JShin

Hi there I'm new to these forums so apologies if this has been answered previously or has been placed in the wrong area. 

I'm looking at building  a Khorne Bloodbound army list using Skullcrushers as the basis of a Brass Stampede warscroll battalion. However, I wanted to ask the best/most effective way to include another type of unit in order to bolster the Skullcrushers' weaknesses, and also to make the army a little more interesting to paint. 7 units of juggernaut cavalry might become fairly stale, I'm not sure. Any recommendations are welcome, along with  a suggestion for a good general to compliment this list. 

Thanks for your time. 

Jak. 

I started building a brass stampede list and got 6 skullcrushers done before my soul started hurting!

They are quite tricky to paint I found. 

I decided just to start with a more varied Khorne list and add skull crushers 3 at a time until I have enough to make the Stampede an option.

The general has to be a Mighty Lord of Khorne on juggernaut I think (don't have the scroll in front of me) I have a spare varanguard from using his mount for a sorceror lord so I was going to stick him on one of the juggers as the general.

My Khorne army is a bit of a side project so not much of it is painted but so far I have, The 6 crushers; 3 khorgoraths;  30 bloodletters and a Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster + bloodsecrator, slaughterpriest & Valkia the Bloody

Planning to add blood warriors; reavers; skull reapers and another priest + of course the rest of the stampede. I will probably get it all painted some time in 2019...

Thanks for the reply! 

Have you had much experience on the tabletop with Skullcrushers? I wondered what their main weakness was and then wanted to add units around to counteract this. Ive considered running a wall of flesh hounds as an initial wave, followed by Skullcrushers to deal a devastating blow. Not sure how effective this would be however. What are your thoughts? 

The flesh hounds sound good. I've used 10 man Blood reaver squads in a similar way. They protect the skullcrushers from being charged and die to get the +3 inch chare from Brass stampede. 

Depending on what types of games you play, blood warriors would be good for holding objectives and wrath mongers are amazing at dealing with large monsters and buffing troops. A Bloodstoker could be useful to get an insane charge distance would be good to wrap around units.

The main weaknesses that I have experiences with skullcrushers is their base size. I use 6 man squads since I don't have my last few painted to have 7 units of 3, and at that size it can be a challenge to pile in well. Enemies can get a lot of attacks if they can get to the long side of the skullcrushers.

3 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

The flesh hounds sound good. I've used 10 man Blood reaver squads in a similar way. They protect the skullcrushers from being charged and die to get the +3 inch chare from Brass stampede. 

Depending on what types of games you play, blood warriors would be good for holding objectives and wrath mongers are amazing at dealing with large monsters and buffing troops. A Bloodstoker could be useful to get an insane charge distance would be good to wrap around units.

The main weaknesses that I have experiences with skullcrushers is their base size. I use 6 man squads since I don't have my last few painted to have 7 units of 3, and at that size it can be a challenge to pile in well. Enemies can get a lot of attacks if they can get to the long side of the skullcrushers.

Thanks for your message. 

Perhaps a leading kamikaze line up front, followed by Skullcrushers (bloodstoked for that devastating charge range), and then maybe Wrathmongers following behind to give their attack incentive? 

Besides blood warriors, would you recommend any other units to compliment this army list design? 

Kind regards, 

Jak

A slaughterpriest would be good for buffing and potentially finishing off a unit in the hero phase so skullcrushers can charge again. I have not tried out much else, I usually try and pick units that don't need much support to do well since the brass stampede takes up so many points. Allying in a chaos sorcerer lord would probably be a good idea though I personally want no magic in my army.  

On 12/14/2017 at 10:26 AM, JShin said:

Besides blood warriors, would you recommend any other units to compliment this army list design? 

Chaos Knights and Chariots, I would check out the 'Slaves to Darkness: Harbingers of Ruin' Box. 

I also would think about Chaos Marauder Horsemen, for extra fun with cavalry 

15 hours ago, Uveron said:

Chaos Knights and Chariots, I would check out the 'Slaves to Darkness: Harbingers of Ruin' Box. 

I also would think about Chaos Marauder Horsemen, for extra fun with cavalry 

I did consider this, but was uncertain if it'd cause any synergy problems. I know they all class as mortals, but im fairly new to AOS, and other players seem to keep stressing the importance of keyword synergy. 

What general/heroes would you recommend with these cavalry style list in mind then? Also, would you recommend a block of infantry like bloodreavers or even bloodletters? Perhaps its best to just stick to a fast moving cavalry force? What are your thoughts? 

Just now, JShin said:

I did consider this, but was uncertain if it'd cause any synergy problems. I know they all class as mortals, but im fairly new to AOS, and other players seem to keep stressing the importance of keyword synergy. 

What general/heroes would you recommend with these cavalry style list in mind then? Also, would you recommend a block of infantry like bloodreavers or even bloodletters? Perhaps its best to just stick to a fast moving cavalry force? What are your thoughts? 

Keyword synergy is important, but they all can have the Khorne and Mortal Key word so most buffs will work on the whole army. 

Now for 'mounted' Heros we have 3 choices. Lord on Juggernaught, Lord on Manticore and Lord on Daemonic Mount.   For a Khornate Cav force the Lord on Juggernaught is the best, as it will make  Skullcrushers BattleLine, its command ability will also effect any Mortal Khorne Unit. 

Now all Khorne lists benefit from having a Bloodsecrator in it. So I would add that to any list, and adding a unit of Infantry to bubble wrap him could be a good plan. 

I would consider something along the lines of this list: 

Spoiler

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
- General
- Trait: Violent Urgency 
- Artefact: Talisman of Burning Blood 
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: The Brazen Rune 
Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut (140)
Chaos Lord On Daemonic Mount (140)
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne

Battleline
6 x Mighty Skullcrushers (280)
- Axes
- Khorne Bloodbound Battleline (Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut General)

3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (140)
- Axes

3 x Mighty Skullcrushers (140)
- Axes

5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (90)
- Javelin & Shield

5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (90)
- Javelin & Shield

5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives

5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives

40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes & Shields

Battalions
Brass Stampede (180)

You could change out the Marauders on foot for other units. I chose the Marauders as they are good at holding Objectives / Ground. 

The Marauder Horsemen, run forward and use the Javelins to 'snipe' heros. The Knights are built for the charge, and flank with the Skullcrushers pushing up the center of the table. 

The Bloodsecrators Buffs is one of the best in the game. (18" radius +1 Attack, immunity to battle shock), But I don't like running him alone and try and keep a bubble wrap around him which is what the Marauders in the list are for. But Chaos Warriors, could work as well. 

I like the warshirine, but its too slow for the Cav list, and the trick with this army would be the speed it can move around the table. 

3 minutes ago, JShin said:

Can I ask why you choose marauders over another infantry choice? Just curious if they offer specific advantages over another unit that I might swap them out for? 

Thanks

They are Cheep/points Efficient, 200pts for a 40 wounds with a 5+ save.   On the smaller bases they will get more attacks than a blood reaver. 

With the current missions, a unit of 20+ models is good to have as it holds objectives better. One of the many reasons I like Marauders. 

1 minute ago, JShin said:

Very useful info, thank you.

In the example army list you provided there are two lords on manticore and demonic mount respectively. Would you recommend these two over other hero choices? If so, why? 

It had a pair of Lord Of Khorne On Juggernaut. One to be the General, they have a good command ability, and the ablity to activate the second with a blood tithe point should allow 6 units to have +1 to wound. 

The Demonic Mount's comand ablity (which can also be activated via Blood Tithe) helps buff Chaos Knights. Also he can take Demonic Artifacts So mark of the Slayer can be taken to buff most of the army.  so having one of these around is a good choice.  

Archived