Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
PowerCreep

(New player) Can anyone make me a fun aelf army?

Recommended Posts

Hello!

I am new to this wargaming thing, and i really like the look of the aelfs.I don't know what i  want from the hobby since i never played a game, but i thing i just want a great looking army that is not TOO hard to pain, cuz every time i watch a battle report i fall asleep.

I think aelfs are cool mostly cuz of their dragons (since a lot of miniatures are small, a big centerpiece dragon lords help a lot) and because i think i can make some fun lore from them.

So if you would like to take your time to build me an army,

These are my requirements :
1- Needs a dragon.(dread or high elf one, if you want to recommend a wood elf (wanderers?) list, that cool as well ill probs just repaint it(i think green isn't that bad)

2-Needs to stuck wiht one theme (basically one of the three factions from the WFB, all though The witchelves alliance box (the one with the cauldron) is okay in every list since i can jsut repaint the armor on them

3-Not too expansive (basically keep it beetwen 500-1000ish  points, just want a cool army wiht a centerpiece

(OPTIONAL!)4- I would like the size of the models,( head to toe), especially on the dragon dudes!

THANKS!

Edited by PowerCreep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Order draconis have a decent but limited build; eldritch council could be fun with loads of magic, dragons and solid swordmasters. Honestly though i would wait for the new aelves that are bound to come in 2018...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I just built an Aelf army myself, right before the Spire of Dawn box stopped selling. I have 2 boxes of that (I only use one warden and one archmage), 10 Dragon Blades, 1 Dragon Noble, 1 Dragon Lord, 1 Lore Master, a group of 10 Glade Guard, and some Wildwood Rangers. I really Like the playstyle too. The Loremaster is awesome for buffing the Dragon Lord and High Warden, the Archmage spell is excellent, Reavers are a fast unit that can harass pretty much anything with their special ability, Glade Guard and Spireguard are great for objective holding, and Swordmasters are fun and deadly combat units. 

My friend and I recently played a 2000 pt Darkling Covens vs my Aelfs and it was great. Executioners vs swordmasters, High Warden vs War Hydra, Reavers vs Dark Riders, Spearmen vs Sprireguard, Dragon Blades vs Bleak Swords, and of course at the end of the game we had a Dragon vs Dragon fight that was epic. The Aelfs came out on top in the fight too but we each had a blast.

Ive seen a few other Aelf armies with Phoenix Temple units and Lion Rangers do really well in a few games, and a pure Order Draconis army would be amazing if you brought some allies with magic.  Even with new Aelf models potentially on the way I dont regret my purchase because the models are cool and fun to use in games.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Somanlius said:

Well I just built an Aelf army myself, right before the Spire of Dawn box stopped selling. I have 2 boxes of that (I only use one warden and one archmage), 10 Dragon Blades, 1 Dragon Noble, 1 Dragon Lord, 1 Lore Master, a group of 10 Glade Guard, and some Wildwood Rangers. I really Like the playstyle too. The Loremaster is awesome for buffing the Dragon Lord and High Warden, the Archmage spell is excellent, Reavers are a fast unit that can harass pretty much anything with their special ability, Glade Guard and Spireguard are great for objective holding, and Swordmasters are fun and deadly combat units. 

My friend and I recently played a 2000 pt Darkling Covens vs my Aelfs and it was great. Executioners vs swordmasters, High Warden vs War Hydra, Reavers vs Dark Riders, Spearmen vs Sprireguard, Dragon Blades vs Bleak Swords, and of course at the end of the game we had a Dragon vs Dragon fight that was epic. The Aelfs came out on top in the fight too but we each had a blast.

Ive seen a few other Aelf armies with Phoenix Temple units and Lion Rangers do really well in a few games, and a pure Order Draconis army would be amazing if you brought some allies with magic.  Even with new Aelf models potentially on the way I dont regret my purchase because the models are cool and fun to use in games.

I don't thin you understood my question.

I just wanted to know wich units would look good beside a a dragon (also which dragon should i pick).

I don't care about the actual "play" i am more of a hobbyist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, PowerCreep said:

1- Needs a dragon.(dread or high elf one, if you want to recommend a wood elf (wanderers?) list, that cool as well ill probs just repaint it(i think green isn't that bad)

Well, the best dragon rider out there for now is a dreadlord on a dragon or sorceress on it. 

19 hours ago, PowerCreep said:

2-Needs to stuck wiht one theme (basically one of the three factions from the WFB, all though The witchelves alliance box (the one with the cauldron) is okay in every list since i can jsut repaint the armor on them

In this case the Darkling covens have the most variability, although it's pure infantry. But since all the DE units are from WHFB where they were a unified army they all look quite similar, so you can safely add Order Seprentis to them. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2017 at 11:33 AM, PowerCreep said:

Hello!

I am new to this wargaming thing, and i really like the look of the aelfs.I don't know what i  want from the hobby since i never played a game, but i thing i just want a great looking army that is not TOO hard to pain, cuz every time i watch a battle report i fall asleep.

I think aelfs are cool mostly cuz of their dragons (since a lot of miniatures are small, a big centerpiece dragon lords help a lot) and because i think i can make some fun lore from them.

So if you would like to take your time to build me an army,

These are my requirements :
1- Needs a dragon.(dread or high elf one, if you want to recommend a wood elf (wanderers?) list, that cool as well ill probs just repaint it(i think green isn't that bad)

2-Needs to stuck wiht one theme (basically one of the three factions from the WFB, all though The witchelves alliance box (the one with the cauldron) is okay in every list since i can jsut repaint the armor on them

3-Not too expansive (basically keep it beetwen 500-1000ish  points, just want a cool army wiht a centerpiece

(OPTIONAL!)4- I would like the size of the models,( head to toe), especially on the dragon dudes!

THANKS!

Of the three original elf factions, the former High Aelves are by far the most competitive in AOS. There are a lot of High Elf warscrolls that are relatively strong and few that are notably weak, so unless you are trying to be really competitive you can't go too terribly wrong. As far as which dragon to build, why not do both? If you buy the High Elf Dragonlord kit you can just magnetize the rider which will allow you to run it as either a Dragonlord or a Drakeseer. Some sample lists:

List 1:

Dragonlord (340)

Dragonblades (140)

Dragonblades (140)

Dragonlord Host Battalion (180)

Total: 800

This leaves you with 200 points for whatever you like. You can take a third unit of Dragonblades or perhaps an allied Loremaster plus another 100 point choice (like a Dragon Noble or Lion Chariot). This list is pretty powerful but also pretty one dimensional.  A lot of your games will end very quickly one way or another.

 

List 2:

Drakeseer (300)

Anointed of Asuryan on Frostheart Phoenix (240)

Loremaster (100)

Highborn Spearmen (80)

Reavers (160)

Highborn Repeater Bolt Thrower (120)

 

The phoenix, Drakeseer and Loremaster work well together with the other units in support. 

 

List 3:

Dragonlord (340)

Highborn Spearmen (80)

Reavers (160)

30 Phoenix Guard (420)

 

Here the infantry block is the centerpiece with the Dragonlord playing a more supporting role. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:47 PM, PowerCreep said:

I don't thin you understood my question.

I just wanted to know wich units would look good beside a a dragon (also which dragon should i pick).

I don't care about the actual "play" i am more of a hobbyist.

Then it hardly matters.. all GW armies look good next to other models in that army usually. Just pick what you like best, what is cheapest etc if gameplay doesn't matter and paint it awesome and it will look good.

I'd make my case for wood elves though: their dragon looks cool with the 2 riders and I like his position with the spiralling tail better than any other old dragon, they have new sets of cavalry (sisters of the thorn and wildriders) which look great and their infantry box is new too and the wildwood rangers also look great in their hooded capes. So for a small hobby army which will look awesome in a display I'd go for Forestdragon, 5 sisters of the thorn, 5 wildriders, 10 eternal guard and 10 wyld wood rangers. Then if you want more get some of the awesome wanderer or wood elf hero's (Nomad prince and waywatchers look awesome and are still sold.. but they hero's on stag and eagle are nice too if you can get them from somewhere).

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/12/2017 at 11:47 AM, PowerCreep said:

I just wanted to know wich units would look good beside a a dragon (also which dragon should i pick).

I don't care about the actual "play" i am more of a hobbyist.

Nobody can tell you what YOU will think looks good !!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Nobody can tell you what YOU will think looks good !!

 

well played xD
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Nobody can tell you what YOU will think looks good !!

 

I can and I did... pay attention dammit.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go all calvary. Doomfires, Dark Riders, Dragon ones. Add 2 Tenebrael Shards, lightly converted Archmage on horse for bubble spell  (same points as on foot). Would look relatively cohesive with the right paint job and would probably be fun to play. Use shards to port in a clear some chaff, backed up by calvary units to retreat behind to force target priority with your dragon. With Doomfires and Steedmage holding the back line and casting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shadow warriors, dragonblades, and pretty much any wanderer infantry unit also look really cool painted up in "dark elf" colour schemes if you go for the Black Dragon as your centrepiece. Once my Dark elf army is finished i'm really looking forward to making an Elf Soup army :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, GW encourages such interesting mixes in their GA Order Alliance book, and they have their Lances of Azyr battalion which consists of all and any cavalry units. This would do certainly well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...