Skaven, just Skaven.

pforson

Hello fellow Rats,

I've been looking at my Skaven, which I've rebased onto rounds for AoS and the new points in the General's Handbook. I can easily make a 2000 point list from an overall pool of about 3000 points worth of miniatures.

However, I find that the Skaven Warscrolls don't seem to synergize that well with each other. Do you guys play just Rats or do you also add in other Chaos miniatures in order to create combos?

Here's the 2000 point list I have so far (organized in little battlegroups who will aim to work together on the table):

1. Clan RatAttack
    1. Grey Seer
    2. Warlord
    3. 40 Clan Rats
    4. 10 Clan Rats
    5. 10 Clan Rats
    6. 20 Stormvermin
  2. Clan SmellyRat
    1. Packmaster
    2. Warlock Engineer
    3. 6 Rat Ogres
    4. Hellpit Abomination
  3. Clan RatShoot
    1. Doomwheel
    2. Warpfire Thrower
    3. Ratling Gun
    4. Poisoned Wind Mortar

The general plan is to use the Warlord as the General and use his ability to enhance either the 40 Clanrats or the Stormvermin as needed. The 10 man Clan Rat units are Core Tax. The GreySeer and Warlock Engineer can help their respective sub-teams with Mystical Shield when required or attack with their other spells. The Packmaster enhances the Rat Ogres and if they die, he can switch to the Abomination. Clan Ratshoot is a hodgepodge of random individual guys who can all run around separately doing their thing.

Ta,

Pete 

I don't have any good advice but I just like reading about Skaven and seeing your list. They're my first love. When AoS dropped I painted up 35 clanrats to add to my Khorne army but they're a bit out of place. I've got a Pestilens/Nurgle army as well and always tempted to go full Skaven one day.

Looks like a pretty standard assortment of the range. Stormfiends might be more effective than the rat ogres, but I don't know the points for either. I might say an artillery piece could be missing to cause threat from range. I'd say it looks like the army has two real combat/objective units (clan rats and storm vermin) and then a bunch of single models. I'm sure it would work out. This post of mine is not very helpful at all. Good luck with your Skaven!

I like the look of it.

I'd maybe keep the Weapon Teams with your clanrat/stormvermin units.  You can pin an enemy in place with one and then start pouring fire into them.  Keep a buffer between them to avoid getting Pile In!'d into combat.  Then you can unload with d3-d6 Mortal Wounds from the Warpfire, and the +1 to hit with the Ratling Gun.

I think if I could I'd take another Warpfire over the Poisoned Wind.  I don't remember being blown away by the PWM but automatic Mortal Wounds are always swell.

Goodluck!  I hope to get my rats out there helping my Chaos forces too.

Or backstabbing them.  Either way!

How does everyone know what units are going to be battle line ect? Is this just a guess or do we have some hard evidence now? 

About the list, It looks ok but I think personally I prefer the grey seer as a general, for the 4+ save against fleeing and since you have terrible bravery as a skaven I have found this works best for me. 

I also echo one of the above posters that stormfiends will be better than rat ogres, I have 6 in my army though if they are not battle line in a pure skaven list I'm not sure what I will do as I'm not he biggest fan of clanrats.. 

Just my thoughts. 

I'm leaning towards a Clan Pestilens / Daemons of Nurgle combo for being most effective battlefield choice. Throw in Stormfiends with Poison Wind Launchers and Poison Wind Globideer teams, add a Grey Seer to bolster your battle lines and voila, a creepy themed Skaven Chaos Army

Hello!

I'm a Skaven player too :)

Right - have you considered the Verminus Clawpack? For starters, this allows the Warlord to use Gnash-Knaw on ALL of the Clawpack even if he's not your general.  So right away you have two Command Abilities available.  Couple that with a Verminlord Warbringer as general and suddenly you're rerolling 1st to hit and wound for all units in 13".

It's tough to run with a 13" bubble sometimes, but not impossible.  The Clawpack also allows you to protect your Weapon Teams and also adds 2 to Bravery for every 10 models instead of 1.

I'm really NOT a fan of the Doomwheel in Age of Sigmar, it's way too dicey, I know the whole game is, but it's under-performed in every game for me so far.

With the General's Handbook on the imminent horizon don't forget that all the old heroes could be your General too.  Tretch Craventail in particular could be a nasty little sod!

Getting back to the Clawpack (which you are almost running anyway) your Stormvermin are suddenly making 3 attacks with rerolls to hit and wound.  Very nice...

To answer your original query, pure Skaven here.  I'm sure there's a lot of good synergy units in the Chaos Grand Alliance but it just feels wrong to mix as Skaven ;)

Finally - feel free to come and join us on the Under Empire!  I'm trying to grow AoS there and it would be great to have more relevant Skaven chat there :)

Good luck!

Thanks for the input chaps.

Verminus clawpack was not in any of the scans I saw. Hopefully it is in the book, as it's the only real Battalion I can build.

It's a shame the Doomwheel isn't considered that great, I've got two of them - such a great model.

Everyone seems to be suggesting Stormfiends, are they really that good? - I don't actually own any and was hoping to use the minis I already have before having to buy more... They do cost 100 points each in TGH! Way more pricey than Ogors.

pete

10 hours ago, pforson said:

Everyone seems to be suggesting Stormfiends, are they really that good? - I don't actually own any and was hoping to use the minis I already have before having to buy more... They do cost 100 points each in TGH! Way more pricey than Ogors.

pete

Yes, they really are, especially as you can tweak them to fit a particular mission profile. They're tough enough and have enough attacks with Rend to handle most units.

Personal preference is one with Grinder Fists for tunnelling and 2 to 4 with warpfire throwers, whilst you miss out on shooting on the turn you arrive, you're a monster killer unit, inflicting 4d3 to 8d3 mortal wounds per turn in the shooting phase and a handful more normal wounds in the combat phase.

Ok Rat fans, it appears the Verminus Clawpack is in the GH and fits perfectly with the minis I have :)

Revised list:

Clan Roland Rat

1. Verminus Clawpack
  1. Grey Seer (general)
  2. Warlord
  3. BSB
  4. Packmaster
  5. Warlock Engineer
  1. 30 Clan Rats
  2. 10 Clan Rats
  3. 10 Clan Rats
  4. 20 Stormvermin
  5. 4 Rat Ogres
  1. Warpfire Thrower
  2. Warpfire Thrower
  3. Poisoned Wind Mortar
  4. Doomwheel
  5. Hellpit Abomination

2000 points exactly.

I've had to cut 10 clan rats in order to make everything fit.

Is 5 heroes too many? How useful is the Packmaster? - should I remove him and regrow the large Clanrat horde to 40? How about losing the Warlock Engineer to get more bodies on the ground?

Ta,

Pete

I'd drop the Engineer and buff the Clanrat units up in size.

Packmasters are amazing. I don't think you want the Grey Seer as general given that you have a BSB to deal with Battleshock. I'd get Tretch or a Verminlord as a general.

• 6 months later...

Ive been building into this setup 

LEADERS

Verminlord Warbringer (300) - General - Command Trait : Lord of War

Skaven Warlord (100) - Warpforged Blade - Artefact : Crown of Conquest

Tretch Craventail (100)

Skaven Warlord (100) - Warpforged Blade - Artefact : Crown of Conquest

UNITS

30 x Clanrats (180) - Rusty Spear - Battleline

20 x Stormvermin (280) - Halberd

2 x Warpfire Thrower Weapon Team (120)

1 x Warp Grinder Weapon Team (100)

WAR MACHINES

Doomwheel (140)

Doomwheel (140)

BATTALIONS

Verminus Clawpack (80)

Milking all the bonuses from extra attacks and hit/wounds bonuses , the clanrats can do a lot of damage while I try to flank with the doomwheels. Like any other skaven , my heroes only see a fight if something went wrong. The flames/drill combo explains itself but it tends to die horribly after it has done its damage .

This thread is a little old to bump :)

Doomwheels look great and are fun, but don't rely on them to actually do anything. They've been a big disappointment in all my games, it makes me sad. You'd be better off getting more Clan Rats to guard your flanks. 

On 8-2-2017 at 3:32 PM, Dez said:

This thread is a little old to bump :)

Doomwheels look great and are fun, but don't rely on them to actually do anything. They've been a big disappointment in all my games, it makes me sad. You'd be better off getting more Clan Rats to guard your flanks. 

Don't say that. I finally convinced myself that I will find the time to paint one ?

• 4 months later...

Archived