What are your 2018 Objectives?

Marc Wilson

Following on from the 2017 thread and by popular request. What are those hobby ambitions, nay, resolutions - for 2018?

1: To paint a model to a final satisfying conclusion for the first time since 1989 (includes a 24 year hiatus). I really do not think I have painted for the sake of it since getting back into the hobby, even once. Wrong, wrong, wrong - there's always been a reason, and usually an aggressive, compromising deadline.

2:To get my mixed chaos army done, whilst fulfilling goal 1. I have played SCE pretty much the whole time in AoS and it's time to move on.

3: To help my local club Eastbourne Elemental grow it's AoS presence. My other club South London Legion needs no such help!

4: I'd like to go to a narrative event this year - the Realms events have looked so good.

5: To make my own team tournament 'Blood Tithe'  in March a success and fixture in the calendar in 2019 and beyond

That's me; what about you? 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bus is running late so had an extra ten minutes to pop down my current goals (thanks @Marc Wilson for doing this!).  I'll try and keep this AoS based this year (I'll be mixing Necromunda in ;))

1. Get up a Skirmish warband, most likely Order/Duardin based (they were great fun when I used classic models last weekend)

2. Start up #paint52 and follow it through - 52 hobby goals (weekly) and blog/post about them

3. Finish off my remaining Bloodbound.  I've got a handful of unpainted models I need to paint up

4. Make a proper start into my blue-skinned Ironjawz army

5. Sort, assemble and paint enough scenery for my 6x4 realm of battle boards

6. More games!  Both at home, the local club and events

7. Attend some painting sessions/days/weekends.  I consider myself above average as a painter, but know that there's always more to learn

Finish Pestilens army Clan Fitspit.
Finish the final 5 brutes for Ironjawz army.
Win three games at Adepticon with Skaven.
Win the Milwaukee GT hardmode trophy.
Do two competition level pieces.
Maybe speed paint another army if anything starts to be attractive.  Maybe Fyreslayers made of stone like the Earthen from Warcraft.
Continue to play at least one game a week.

My Warhammer Hobby goals for the year are as follows:

1. "Finish" my Ironjawz & Destruction army.  Paint what I have up, and add a bit more models to the mix.  I have never, in 7 years of hobbying, ever had an army that I could consider complete.  I hope to change that this year.
  2. Get my Mixed Order army collected and painted up.  I first have to come up with a color scheme, but I have a painting goal in mind over a gameplay one for a mix of Humans, Dwarves, Elves, and Stormcast.  This is lower priority for me.
  3.  Work on a Beastclaw Raiders & Gutubsters army.  I always wanted an Ogre army, and this is my chance.  It may wait until 2019 if I can't get through the other goals though.

That said, I have other non-hobby goals/resolutions for 2018, including, but not limited to:

1.  Lose at least 50 pounds, up to 80 pounds, of body weight.
  2. Help my wife lose that same amount of weight.
  3. Be victorious in the legal battle with my relatives.
  4. Find a better paying job to support my family.

1. Use NMM (I’ve dipped a toe into this).
  2. Get that elusive podium (building on 4th, 6th and 5th after losing on the top table to a second Vanguard Wing at #AngelCore).
  3. Juggle AoS, Bloodbowl, Shadespire, 40K and Necromunda.
  4. Continue to build up the South London Legion as a gaming club:

Overall hope to make some more time for the hobby in 2018. Here are my main hobby goals:

1.  Finish my converted FEC army up.  I have all the conversions done and the painting has begun but there are a lot of ghouls to get through.

2.  Figure out a creative direction for my Stormcast.  I have had a 2000 point army put together for awhile and have played some casual games.  I have enjoyed the games but I have been putting off really getting into them because I can not decide on a theme or a paint scheme I like. 

3. Get my old Skaven from Fantasy fully AOS ready.  I have them on rounds but the basing needs some finishing touches.

4.  Get rid of some of my excess stuff.  I have a couple projects that I have moved on from that I probable need to let go of (in particular a 40k army that I could just never get into), to make room for . . . . .

5. Jumping right into the deluge of Death faction love I hope is coming in 2018. 

Hold Objective 1
Hold Objective 2
Skills Unforgotten

Oh wait :D

1) Get all Shadespire models painted to my best ability

2) Finish my Stardrake to the same standard

3) Take first at a big tournament (already lined up for LVO and Adepticon!) 

4) Realize #3 is really difficult and shoot for top 10% instead

My main theme is 'Finish what I have'. 

•  Finish my Kharadron Overlords to a high tabletop standard, including over the top display board, so I don't feel bad about demolishing people with them.
  • SQUIGGLY BIZNESS - Finish my Squig Army, while finishing Ironjawz and other Destruction odds and ends
  • Bring my Orks to the next level with paint upgrades
  • Finish my Death Guard
  • Finish my Traitor Guard. This should probably be higher on my list, I invested a lot of money into this all Forge World army about 5 years ago and I haven't gotten too far.

This is a great thread and I am happy to set some objectives with you all.

1) Finish my Blades of Khorne Army to the best of my ability - Including a centre piece 

2) Buy and paint a Shattered Dominion board

3) Play my first AoS game (Hope to do this over Christmas)

4) Play all the Warhammer Quest missions (with the models I painted this year)

5) Visit Warhammer World

6) Enter & play in a tournement

7) Build & Paint Nurgle contents of Blight War (If I enjoy it complete a small Nurgle Army)

8) Have an absolute blast doing all of the above

There you have it 8 objectives. I’m sure Khorne cares lots . . . about my progress 

1. Take my painted Seraphon from ~1500 points up to about 2500 points - which will involve buying more dinosaurs!

2. Finally complete my Silver Tower painting! Just over the past week or two I've been making some progress on the heroes but I really want a completely painted game!

3. Win at least one game at my first Adepticon this spring. 

Here are mine in no particular order

• Cull excess armies : Mainly from non-Fantasy, but I have a few armies that I've got models painted for but are unlikely to play with in future. So at the moment they just take up space in cases.
  • Cull excess models : Similar to the above, but I have a lot of excess models for armies that I just never got around to assembling and painting. 
  • Finish my Free Peoples : Currently painting them up for Cancon in January. I definitely don't want to stop there, and would at least like to finish up with all the current models I've bought which would basically lead to around a 3-4k army
  • Keep up to date with my Path to Glory army: We're starting Path to Glory early next year, and I definitely want to keep on top of my painting for that one
  • Dedicated Skirmish Warband : I really want to paint a proper Skirmish warband where I put in the time and effort to ensuring they all look cool and unique and are painted well.
  • Paint new Bloodbowl Team : Usually I paint a new team each year for our local tournament run around October. This year I didn't really get around to it, but I'd really like to get back on that train next year.
  • More Hobby Updates : Take more pictures of my models and post them on the social medias, been a bit lacking with that this year.
  • Keep Track of models painted vs bought - One thing I've definitely been bad about is keeping track of how much I'm getting through vs how much I'm buying. Definitely want to monitor this in future as sometimes I buy stuff with great intentions, but it's just a project that gets left to the side while something else takes focus.

I would like to paint exactly 100 minis.

That would cover:

Orc BB team (16)

Space Hulk (32)

FEC skirmish warband (16)

a second shadespire warband - Guard  maybe? (7)

finish my silver tower (29)

= 100

All this done and my collection will be nearly completely painted. Then in 2019 I can purchase: Ironjawz, genestealer cult (for SH and Necro) and Dreadfleet...and shoot to be totally 100% painted at the end of 2019 as well.

Here are my objectives for 2018.

Continue building my Stormcast stormhost and own at least 1 of every unit type and hero by the end of the year. Currently missing 9 if I'm not mistaken.
Paint more than I buy. So far this has been not been happening at all.
Get some scenery.

Fairly basic, but should be doable.

Finish space hulk - 1 squad, librarian, Claudio and a few bases to go

Play all the space hulk missions

Build and paint gorechosen

Buy and paint silver tower

play some silver tower

Get the last unit of my mortal blood bound finished

Decide on, build and start next army - likely Daemons of khorne

Get distracted by the new shiny and ignore most of the above ?

I won't be doing numbers pledges, but finishing everything in the to-do box by summer would of course be a very big plus...

First to start off with doing some inventory work. DONE! 28-12-17 I have a lot of stuff left unpainted, that I got from friends, my brother (as he doesn't mind grey plastic on the table, 'shudders') and more that I want to paint over the year. And either give back the stuff i'm not painting or put it all into a 'long term to do box'. As a consequence, i'll only be buying something to add to that box if I finished something in it. 

secondly: I recently grabbed a small box which fits about 5/6 models. That is now my 'i'm working on this box'. I found out that working on bigger groups really hurts my motivation and this 5/6 models allows me to grab three from two factions etc. I will only be adding to this box for the 'long term to do box' if something is finished!  Also it helps me to start something new while working on the fiddly details of something new. 

Thirdly: play more games, Shadespire is looking to really help with that, but also i'll be looking towards more one of games as I tend to play in gaming weekends, but those are becoming few and far in between. 

Archived