed disparaging of this being a possibility (judging by your sigh) and this video is total proof they have nothing to do with Slaanesh. I was merely saying that if she's changed and is a serpent (and this being in the image of Slaanesh) and her leading a faction that includes other beings with the same form this doesn't necessarily have nothing to do with Slaanesh since Fulgrim is also a serpent and GW has shown they're willing to crossover more aspects of chaos between the 2 games (Such as more of the Tzaangors appearing in the Thousand Sons codex). Skaven already have troops that cross boundaries in a way other troops don't and provide a beastman type unit that isn't just another variety of Gor. It's not totally unreasonable that there could be something similar here (or the start of something)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

Today’s story really shows the stormcast eternals to be the barbaric oppressors that they really are. As I keep saying, sigmar is a lie! ?

Morathi would fit right in... 

I think, that we see the flaws for beeing reforged many times. In the Stormcast Eternals Battletome their was a nice description called "The Price of Immortality", with some flaws shown for some of the stormhosts. What we read in that story (and perhaps in "death at the door") could be the flaw of the Knight Excelsior.

1 hour ago, EMMachine said:

I think, that we see the flaws for beeing reforged many times. In the Stormcast Eternals Battletome their was a nice description called "The Price of Immortality", with some flaws shown for some of the stormhosts. What we read in that story (and perhaps in "death at the door") could be the flaw of the Knight Excelsior.

It's 100% that. It's even mentioned in the short story : "the price of to many reforging"...

you know soeaking of the knights excelsior, i cant help but think they would be a perfect candidate for one of those 40k style Command boxes, the ones that give you a handful of the faction specific heros in one box. i cant imagine how intense an excelsior lord relictor would be compared to the rest! and after jumping into hammerhal, its clear that a Knights excelsior veritant is miles away from the Hallowed Knights veritant in attitude!

17 hours ago, xking said:

Order is not about control. It is about structure.  Order can be about freedom. 

16 hours ago, NurglesFirstChosen said:

As can chaos. Both chaos and order can be focused on control or freedom :P it depends on the individuals perspective or how/why order/chaos is initiated and upheld. 

16 hours ago, xking said:

I'm talking about order in the age of sigmar world. 

Also the only reason you can have an perspective on anything is because of order and structure in the mind, A mind in chaos is beyond insane.

2 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Sounds like heresy to me. Send for the Knights Excelsior to purge this hippy liberalism!

Order in AOS is analogous to the Imperium in 40K - it's against Chaos, against Nagash and more controlled than destruction but not totally unified or "good". All that holds them together really is their oppositions. It's a very loose alliance of differing and contradictory agendas. Malerion and Tyrion took Slaanesh down but I bet they'll be enemies (light vs shadow etc). Then you've got the very different take on dwarven life (Fyerslayers and KO) - what holds them together apart from being Duardin is they're against Chaos.

Actually, it's similar to how the Chaos alliance works. E.g, Tzeentch and Nurgle are opposed to one another but ally against the other GAs. And can you really see orks getting along with Oggurs? The GAs are very loose. And to be honest I think they all have a spectrum of good and evil (and lawful or anarchic) within them.

No - Order is not like Imperium please stop that insanity.

For example Eldar, Harlequins, Tau, Dark Eldar are nowhere near Imperium and will gladly attack Imperium if it fits their agenda but are against Chaos, Tyranids and Necrons and will ally agianst those bigger threats. 

13 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

Agreed but are the sigmarites like the imperium? Or could they easily become like the imperium? - They already have the fantasy equivalent of the Adeptus Astartes chapters at their disposal... 

My impression of the grand alliances is that they are primarily organisational game mechanics  - They don't represent actual grand political & military alliances that exist accross the Mortal Realms in the Age of Sigmar.

24 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

For example Eldar, Harlequins, Tau, Dark Eldar are nowhere near Imperium and will gladly attack Imperium if it fits their agenda but are against Chaos, Tyranids and Necrons and will ally agianst those bigger threats. 

Couldn't have put it better myself, a much more succinct, eloquent way of saying what I tried to get across in the wall of text I posted in the new aelves thread.

If an "Order" grand alliance existed in 40k it would consist of the Imperium, all three (four>) eldar factions, the Tau and their associated cantina aliens, and possibly even the Necrons (assuming Tyranids took Death's spot as the fourth theoretical GA).

The immediate equivalent of the Imperium in AoS is the Stormcast + all the Free City factions made up of old WFB models (Freeguild, Swifthawk Agents, Ironweld Arsenal, ect), a solid chunk of Order's available sum of factions, but by no means all of them.

It's so obvious it's strange somebody has not yet realized. Alliances are after their gods. Order is all who follows Sigmar or friends of him. Destruction is the fold of Gorkamorka. Death obeys Nagash. Chaos is all who fight for the Chaos gods. Nothing less, nothing more. 

10 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

It's so obvious it's strange somebody has not yet realized. Alliances are after their gods. Order is all who follows Sigmar or friends of him. Destruction is the fold of Gorkamorka. Death obeys Nagash. Chaos is all who fight for the Chaos gods. Nothing less, nothing more. 

I'm sure the friends with Sigmar theory will be put to the test when Morathi's on the scene. Drycha's got the Order keyword and I wouldn't say she was very good friends with anyone. ;) 

And? This changes nothing, because if you would have read more carefully you could have spotted "or friends of him". Drycha obeys Alarielle, and Alariell is an ally of Sigmar, likewise a former friend of him. And anyway, Order is the fold of Sigmar's pantheon, and ever was.

My understanding of each GA is based off their objective:

Chaos wants to absorb the Mortal Realms into itself, or destroy it. You know, typical Chaos objectives. Each god is also competing with each other despite having the same goals.

Death wants everything dead, some follow Nagash more than others but at the end of the day, everything has to either die or serve death.

Destruction just wants to smash stuff. Sometimes that means smashing each other.

Order wants to defeat Chaos and rebuild the Mortal Realms. Each faction probably has a different idea of what that means.

16 minutes ago, Menkeroth said:

And? This changes nothing, because if you would have read more carefully you could have spotted "or friends of him". Drycha obeys Alarielle, and Alariell is an ally of Sigmar, likewise a former friend of him. And anyway, Order is the fold of Sigmar's pantheon, and ever was.

Oh I'm nitpicking because seem to be trying to conform everything into a box when there's absolutely no need to. Go with the flow and enjoy the diversity of the different factions without trying enforce hard and fast notions of who they should adhere to. All a grand alliance really entitles you to is a very comprehensive allies list. :P 

A quick skim of Drycha's entry in the Sylvaneth book sees Allarielle described as "unable to command her wayward daughter", and Drycha as "having genocical aims" , "seeking only the total dominion of the Sylvaneth over the Mortal Realms" and "seeing no distinction between orruk and Stormcast, gor-kin and duardin", so it doesn't sound like she's very good at serving Allarielle or gelling with Sigmar.

Also going back to your previous post I haven't seen anything in the background to date about Aleguzzler Gargants having any relationship with, or even caring that much about Gorkamorka, and I think you could probably put forward the argument that most skaven fight for themselves first and if it suits the Horned Rat's purposes it's just a happy bonus. ;) 

29 minutes ago, BlooDeck said:

Order wants to defeat Chaos and rebuild the Mortal Realms. Each faction probably has a different idea of what that means.

Well, most order forces probably just want to be left to their own devices, and Sigmar wants to rule the world, for his megalomania knows no bounds and is second to none.

29 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Oh I'm nitpicking because seem to be trying to conform everything into a box when there's absolutely no need to. Go with the flow and enjoy the diversity of the different factions without trying enforce hard and fast notions of who they should adhere to. All a grand alliance really entitles you to is a very comprehensive allies list. :P 

I agree. But it's a convenient concept of dividing forces bot fluff and game wise and as such is not that bad. 

29 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

A quick skim of Drycha's entry in the Sylvaneth book sees Allarielle described as "unable to command her wayward daughter", and Drycha as "having genocical aims" , "seeking only the total dominion of the Sylvaneth over the Mortal Realms" and "seeing no distinction between orruk and Stormcast, gor-kin and duardin", so it doesn't sound like she's very good at serving Allarielle or gelling with Sigmar.

She is just one character after all, and does not influence Alarielle or the whole Sylvaneth faction. And sometimes she is negotiable or answering to her goddess.

31 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Also going back to your previous post I haven't seen anything in the background to date about Aleguzzler Gargants having any relationship with, or even caring that much about Gorkamorka, and I think you could probably put forward the argument that most skaven fight for themselves first and if it suits the Horned Rat's purposes it's just a happy bonus. ;) 

Gargants are too drunk to be thinking of it, but all wild forces that don't follow Chaos are the fold of Gorkamorka, including aleguzzlers. After all, he does not need others to build him temples, for instance, or give praises - he is happy just when his followers fight.

As for the skaven, they obey their god, and Masterclan assures they do, along with the Verminlords, living avatars of the god, so it does not matter really.

I just think some real life relativists are bringing it too the game. I do think chaos worshipers are also relativists.

Order is strictly better at building society and prosperity for races in the setting (and in our world.) That does not mean every iteration is friendly, sunshine and rainbows.  It is in contrast with what they are fighting. Trying to morally equate an eternal rape-orgy-murderfest-illness with well ordered, safe, if sheer cities is a false equivalence. 

Just because Order is not an absolute paragon of 21st century "good" does not automatically make them basically chaos.

Archived