Thoughts on Las Vegas Open 2018 Player Pack?

svnvaldez

The last two comments are examples of the feedback that is needed. Hopefully more awareness will result from this thread. I believe @Silchas_Ruin and @Drofnum opinions to be that of all competitive players that read this rules pack.

I also believe the extra mission Dawn Attack should go in favor of Escalation which it is modeled after.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SQh-Am9Vi5aIFouXXt4FEKG5hlzSHnfGGtpo11vXTsg/edit

Some elements need to be reworked and shows a lack of understanding of the competitiveness of AOS.

Currently one of the bonus missions is: Strike first: Remove an enemy unit in the first battle round.

It's interaction with

Fog of War mechanic: In the first battle round only, The maximum range of any attacks, abilities, and spells on units is limited to 12". Units that do not start on the table may not come in during the first battle round for any reason or in any way..... 

Makes it near impossible for any player going first to score those 2 points.

The above issue appears to be fixed

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say I agree with much of the negative feedback in this thread. I attended LVO last year and it was wonderful and now I am considering asking for a refund and saving the cash after reading the player pack.

I am really not a fan of both bonus and sidemissions together, seems like it will take a lot of time in book keeping and I have found GH2 games to run longer than GH1. Also I'm not big on that extra mission dawn attack or the change to 9 inchs in scorched earth. 

Would have been nice if they kept it simple.

@Drofnum my core complaint of this pack is it is needlessly complex which will lead to confusion and misplay. My understanding of Total conquests deployment in this pack is that it is from the book.

Some where in the 5 steps is this line:

The players alternate setting up units one at a time, starting with the player that won the dice roll to determine territories. Models must be set up in their own territory, more than 9" from enemy territory.  

Thus despite the picture it is book deployment. The only changes I see to the missions are the 9 inches on scorched earth (I would like to see this back to 12) and dawn attack which is modified escalation (I would like to see straight escalation)

A lot of confusion and time could have been avoided with just saying GH2 and FAQ. Its a real shame because I'm sure your not the only one who misread something. There are so many additional rules and steps when this pack could have been much shorter and simpler.

Completely disagree on Scorched Earth. I've already expressed my dislike of the mission, and the 12" objectives made it even more unstable since many alpha strike or just plain fast armies could guarantee reach and potentially burn an objective on T1 without any sort of preventative options from the opponent.

@Drofnum my core complaint of this pack is it is needlessly complex which will lead to confusion and misplay. My understanding of Total conquests deployment in this pack is that it is from the book.

I see that now.  I didnt read all the details before just looked at the map.

I feel like just changing it to scoring only starting in the second round would resolve that pretty easily.  I'm not too fussed with the Scorched Earth changes personally.

Archived