Your last army list vs Generals Handook

Ben

Hi guys,

im interested to know if the last game you played fits into the generals handbook? 

Mine is a bad example as it was Chaos Dwarfs. 

May SCGT list included 3 units. Could guess are battleline though. 

Last game I played using real models I went with

Mighty Lord of Khorne

5 Wrathmongers

5 blood warriors

1 Khorgorat

-

Last game on Universal Battle was instead with Flesh Eater and I used

Abhorrant Ghoul King on foot

Terrorgheist

Varghulf

3 Crypt Horrors

Crypt Haunter Courtier (the one to summon horrors)

20 Ghouls

Crypth Ghoul Courtier (or what's his name.. the one to summon ghouls)

I've looked at the leaked points costs for my army that I took to the south coast and I won't be able to run it as it will cost toof much point wise.

It works out at 2200 points but I will have too many behemoth units.

I ran monster heavy lizards 

3 steg 

1 carnosaur 

1 troglodon 

1 bastiladon 

And the shadow strike force.

I am hoping that warscroll battalions circumvent the need for battline units and then I should be able to sneak a load of monsters in 

My last game was a couple of small 50 SCGT battles and my Seraphon force was bang on 50 pools. From what I've seen of the points, it works out to 980 points. This seems about right considering my force is half the amount you could use under SCGT and the new total is about half of the 2000 points limit which will probably become the norm.

I took 

HEROES 
Saurus Oldblood on Cold One
Saurus Sunblood

UNITS 
Saurus Guard x 15
Saurus Cavalry x 5
Saurus Warriors x 10
Chameleon Skinks x 5
Chameleon Skinks x 5

Will need to change my forces.

I'll have to rethink my Tzeentch force following the rule of 1 on spells. Nerfs Horrors and on foot Heralds heavily.

I have also been using more monsters or FW units.

Still, looking forward to a mix of Path to Glory narrative campaign using the point system.

3 minutes ago, Shane said:

Will need to change my forces.

I'll have to rethink my Tzeentch force following the rule of 1 on spells. Nerfs Horrors and on foot Heralds heavily.

I have also been using more monsters or FW units.

Still, looking forward to a mix of Path to Glory narrative campaign using the point system.

Il need to rethink my elves  as that rule makes it pointless with me bringing 3 mages to boost my knights my dragon lord and my warlocks save lol

My 2000 points WoC low model count netlist only came to 12 SCGT points, so I bulked it out with a Warshrine, Scyla Anfingrimm and the Beastmen Ungor Raiders formation (30 Ungor Raiders + 10 hounds) plus a Bray Shaman

Got that worked out at 1720 points, plus whatever the Chimera costs as I haven't noticed that yet in the leaks

Will also need to change forces, last game I took 10 blightkings and a pestilens battalion with plague drones and nurglings for chaff. None of them are battleline in a non-allegiance force, would've needed to add some Nurgle aligned chaos warriors, or plague bearers or Ungors / Gors to fill up the battleline slots, or go with one faction ie all pestilens.

So far I have 2000 points each of Pestilens, Nurgle Daemons & Rotbringers, and 600 of Beastmen (mostly 30x pestigors to fit the Nurgle theme)  but shoehorning them together now under the new pitched battle rules will be a bit harder, incredibly with all those points, I don't think I have enough to make 3x battleline units in a mixed allegiance army.

Maybe I'll just take 3x of the cheapest battleline units available to chaos to fill the slots, haven't thought too much about it yet. I defo prefer the Narrative style though, it has more interesting and mixed faction battalion formations for Nurgle, the Realmgate Wars books have some awesome quirky formations, and narrative has less restriction on mixing factions.

My average 100pt SCGT list is something along these lines

Celestant Prime

Empire General

Empire Battle Wizard

40 Halberdiers

3 Demigryph Knights

1 Gryph Hound

1 Celestial Hurricanum

1 Steam Tank

1 Canon

At 2400 points from the GH I can have

Celestant Prime

Empire General

Empire Battle Wizard

Knight Heraldor

Gunsmith

40 Halberdiers

3 Demigryph Knights

5 Decimators

4 Gryph Hounds

1 Celestial Hurricanum

1 Steam Tank

1 Canon

That comes in at 5 Leaders, 2 Behemoths, 1 Artillery and potential 4 Battleline units if I split the Halberdiers. 

5 hours ago, Ben said:

Hi guys,

im interested to know if the last game you played fits into the generals handbook? 

Mine is a bad example as it was Chaos Dwarfs. 

May SCGT list included 3 units. Could guess are battleline though. 

I don't have access to a Generals Handbook, so I have no idea.

1 hour ago, maximum_pants said:

01    gordrak fist of gork    700
01    stonehorn        360
01    thundertusk        320
06    Ironguts        440
06    Ironguts        440
------------------------------------
no battle line, and 2,260

where did you get the points for ironguts? I've not been able to find leaks for any of the non-beasthclaw Ogor stuff.

The Moonclan list I played against Mark at Derby had enough Battleline units, and few enough Leaders and Behemoths to be legal.  The three Troggoths and one Giant would have made it not Moonclan Allegiance, but I could have dropped them for another Moonclan unit if that was the situation then (sideboard!).

Otherwise I don't think I've played a single Pitched Battle legal list in all of AoS back to day one.  Not even the tiniest bit interested in a core tax - I'll grudgingly follow along if it's required of me, but would never do it voluntarily. 

80 Moonclan Grots, 5 Judicators, and 10 Chaos Warriors might even be the only Battleline units in all of Order/Destruction/Chaos that I've got painted and on rounds right now.  (I've got other Battleline units unpainted on rounds, or painted on squares.)

Hey,

I gotta say, force organisation wasn't something I was expecting...purely as its something the community hasn't picked up on (well, the battleline/core tax thing anyway). Definitely feels like a slight return to the WFB way of doing things (this feeling is furthered by the lack of the popular sideboard we've enjoyed from community packs). Not saying whether these things are good or bad, as we just don't know at the moment! Also, its always there for TO's to mix things up and add/remove things like the comp packs of old.

I have armies for all 4 of the Grand Alliances with no real preference as of yet (I'm sure once whatever the Dark Aelves become are released I will stick!) and it's looking a bit like this;

Order

I am playing pure Stormcast, so the restrictions don't really effect me as I reckon I always use 3 battleline units and rarely exceed 6 leaders. I haven't jotted up any points yet as whilst I've seen the pic of the Eternal points, for Extremis I've only seen rumoured costs so will wait and see. No concern here.

Death

Again, mainly a pure faction here with my army predominantly coming from Flesh-Eater Courts, with only a Necromancer and Mourngul added so far. Even if breaking the Allegiance, its easy enough to pop 3 units of Ghouls in as I have plenty in my list. I guess the only worry here is the 6 leader unit as I reckon this would be easy to exceed. Overall all though no concerns for my army, so all good in the cannibal hood!

Destruction

My army is currently all Ironjawz plus a pet Magma Dragon. I had planned on diversifying a bit and am unlikely to go pure Ironjawz so will need to draft in some additional battleline units (unless Ardboyz come in 5's - cant remember. Even still 3x 10 is an option I guess). Keen for this army to be painted nicely, so its key to pick units I actually want to paint, not because I need them in game. I suppose a return to core tax and this way of thinking will be the crux of peoples issue with the restrictions.

Chaos

This is the one that is bothering me most. My army has a number of conversions and has a Nurgle theme, taking from a complete mismatch of factions. Its utter rubbish on the table, but should look good if I ever finish it. I currently have zero battleline units and will have to add from the fairly bland options available for Chaos battleline. Plaguebearers are the obvious choice as they seem decent for their points and fit the theme. Really not bothered by in game ability and am not keen on having the Plaguebearers in the army if I'm honest. It's a shame Plaguemonks aren't an option as I would have gone with them. My current thought is Ungor as they are cheap so don't get in the way of other stuff and I could perhaps do some conversions. As I said with Destruction though, I want to be painting models I want to paint, not that I need to. It's already proving a chore to return to finish this army, I just hope to find motivation. I've just totted up a rough build I may field;

Orghotts 260

2x Sorcerer Lord 140 (280)

Gutrot Spume 120

2x Blightkings 180 (360)

3x Giant Rats 30 (90)

2x Plagueclaw (360)

Shaggoth 180

This totals 1,650 and I would usually field around 5-6 Varanguard + Sayl the Faithless (and probably minus Gutrot) in a 100pt SCGT army. Interested to see how many Varanguard I get for my 350 and then will have to squeeze for the core tax as well. Dropping the rats is the obvious shout, but aesthetically I love how they look amidst the Blightkings etc.

Lots to ponder and plenty to take in. It's certainly an exciting time and I believe my event on 6th August will be one of the first to use the General's Handbook, which is pretty sweet (just may drop the force organisation to allow people to adjust from SCGT/Clash to GH).

Chris x

Ok so apparently its 360 for 3 Varanguard. This makes them 50% more expensive compared to SCGT. Ouch! Haven't done much in the way of individual comparison like that, as without knowing the battleplans etc its hard to comment on the validity of the costing.

Looks like I'll have to go back to the drawing board a little!

At first glance I do think the army restrictions are the bit I least like in this book, going a bit too far down the road of army restrictions in the realm that was.  I much preferred the carrot approach of synergies to encourage cohesive army designs.  I think most people's army could easily cope with the limits on leaders, war machines and behemoths but the battleline requirements I feel are going to just lead to outbreaks of cheap battleline units (orruks, ungor, spearmen etc) skulking about at the rear of everyones army just to enable the selection of the more interesting units.

For me it is not much issue as I play most of my games casually so I can pick and choose how to play.  From a tournament perspective I hope that the organizers continue to embrace the diversity that has developed over the last twelve months and continue to experiment with new ways to approach playing the game. 

26 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Ok so apparently its 360 for 3 Varanguard. This makes them 50% more expensive compared to SCGT. Ouch! Haven't done much in the way of individual comparison like that, as without knowing the battleplans etc its hard to comment on the validity of the costing.

Looks like I'll have to go back to the drawing board a little!

It could be that the standard game size for the community goes back to the old 2400pts, this lets people get in the same amount of models as SCGT and Clash without going to the higher restriction Bracket of 2500

Archived