Units without battlefield roles

I know it's a bit premature, but we noticed some units with points listed don't have corresponding battlefield roles. How do those slot in, we are assuming as many as you want once you've done the necessary stuff, is that right? 

27 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

Just fill in your battleline, pick at least 1 leader and  you can have as many units with no role as you wish.

Not sure if it's been explained, but that actually seems a little weird. There's no added benefit to going entirely one army. Shouldn't I always go Grand Alliance, grab the best battleline unit, then pick whatever I want? 

There probably isn't a good reason to not be all within one alliance at the very least.  The 'best' battleline unit will be subjective based on how you intend to support them.  Based on the sound of the scenarios you're scoring points on holding objectives from turn one if you can get there.

well as you have to pay at the lowest i think about a 10% point tax, and a +3 units deployed tax. It's kinda a hinderance to take battle line units you aren't going to use to thier fullist.

Alot of the advantage is in finishing deployment first and getting to decide if you get first or second turn on the first round. Additionally, lots of the battle lines are pretty bad with out syngeries or with out being 30 models strong for various buffs. So it can be abit of a points sink.

Edit: also i'm just assuming, but i'd bet each sub faction might get thier own set of allegiance bonuses. 

doing some battle line unit number crunching all the units are balances at least partially by the average of thier weakest state and thier strongest state. (for instances a skaven clan rats unit takes into account it's 40 man squad damage potential for 10 models and its base 10 man squad damage.) so if you don't get that full squad bonus your loosing cost effectiveness on the unit.

Wha?. Going one faction has an allegiance bonus and let's you stand a better chance than having to take the mixes GA to be even remotely competitive...if that's your thing. I'm glad to see more invent I've to face those fun armies, factions or all Minotaur, dragon ogre, spiders, whatever. 

32 minutes ago, Tronhammer NZ said:

For pitched battle games, units must be from the same Grand Alliance:

GA.JPG

Besides that, you probably want to pick the GA as your allegiance so you get the special rules (traits etc). Picking a sub-faction only lets you take different battleline units.

Yes but you also loose your grand alliance allegiance bonus if you take a subfaction according to: 

thumb_09_-_X49AEfl.jpg

So it's kinda like... maybe alittle worse to go sub-factions right now. Though, i'm under the impression they'll add allegiances for all the sub factions of the course of time. So the grand alliance allegiance acts kind of as a CAD or something from 40k. Kind of a something for now?? 

Edit: though arguments could be made that you can make your army, but pick different allegiance abilities... i dontk now. 

For instance you can say, your army has death and Soulblight alliegance, but for this game your gonna use the allegiance of death abilities??? Needs FAQing haha 

Don't forget that battleline units are hardly a tax in AoS. 10 high elf spearmen were virtually useless in 8th ed apart from the odd redirect, just free points given up. Now i can get good utility from them since they are quick to redeploy where i need them, can take an objective etc. I don't mind the whole min 3 battleline thing because it does tend to keep armies looking like armies, but thats just an opinion. The old days of needing to paint 25% core of terrible troops are still a distant memory with these rules.

For my Bloodbound I don't think the new Pitched Battle structure is going to make a massive amount of difference.  The sub-faction would be Khorne, though that does further split into Khorne Mortal (which opens up Skullcrushers).  What has been a pleasant surprise is Blood Warriors are battleline so I'm not being forced to take Bloodreavers if I don't wish to.  That said the limitation on leaders is going to be a challenge as 75% of the content of the Bloodbound Battletome consists of leaders, so some very tough choices...

Archived