Malign Portents

Will Myers

2 minutes ago, xking said:

I always find that " Sigmar does not lower himself to the little peoples level" line to be weird. As  in the stormcast Extremis battletome stated that Sigmar would party with his worshipers all the time in the past.

That was in the past when chaos most likely has not found the mortal realms yet. Now? He has made some questionable and sometimes necessary decisions but not everyone see's it that way. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, xking said:

I know, But he said it like Sigmar was always that way.

Well honestly I can see it, Grungi also adds that sigmar largely expects people to rise to meet him. Also remember this is grungi's opinion but thinking about it? The decisions he has made when chaos reared it's head shows it. He left everyone outside of ayzr to die and suffer at the hands of chaos yes it was a grim decision but when you put your faith in a god and he just leaves and simply EXPECTS you to understand his decision. 

I mean he feels bad about it but sigmar feels they should somewhat understand now that he has come back and bringing civilisation with him. That single decision is still being felt in the present since people still talk about it. Now if you are a reclaimed? People from ayzr who treat you like trash because you were left outside? Plus you know your ancestors worshipped sigmar and you have people from ayzr telling you are most likely corrupted? Why is sigmar allowing his people to do such a thing if he truly cared for you?

They go into it in sliver tower, the barbrian character his tribe used to worship sigmar and the stormcast is getting up his grill about worshipping chaos. The stormcast asked why did he not ask sigmar for help? The barbain tells him they did and nothing happened so they had no choice to follow chaos to survive. I think sigmar does not realise there is a HUGE disconnect between the bottom rung people and his dream for the realms. 

These are the kinds of questions that go through a normal persons mind. 

When nagash got slapped by chaos he did not stop, he did not stop talking with everyone that bowed to him. Nagash does not abandoned his property either no matter what. He says it clearly in undying king as Helstone was torn apart by chaos. The city did not largely pray to him so he did not help he passed right by it. Where was sigmar? Why did he not help? Those are the kinds of things nagash hears when sigmarites die to the hands of chaos being the god of death. 

6 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

"None are safe" suggest to me that something will change with the re-forging process and Stormcast can no longer die safely.

Considering the black pyramid in lord of undeath marked chaos souls and stormcast won't be going back to their respective gods. Also I am with xking having nagash worshippers in your city and this is happening? Not good IMO. 

1 minute ago, xking said:

Did you know, That Josh Reynolds said that in his "black pyramid" novel that come out next year. That the black pyramid is going to be destroyed.

Did I say it was going to be destroyed?  Serious question, because I don't recall saying that. 

11 minutes ago, xking said:

I'm I wrong? read it somewhere.

I think what I said was that the Hallowed Knights will be going there, possibly. Which probably led to the obvious conclusion, i.e. that they'd destroy it. Which is...sort of the opposite of what happens, really.  

In truth, the second Hallowed Knights novel, like Plague Garden, happens several decades prior to the events of Malign Portents.  I'm hoping, if there's a third book, I'll catch up with the current timeline. 

16 minutes ago, shinros said:

So this is another case of someone saying something without a source? I assume this happens a lot?  To be on topic how would you interpret the icon? 

Not necessarily. They might've just misinterpreted something I said, or a joke I made. In fairness, I say a lot of stuff, only about half of which you should take seriously. 

And I'd interpret it as symbolic of death's order undermining that of Azyr. Or perhaps a sign that they are inextricably linked, in some fashion. But that's just my interpretation.

14 minutes ago, shinros said:

When nagash got slapped by chaos he did not stop, he did not stop talking with everyone that bowed to him. Nagash does not abandoned his property either no matter what. He says it clearly in undying king as Helstone was torn apart by chaos. The city did not largely pray to him so he did not help he passed right by it. Where was sigmar? Why did he not help? Those are the kinds of things nagash hears when sigmarites die to the hands of chaos being the god of death. 

I read things slightly differently.  My thought is that Nagash only communes with his people when necessary or forced to - he's a God and worked hard to become one.  Instead his Mortarch's ensure that his people maintain their worship of him and in doing so, when those people die they know Nagash has a place for them in one form or another - and they are contented with this, they've been doing it for so long that it's part of their culture.

If somebody doesn't worship Nagash then he'll happily take action (or in cases inaction) to speed up souls coming to him.  Those who do worship him will be useful during their lives and a soul at the end of it.  This is why he gets a "bit angry" when souls get diverted in someway or another - Stormcasts, Shadeglass etc :)

I have also just had an image of Nagash gorging himself on souls in a random cookie monster-esq incident O.o

8 minutes ago, JReynolds said:

I think what I said was that the Hallowed Knights will be going there, possibly. Which probably led to the obvious conclusion, i.e. that they'd destroy it. Which is...sort of the opposite of what happens, really.  

In truth, the second Hallowed Knights novel, like Plague Garden, happens several decades prior to the events of Malign Portents.  I'm hoping, if there's a third book, I'll catch up with the current timeline. 

Personally I hope that we get a 4th and 5th book as well! :D

2 hours ago, xking said:

They can't die safely already, the re-forging process is flawed.  I think "None are safe" is more about none of  sigmar's kingdoms are safe from the dead.

I think the point is that Nagash is the only claiming the souls of the stormcasts, and he has been tinkering on how they are reforged to create his own death stormcasts.

I would like to be in his place, knowing the upcoming narrative and plans, reading people trying to decipher every rumour engine and Malign portents hints or, as we say in French « draw a plan on the comet ». Expression both literally translated and quite relevant if you think about the twin tailed comet. I hope he has some fun :)

I will, I've had issues with using the blacklibrary website, and our local stores are small and don't carry them.

I'm hoping that with this event that death gets some love, and a new army. Maybe even some human priests and followers of Nagash. I really don't want to see dead stormcast supertroopers. As many have already said, that dynamic is already alive and well in 40k. But a season with the majority of releases being around death like we've seen with the Stormcast I could get behind. Some new scenery would be nice, and more lore is always welcome.

I don't know that I'm a big fan of the idea of "Death Stormcasts", but I do like the idea of Nagash some how stopping or severely limiting Simgar's ability to reforge and making the Stormcasts not so Eternal. In that case Sigmar would have to be very careful about using them as they'd be a finite resource and that'd certainly be the way to end the age if hope if people can count on the SCEs to save them when Chaos attacks. From a narrative stand point, it'd also allow the other forces of order to stand out against as the defenders of the people.

4 hours ago, JReynolds said:

Not necessarily. They might've just misinterpreted something I said, or a joke I made. In fairness, I say a lot of stuff, only about half of which you should take seriously. 

And I'd interpret it as symbolic of death's order undermining that of Azyr. Or perhaps a sign that they are inextricably linked, in some fashion. But that's just my interpretation.

I see, thank you for your insight I do appreciate that you post here. 

4 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I read things slightly differently.  My thought is that Nagash only communes with his people when necessary or forced to - he's a God and worked hard to become one.  Instead his Mortarch's ensure that his people maintain their worship of him and in doing so, when those people die they know Nagash has a place for them in one form or another - and they are contented with this, they've been doing it for so long that it's part of their culture.

If somebody doesn't worship Nagash then he'll happily take action (or in cases inaction) to speed up souls coming to him.  Those who do worship him will be useful during their lives and a soul at the end of it.  This is why he gets a "bit angry" when souls get diverted in someway or another - Stormcasts, Shadeglass etc :)

I have also just had an image of Nagash gorging himself on souls in a random cookie monster-esq incident O.o

Nope nagash does not care how he is worshipped only that he is. Nagash views people that worship him as his property when someone starts smashing up your front yard(chaos) and you are the god of the dead? Yeah he is not going to take kindly to that. Plus I imagine he keeps talking about how awesome and terrible he is helps keeps people in line. Think Gran Torino. 

Language warning!

Plus the fact he outright says he is going to slap chaos in the face over the time he was recovering vs the crickets given by sigmar. Think on the bright side RuneBrush if you die against chaos your soul is not going to get mauled by daemons when you pass on. 

22 minutes ago, Killax said:

"Nagash slapping Chaos in the face? That wobbly bone giant with a strange hat can't even defend himself from Skaven".

Signed, Chaos Gods

;)

Well... skaven break the rules! Plus his new shiny pyramid will slap chaos! They won't see it coming! 

Archived