Malign Portents

Will Myers

21 minutes ago, Lousy Beatnik said:

Until we see one, deathcast are as made-up as "OMG Cthulhu Aelves!' :)

This was sooo insane. Goblin sky pirates, cthulu- (a)elves. People do that overhype to themselves and then are disappointed. Deathcast eternals... omg

I just hope this omens coming with the Malign Portents will make stormies disapear(or die and become skellies), the most boring god in the pantheon hide in his corner again and cry for ages, and there will be only WAR! Destruction of everything, smashing and bashing, and Gork and Mork will lead unlimited armies of green brothers to crush all the weak alliances!  Waaaagh!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, shinros said:

I still have no idea why people want Deathcast eternals when vampires are the elite of death. They even say in the article. You’ll also find rules for the Soulblight vampires, if you’re looking to field one of Death’s most elite armies. 

Even the knight of shrouds is not a stormcast like some people thought. The lore for death is that vampires are Nagash's lieutenants the advantage is that they get to do what they want but when he calls they must answer.  Plus nagash already has deathlords which is the stormcast equivalent for death I hope GW put rules into the book to make your own generic one from one of the Death lord choices. 

Edit:To get back on topic I can't wait to read about this part of the battle tome, to sinister cities where the living and the dead dwell alongside each other. 

If GW gives me this year a versatile plastic Blood Knight kit I certainly don't need Deathcast. Just that one kit would make for me the Death release a succes.

Also it would be fantastic if Abhorash could make its entry in AoS! 

Just now, Tonhel said:

If GW gives me this year a versatile plastic Blood Knight kit I certainly don't need Deathcast. Just that one kit would make for me the Death release a succes.

Also it would be fantastic if Abhorash could make its entry in AoS! 

Dear god if GW releases plastic blood knights my wallet will cry in agony. Plus no more wonky lances!

1 hour ago, shinros said:

I still have no idea why people want Deathcast eternals when vampires are the elite of death. They even say in the article. You’ll also find rules for the Soulblight vampires, if you’re looking to field one of Death’s most elite armies. 

Even the knight of shrouds is not a stormcast like some people thought. The lore for death is that vampires are Nagash's lieutenants the advantage is that they get to do what they want but when he calls they must answer.  Plus nagash already has deathlords which is the stormcast equivalent for death I hope GW put rules into the book to make your own generic one from one of the Death lord choices. 

Edit:To get back on topic I can't wait to read about this part of the battle tome, to sinister cities where the living and the dead dwell alongside each other. 

I think in general, people want Death to have something 'Stormcast/Chaos Warrior' sized, whether that's 32mm or 40mm large infantry for lack of a better term. And given we know that Nagash aint happy with the Stormcast, it basically has led to people theorizing that Nagash will have some kinda plan in mind for his own Stormcast or warping the Stormcast to his service.

Overall, I don't really care whether it's converting Stormcast, building his own, or using the souls of long dead heroes or the like, I do think there is a gap in Death at the moment for a proper 32/40mm large infantry force.

As for Legions of Nagash. It feels super weird to me that they spent all this effort breaking stuff into thematic subfactions that could be expanded upon in a certain theme (Skeletal undead, zombie undead, spirit undead, cannibal undead, etc) and then it seems like they're kinda just going to go back on it and say "Yeah... we split things a bit too thin" but only for Death. 

Dunno, I would much rather that they, hey actually release new models and expand the subfactions that actually have a clear identity. And it's based around the Mortarchs, yet two of the Mortarchs are actually Vampires... So I don't really know where they're going with this.

It's also super weird that they're letting us know about Legions of Nagash 1 day after Malign Portents dropped. Would've made super sense to let us know about it yesterday before coming under fire for not lettting us know anything about the releases upcoming in Malign Portents.

Overall... feels super strange to me what's going on with Death. Will have to wait and see what it ultimately turns out to be, but not sure I like what I'm thinking is coming.

32 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

As for Legions of Nagash. It feels super weird to me that they spent all this effort breaking stuff into thematic subfactions that could be expanded upon in a certain theme (Skeletal undead, zombie undead, spirit undead, cannibal undead, etc) and then it seems like they're kinda just going to go back on it and say "Yeah... we split things a bit too thin" but only for Death. 

Dunno, I would much rather that they, hey actually release new models and expand the subfactions that actually have a clear identity. And it's based around the Mortarchs, yet two of the Mortarchs are actually Vampires... So I don't really know where they're going with this.

I'm not so sure that it's only death where GW feels like they split a bit too much. All of the chaos books so far have joined the mortals and daemons of a God, allowing units of StD to be incorporated into the mix etc...  This death release seems to fall right in line with what they have been doing... Consolidating undead types under a certain mortarch.  On the order side of things, they only consolidated the difference SCE books though, and they remain fractured as hell. 

And this approach to have one battletome that combines different subfactions can only be applauded as far as I'm concerned.  A book for Gorkamorka for instance would be awesome!

Also, I won't be shocked (especially after the most recent rumourmill picture ) that the thinnest model range (the night subfaction), gets a few more models. So I'm kind of expecting a combination of consolidation and expansion at this point. 

PS: I've also noticed one weird thing in this picture: 
XvSLmDt.jpg

The green and purple symbols  are clearly references to the weapons of Arkhan and Neferata respectively, but the red one doesn't remind me of any of Manfred's weapons... I might be looking into it a bit too much though. 

Manfred would be an odd choice either way.

He's not really on good terms with Nagash and last time we've seen him (Mortarch of Night book thingy) he was fleeing from Stormcast and Nagash alike, into an unstable portal.

Or are there any other news about him?

Last I'm I'm going to kick this particular dead horse, but a Death Supertome is pretty much exactly what you want to release the end of a big hyped up count down. So inept marketing teams aside, it looks like Nagash has heard my prayers and we're getting the mix and match factions for death. I wonder how dumb I'm going to feel about having 2000 points of pure Nighthaunt. Looks like I'll have a reason to actually buy a wider range of GW models, which is good for them I assume. I might even buy a Nagash now, I just didn't think I'd ever be able to use him in an army I'd want to run. Of course I don't want to get too ahead of myself, we might still end up with skeletons, zombies and ghouls as the only battleline for these mixed forces.

I really think for the most LoN discussion belong in the rumor thread. I think it is mostly going to be a rules update to make existing Death actually usable for Malign Portents and also give something to all Death players, as any new release may likely be to specific to please all current Death players and collectors.

However, I think it might be a great sources of lore with this and some further pointers where Malign Portents is headed. Count me in among thos who want to know more about cities shared by the living and the death.

3 hours ago, Lousy Beatnik said:

Until we see one, deathcast are as made-up as "OMG Cthulhu Aelves!' :)

To be fair, "Cthulu Aelves" comes from a trustworthy source: hastings, one of the most long standing and dependable sources, has posted it concerning the look of aelves he has seen. However, while he has never made outright false claims, he never knows the background of the minies he sees and sees them very early, so some of his infos concern scrapped projects or comes years before a potential release. So all we really know is that something that can be superficially described as "Cthulu Aelves" has been designed. We knew about "Steampunk Dwarves" long before Kharadon Overlords came as well and they had a similar reputation, but in the end they did arrive, but where also very different from the expectations most had from the rumors.

I think "Cthulu Aelves" will be similar and who knows, maybe Deathcast are just as real, but too turn out completely different from most associations people get from the name (and I would be thankful if that is the case.

3 hours ago, Xasz said:

Manfred would be an odd choice either way.

He's not really on good terms with Nagash and last time we've seen him (Mortarch of Night book thingy) he was fleeing from Stormcast and Nagash alike, into an unstable portal.

Or are there any other news about him?

You should read lord of undeath. The legion of night is mannfred. Mannfred and Arkhan are nagashs go to people if he wants something done. Also mannfred's existance helps spur Arkhan into action since they are kinda rivals.

I will say again read lord of undeath it takes place after the audio drama.

The new Battletome is the best news I could get for my upcoming Death army. I always thought they needed updated rules and warscrolls more than they neeeded updated models - except zombies!

I can't wait to get this and see what different builds I can come up with.

I can see that people who have been collecting for a while will be dissapointed at the lack of new models at this stage but hopefully if the existing ones work a bit better it will head off most of the negativity.

The only downside for me is that I now have to find money for 2 Battletomes and a Codex in the next few weeks - thankfully i'm not that interested in the Thousand sons or Custodes.

Random thought - why do lots of people say "cust-odes" instead of "cust-o-des" but nobody says "ast-artes" instead of "ast-ar-tes" ? 

sorry, i said it would be random... :)

7 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

To be fair, "Cthulu Aelves" comes from a trustworthy source: hastings, one of the most long standing and dependable sources, has posted it concerning the look of aelves he has seen. However, while he has never made outright false claims, he never knows the background of the minies he sees and sees them very early, so some of his infos concern scrapped projects or comes years before a potential release. So all we really know is that something that can be superficially described as "Cthulu Aelves" has been designed.

Yep, I know who Hastings is (man, Warseer used to be good :( ).

What I laugh at is as you say, Aelves superficially mentioned as Cthulhu, and suddenly everyone thinks that GW will wholeheartedly use Lovecraft's ideas and names. "Yay, my Reaper Bones Cthulhu can be used!" To the point where people saw the combined Stormcast/Dark elf box using the kraken/squid symbol that corsairs have used since 7th and freaked out over the "confirmation" :)

15 hours ago, Lousy Beatnik said:

Yep, I know who Hastings is (man, Warseer used to be good :( ).

What I laugh at is as you say, Aelves superficially mentioned as Cthulhu, and suddenly everyone thinks that GW will wholeheartedly use Lovecraft's ideas and names. "Yay, my Reaper Bones Cthulhu can be used!" To the point where people saw the combined Stormcast/Dark elf box using the kraken/squid symbol that corsairs have used since 7th and freaked out over the "confirmation" :)

Harry and Hastings times... Good old rumor thread ;)

I am also laughing at that because the community seems to exaggerate everything they get. The same reason why I was laughing at Chtulu. And we got what? An awesome mini for Necromunda ;) "Steamhead duardin". What was the previous one - "Nigmos" ? ******-orcs or someting? ***

Chill and stop the overhype. No more Eternals! Let the Moonclan shine proppa!

*** to the mods - is the word starting with "g" and meaning homosexual offensive in english?

6 hours ago, meet.the.doctor said:

And we got what? An awesome mini for Necromunda ;) "Steamhead duardin". What was the previous one - "Nigmos" ? ******-orcs or someting? **

Steamhead duradin wasn't the community's fault, that's the name used in the first AoS books, like the red slayers who became fyre slayers.

Nigmos, from the land of Regalia, was one of the more musing examples of someone trolling people and people actually falling for it, and writing rants about how rubbish GW are and their "new setting".

On 06/01/2018 at 12:19 PM, HorticulusTGA said:

Very nice box design... (from "Garro" on FB)

26169098_10154925738502035_6864455252967426208_n.jpg

26195793_10154925738507035_2053208543026198086_n.jpg

Awfully large box for that single death model...arent they normally stuffed into some tiny plastic box, with a book of instructuons, not the back of the image thing. 

Bit excessive

1 hour ago, Arkiham said:

Awfully large box for that single death model...arent they normally stuffed into some tiny plastic box, with a book of instructuons, not the back of the image thing. 

Bit excessive

I think it's to fit the booklet in which contains extra information on integrating him into the Grand Alliance.  Could be wrong though and simply a lot of empty space in the box :D

2 hours ago, Arkiham said:

Bit excessive

Thats how GW seem to be doing special characters now, blister on a hanger seems reserved for generic characters.

Archived