New Warband "Inspire Event" Concepts

Praetor of Calth

So "inspired" (groan) by zabbraxas and Killax's ongoing contest; 

I decided to take a look into what I could potentially do with potential warband ideas. Due to the time of year, and the demands/commitments the real world inevitiably brings I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the time to develop a full entry, but still wanted too show my support for what I think is a really great idea.

Listed below, are a few ideas for "Inspire" triggers for new warbands, I'd love to hear the ideas/thoughts on any of these, and if there are any you do particularly like please do, by any means, pinch them for your own personal use.

Kharadron Overlords

- The fighter becomes inspired in a turn in which you either earn more glory than your opponent, or your opponent spends more glory than you.

Designer's Note: (Representing them negotiating for the best trade deals.)

Seraphon

-Your fighters become inspired when the leader of your warband suffers damage. Your leader becomes inspired when you complete 2 or more objectives from your objective card deck.

Designers Note: ( The responsibility of the Slaan is too carry out; "The Great Plan", and the Seraphon to protect them in doing that.

Tzeentch Arcanites

- You may choose one of your fighters too become inspired everytime your opponent plays a power card.

Designer's Note: (Every move/ploy you make is the one Tzeentch wants you to make.)

Beastclaw Raiders

- The fighter becomes inspired when they end an activation outside of your starting territory.

Designer's Note: (Trying to outrun the "EverWinter")

Grots

- Your fighter becomes inspired when it's attack/defense action is supported by another friendly fighter or the fighter lends to support during an attack/defense action to another friendly fighter.

Designer's Note: (Girls, sorry Grots, stick together.)

Flesh-Eater Courts

- Your fighter becomes inspired when they launch an attack action on a fighter with a remaining wounds value equal too or greater than the total remaining wounds your fighter has.

Designer's Note: (They all think they're knights undertaking great noble acts of heroism. Slaying great monsters etc;)

Bonesplittaz

- The fighter becomes inspired when they're either knocked back, or knockback an opposing fighter.

Designer Note; (Representing them working themselves up into a frenzy.)

I admit I was more or less going to do the same as you, because I am terrible at game design (I made an entry anyway, that's beside the point). That said, I love the idea of Tzeentch Arcanites  and their inspiration trigger. That would make for a really interesting warband - more of a ploy driven warband which is super fitting. Incidentally I actually personally use Kairic Acolytes as proxies for Garrek's Reavers in friendly games (and Blightkings as proxies for Stormcast).

5 hours ago, Praetor of Calth said:

Kharadron Overlords

- The fighter becomes inspired in a turn in which you either earn more glory than your opponent, or your opponent spends more glory than you.

Designer's Note: (Representing them negotiating for the best trade deals.)

Seraphon

-Your fighters become inspired when the leader of your warband suffers damage. Your leader becomes inspired when you complete 2 or more objectives from your objective card deck.

Designers Note: ( The responsibility of the Slaan is too carry out; "The Great Plan", and the Seraphon to protect them in doing that.

Tzeentch Arcanites

- You may choose one of your fighters too become inspired everytime your opponent plays a power card.

Designer's Note: (Every move/ploy you make is the one Tzeentch wants you to make.)

Beastclaw Raiders

- The fighter becomes inspired when they end an activation outside of your starting territory.

Designer's Note: (Trying to outrun the "EverWinter")

Grots

- Your fighter becomes inspired when it's attack/defense action is supported by another friendly fighter or the fighter lends to support during an attack/defense action to another friendly fighter.

Designer's Note: (Girls, sorry Grots, stick together.)

Flesh-Eater Courts

- Your fighter becomes inspired when they launch an attack action on a fighter with a remaining wounds value equal too or greater than the total remaining wounds your fighter has.

Designer's Note: (They all think they're knights undertaking great noble acts of heroism. Slaying great monsters etc;)

Bonesplittaz

- The fighter becomes inspired when they're either knocked back, or knockback an opposing fighter.

Designer Note; (Representing them working themselves up into a frenzy.)

Great to see some more brewing,

My little review on the above:
- Kharadron Overlords, I think the concept is great but the wording isn't strict enough.
I do think the intention is to have this be a trigger check for the End phase, I would then also call it as such. Though 'spending more' leads to a sub-game perhaps, I think it might be easier to simply have it say: (Inspires)  If you have more Glory as your opponent in the End phase.
Seraphon, great and simple. Easy to trigger but thats something you can keep in if the fighters don't go overboard when Inspired.
- Tzeentch, great and simple. Easy to trigger but it also can mean your opponent can try to play around it. 
- Grots, I think the concept is great but the wording is probably too much to fit into a card. 
I do think the intention is to have this be a trigger check with an Attack action (thus being Inspired after), basically stating: (Inspires) If you preform an Attack action and have an adjacent friendly model (easier to inspire but Grots probably will not be extremely powerful Inspired anyway). 
- FEC, Attack actions arn't really launched but if you want to have this be a check for Wound totals the wording needs to be stricter. As it either has to be checked before making an Attack action or after, this suggests a in-between which rules-wise isn't covered yet...
- Bonesplittaz, interesting but did you mean Drive back? Because Knockback (X) is an ability on itself not available to many Warbands.

Cheers,

12 hours ago, Jabbawocky said:

I admit I was more or less going to do the same as you, because I am terrible at game design (I made an entry anyway, that's beside the point). That said, I love the idea of Tzeentch Arcanites  and their inspiration trigger. That would make for a really interesting warband - more of a ploy driven warband which is super fitting. Incidentally I actually personally use Kairic Acolytes as proxies for Garrek's Reavers in friendly games (and Blightkings as proxies for Stormcast).

Thanks for the kind words man. Game design can be tricky... I don't know what you struggle with personally, but I always feel that subtlety is perhaps the hardest part too right. I think when we come with new rules with have this tendency to go all in, when sometime's less really is more.

8 hours ago, Killax said:

Great to see some more brewing,

My little review on the above:
- Kharadron Overlords, I think the concept is great but the wording isn't strict enough.
I do think the intention is to have this be a trigger check for the End phase, I would then also call it as such. Though 'spending more' leads to a sub-game perhaps, I think it might be easier to simply have it say: (Inspires)  If you have more Glory as your opponent in the End phase.
Seraphon, great and simple. Easy to trigger but thats something you can keep in if the fighters don't go overboard when Inspired.
- Tzeentch, great and simple. Easy to trigger but it also can mean your opponent can try to play around it. 
- Grots, I think the concept is great but the wording is probably too much to fit into a card. 
I do think the intention is to have this be a trigger check with an Attack action (thus being Inspired after), basically stating: (Inspires) If you preform an Attack action and have an adjacent friendly model (easier to inspire but Grots probably will not be extremely powerful Inspired anyway). 
- FEC, Attack actions arn't really launched but if you want to have this be a check for Wound totals the wording needs to be stricter. As it either has to be checked before making an Attack action or after, this suggests a in-between which rules-wise isn't covered yet...
- Bonesplittaz, interesting but did you mean Drive back? Because Knockback (X) is an ability on itself not available to many Warbands.

Cheers,

K.0- Coincidently my original idea was actually just Inspire in a turn you earn more glory. The reason I eschewed from that approach in favour of what I finally went with was that I felt it was actually too harsh on the K.O player. If the player is having a bad game there is no way in hell their fighters are going to inspire on those terms which is just going to make the game even more one sided. How would you feel about this as an alternative?

- "Your fighters inspire in a end phase where you have more unspent glory points than your opponent."

- I feel like that would cover the theme of them getting the best deals somewhat, and touch upon that old Dwarvish theme of hoarding gold perhaps?

Grots- You're probably right there, plus it is quite the mouthful. I think your suggestion would be a better, and frankly easier to follow, alternative.

Bonesplittaz- I did indeed mean drive back. I wanted something similar to the Ironjawz without it being identical. I thought it would represent their frenzied state, in that regardless of whether you hit them or run they just get more enraged.

Yeah I really like the one where they inspire when you have more unspent glory. It makes their End phase a bit worse and a bit more interesting at the same time. Dwarfes hording seem like well represented with this too. Only spending it if they feel it's really required :) 

For drive back you should be set, downside is that an opponent does not have to do it offcourse. What could also be interesting is to have it revolve around pushes. This way you can use your Sidestep for it too and cards like Distraction can still be used on them but also will have an additional effect. 

Keep it up, looking forward to it all!

Archived