Malign Portents

Will Myers

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rampant speculation time. Leading up to the new Nurgle releases, the Herald of Nurgle was unabled to be purchased alone through the GW website, but now he's back reboxed and with a new warscroll and name.

Right now the Cairn Wraith is listed as no longer available on the US and some other GW sides(instead of temporarily unavailable) and is completely gone as stand along on the UK and other GW sites. Like the Heard of Nurgle, he's still around in a box set and hooded skulls with scythes  have been featured MP artwork. Maybe he'll come back reboxed and a new warscroll and possibly a new name too? While he's cheap at 60 points, he's one of the more underwhelming "heroes" in the game. Now there's probably an 87.4% chance that it's just a coincidence and he's only in the Tormented Spirits box because he wasn't selling much alone anyway, but if GW is going to keep us guessing, we might as well hold up our end of the bargain and keep guessing.

Okay, so watching the insights videos for each of the new heroes, it seems pretty clear that there's new generic units there, but they're also talking about these new characters. So what are we thinking, the models will get he generic warscrolls to be used in general AoS and the characters will be separate warscrolls or the campaign only? Or maybe the campaign characters will use the generic warscrolls, but get special abilities or artifacts when you play the campaign?

17 hours ago, chord said:

I expect it to be one book.  

I sure as hell hope it's one book if they're gonna put matched play stuff in it. Like I need to spend 320$+ and carry almost a dozen books around to go to tournaments.

1 hour ago, Burf said:

I sure as hell hope it's one book if they're gonna put matched play stuff in it. Like I need to spend 320$+ and carry almost a dozen books around to go to tournaments.

But like with firestorm any matched play rules will be banned by tournament organisers. 

42 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

But like with firestorm any matched play rules will be banned by tournament organisers. 

Not so sure : "There will be big things coming both for the narrative of the setting and for matched play gamers". 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/31/breaking-news-studio-preview-from-the-nova-open/

GW teased many times the Matched Play part of Malign Portents, I guess it will be meaningful for the game and here to stay (when it's here, that is --)

Bit of speculation on my part but I really do think people are correct about an upcoming slaves to darkness rework.DS2NRtXWsAAUnTr.jpg:large

It's the 30th anniversary to the Realm of Chaos: Slaves to chaos book and in one of the banner pictures depicting the 4 heralds with their forces you can see some choas marauders with the warqeen which fit her atheistic. could be wishful thinking though.

1 minute ago, BrownDog said:

They make a note on the battletome being with models released 'so far' it might indicate a future release?

*drops on his knees and begins praying for new zombies*

Also zombies are not in the image and haven't been seen in the white dwarf. 

51 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Not so sure : "There will be big things coming both for the narrative of the setting and for matched play gamers". 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/31/breaking-news-studio-preview-from-the-nova-open/

GW teased many times the Matched Play part of Malign Portents, I guess it will be meaningful for the game and here to stay (when it's here, that is --)

Unless it's terrible broken nonsense like the last 20ish times they tried to add rules into a campaign book. Smart money is that it's bad and gets banned but if it doesn't I'm still not buying 8 books.

New tome sounds really cool. A lot of complaints from Death players is how fractured the alliance is and how each chunk is a struggle to make an army with sounds like this book will address that.

also if they're encompassing every Death model (so far) in the book my guess is future death releases will be entirely new ranges. Say hello to the Deathcast Eternals! 

I still have no idea why people want Deathcast eternals when vampires are the elite of death. They even say in the article. You’ll also find rules for the Soulblight vampires, if you’re looking to field one of Death’s most elite armies. 

Even the knight of shrouds is not a stormcast like some people thought. The lore for death is that vampires are Nagash's lieutenants the advantage is that they get to do what they want but when he calls they must answer.  Plus nagash already has deathlords which is the stormcast equivalent for death I hope GW put rules into the book to make your own generic one from one of the Death lord choices. 

Edit:To get back on topic I can't wait to read about this part of the battle tome, to sinister cities where the living and the dead dwell alongside each other. 

I don't get why people want deathcasts or zombies/skellies when they can get more stuff along the lines of morghasts/terrorgheists/Mourngul or even the knight of shrouds. Crazy death constructs and amalgams of nightmares are where it's at.

30 minutes ago, Xelotath said:

New tome sounds really cool. A lot of complaints from Death players is how fractured the alliance is and how each chunk is a struggle to make an army with sounds like this book will address that.

also if they're encompassing every Death model (so far) in the book my guess is future death releases will be entirely new ranges. Say hello to the Deathcast Eternals! 

This is completely true. If you wanted to make a non-spam "interesting" force with death, you  always had to revert to GA-death. This will most likely fix that and add a few more combo's in an army while (hopefully) getting a slightly stronger army trait. 

PS: I have talked about consolidation (in chaos) vs multi small factions (order) before, but I do hope destruction gets a similar treatment. Battletome: ogors, battletome: Orks and battletome: Grots would be awesome... Or hell, one destro battletome with those three subfactions in there would be amazing. 

4 minutes ago, Elmir said:

This is completely true. If you wanted to make a non-spam "interesting" force with death, you  always had to revert to GA-death. This will most likely fix that and add a few more combo's in an army while (hopefully) getting a slightly stronger army trait. 

PS: I have talked about consolidation (in chaos) vs multi small factions (order) before, but I do hope destruction gets a similar treatment. Battletome: ogors, battletome: Orks and battletome: Grots would be awesome... Or hell, one destro battletome with those three subfactions in there would be amazing. 

See  If I had my way deadwalkers would be getting Frankenstein zombie constructs to go along with it. Along with giant black constructs filled with dead spirits but yet people want death stormcast? What? Why? The knight of shrouds is an awesome start. Plus the shadespire stuff is great watching GW doing something slightly different with skeletons. 

I don't know if you are part of the FB group for GA: Death though...

But Josh Renolds is on there and he disclosed that the new named knight of the shroud isn't Tarsus Bullheart.... But Tarsus has become (and this is a quote) a "hobby" of Nagash. So I think Nagash might be experimenting with his recently captured pet, since the stormcast eternals do view him as lost. 

7 minutes ago, Elmir said:

I don't know if you are part of the FB group for GA: Death though...

But Josh Renolds is on there and he disclosed that the new named knight of the shroud isn't Tarsus Bullheart.... But Tarsus has become (and this is a quote) a "hobby" of Nagash. So I think Nagash might be experimenting with his recently captured pet, since the stormcast eternals do view him as lost. 

A hobby XD, man nagash should just be nice remove all the sigmar and stormcast stuff make him undead and give him back to mannfred so they can be BFF's again.  

Archived