Malign Portents

Will Myers

16 hours ago, BURF1 said:

The thing about this is, for Nagash the difference between someone being alive and worshipping him and dead and worshipping him is largely negligeable, though I'd assume he'd want people in more important positions dead so he had more control he could exercise. Killing Gozma and then immediately raising her, or performing some other necromantic right such as Vampirism would give him control over her much more effectively and quickly in this situation and would prevent her from reneging on the deal. As a side note, there's no real evidence that she's influential, just competent and experienced.

As for 'be still sister' that sentence seems a lot like when you go to the dentist and he say 'now stay still and this won't hurt a bit.' She seems like she's talking about something she's immediately going to do.

Well, that depends on whether you think Nagash might be raising a mortal army or not.  He seems to be trying for the big push once again - pyramid no 2.  If he is looking to raise (no pun intended) a mortal army, then people like Gosma are ideal.  She has no influence amongst the great and the good, but she is perfectly placed to influence the common soldiery.  She appears to be the only healer to care for many sick and wounded (she didn't call for assistance but went to the call herself), but despite overwork and lack of rest, she has stuck to her task ( like Florence Nightingale ).  This can only have won her the hearts and minds of many of the wounded and sick soldiers and their comrades in the field, who "had fought so long and so bravely".  Also, if Nagash is seeking mortals to fight for him, what better than those already skilled, and veterans of a war against Nurgle to boot; his main enemy - for the moment.  She would not have the required degree of persuasion if she were a reanimated corpse.  She doesn't even have to be told to recruit, simply spreading the tale will do the trick.  Soldiers are no strangers to death, they see it every day.  They tend to try to delay it, but know that it is inevitable.  I'm sure many would follow her lead.

On a side note, I now, not only want a Death Cult army, but Gosma as a named character.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Cèsar de Quart said:

I would very much like this prospect. Imagine the conversion possiblities. 

This could also be a way to reuse Bretonnia's models (I'm guessing GW would not go through much expense to repack some of the Bretonnia line as a "Cults of Death" army, along with two or three new units and with a chance to use them along purely "dead" units.

++

About Sigmar's afterlife, I think it's not a matter of who to worship. I mean, he is basically Odin+Thor, he offers Valhalla, but already in Ragnarok. Odin, after all, was recruiting great warriors in his Valhalla to fight the enemies of the Aesir in the Final Battle. At least, that's one interpretation.

But Odin was not the master of the other world, he did not rule over the spirits of the dead, and Nagash' afterlifes seem to be generally very ancient-feeling (in the sense of the souls wander about all sad and sorrowful), and there seems to be no "good afterlife". Which is good, since it gives more reason for mortals to be attracted to Chaos (even if Chaos in the Mortal Realms is less about subverting real people and imagining "what if free thinking was actually dangerous" and more about an external deadly threat, like the Tyranids).

++

By the way, what's the deal with vampires in the Mortal Realms? Are they, as it was in the first installments of WHFB, undead bodies possessed by evil spirits and kept young by the consumption of blood; are they accursed mortals who become vampires by being bitten; or are they mortals who are granted great boons of undeath but which become thralls of Nagash in the process, much like daemon princes are to Chaos Gods?

If you take the Odin metaphor, then the Stormcast are the einherjar who dwelt in Valhalla.  But Valhalla was only open to those who died bravely in battle.  As has been said, Nagash is in control over the many afterlifes in the underworld, which means he is the only one who can offer access to them to the living.  As far as I'm aware, though, Nagash only controls the various afterlifes of humans, not any of the other intelligent races - who controls them is as yet unknown.

Awesome video:) guess I can finally buy some new elves. This is just Getting better and better. 

I’m wondering why we got another story about stormcast killing humans because of Nurgle taint. Is that an important part of MP? Will that translate into models? 

33 minutes ago, elfhead said:

Awesome video:) guess I can finally buy some new elves. This is just Getting better and better. 

I’m wondering why we got another story about stormcast killing humans because of Nurgle taint. Is that an important part of MP? Will that translate into models? 

I think it is relevant to MP because it is showing us the darker side of Order and fits into the theme of AoS getting darker as lines of right/wrong are blurred within factions.  This particular story won't translate into models - it just shows us the perspective of humans who see the darker side of some Stormcast Eternal battlehosts.

i think she will 100% be order, but she will desperately seek power with sigmar , alarielle and gugni  etc, as the remaining gods. it mentions she is a demigod so i believe her lust for power is essentially so she can become a full god like her son instead of just a powerful aelf being. in this way she seeks to possibly ravage the realms of chaos, destruction and death in her quest to be in the spotlight.

32 minutes ago, hellalugosi said:

i think she will 100% be order, but she will desperately seek power with sigmar , alarielle and gugni  etc, as the remaining gods. it mentions she is a demigod so i believe her lust for power is essentially so she can become a full god like her son instead of just a powerful aelf being. in this way she seeks to possibly ravage the realms of chaos, destruction and death in her quest to be in the spotlight.

Highly doubt I would expect rather she would try to overthrow them with Malekith. 

4 hours ago, BrownDog said:

Seems that they're going for greek themed Aelfes , which works really well with the gorgon models

Also with my current conversion project so yeah go that concept!! Really hope so. Although I’m curious to see which side of the Chaos order device they are going to land. Could argue both sides based on this promo. 

21 minutes ago, Envyus said:

Highly doubt I would expect rather she would try to overthrow them with Malekith. 

there is no indication that malerion is opposed to the order pantheon right now. he he has just parted ways and dissappeared like alarielle and gugni before him. For all intents and purposes he is still a potential ally of sigmar's, and due to his alliance with morathi when they found each other in the mortal realms, i assume she will follow that line of action.

i mean, sigmar's great colloseum for his stormcast training grounds is literally a gift from malerion.

10 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

"Welcome Lord Vader, we've been expecting you."

"Bar the gates."

:D

I just want to repaint my Stormcast white right now 

Although I haven't put any fluff down on paper for my silver armored stormhost, I've always seen them as more Star Wars Empire influenced in that it's about Order and not Good. I don't see them as the good guys.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoy this new perspective on the Stormcasts that we are being shown through the MP short stories.

2 minutes ago, Memnoch said:

Although I haven't put any fluff down on paper for my silver armored stormhost, I've always seen them as more Star Wars Empire influenced in that it's about Order and not Good. I don't see them as the good guys.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoy this new perspective on the Stormcasts that we are being shown through the MP short stories.

This.

order is about control, it doesnt mean  being a good guy.

Wow, I never thought I'd like the thought of Stormcast butting heads, but I actually am starting to be interested.  I know my warband would definitely stand against the slaughter of the innocent 'for their own good', because their Chamber is very much 'of the people, for the people' in their mindset, but that means little with nothing to be measured against.

Now, an outright Horus Heresy-style clash, absolutely hell no.  But some seriously approached friction makes for some very good personalization to what are (mostly) otherwise faceless hordes.

7 minutes ago, Aegisgrimm said:

Wow, I never thought I'd like the thought of Stormcast butting heads, but I actually am starting to be interested.  I know my warband would definitely stand against the slaughter of the innocent 'for their own good', because their Chamber is very much 'of the people, for the people' in their mindset, but that means little with nothing to be measured against.

Now, an outright Horus Heresy-style clash, absolutely hell no.  But some seriously approached friction makes for some very good personalization to what are (mostly) otherwise faceless hordes.

I agree, certain stormhosts not working together or being outright hostile towards each other but still following Sigmar in their own ways is a great development imo, adding nuance to the faction and awesome fluff potential. 

5 hours ago, Envyus said:

Doubt Morathi will be siding with Order. She is described as a foe on the video hinting at her return. 

I'd love to see the first 'mercenary' faction. Let them be either death or Order depending on what you take.

17 hours ago, KillagoreFaceslasha said:

Haha, nope. In fact I've seen two different places bring it up as THE PROOF. Sigh.

It's not that unreasonable considering the parity between AoS and 40k chaos. At some point Fulgrim is going to get a model and he's half serpent too.

Archived