I have the Generals Handbook. Ask Me Anything.

Ben

Humm,,this is probably more of an faq thing,,but what if a player makes an entire list of say,Deathlords units,then chooses the last 20% or so points to be the summoning pool.Do they have to choose only Deathlords units to summon?

IMO, if you want to gain bonuses for entire army comprised of Deathlords units, summoning pool also have to be from this group. All in all, this should be decided on list building level, summoning ppol can be decided when starting the game with that list I guess.

7 hours ago, Mlake2008 said:

How is list building done with units that have no classification, such as leader, behemoth, battleline, artillery?

You can take as many as you want of unclassified units.

1 hour ago, Umjammerlama said:

How many points is Thanquol and Boneripper?

500 points.

7 hours ago, Mlake2008 said:

So you can have thanqoul as your leader , clanrats as battleline, and still pick others units from other clans of skaven example, stormfiends from Skyre(not as battleline) as long as they fit in the points max and with in the different unit type restrictions?

Yes, you'd just be limited to using the Chaos Alliance bonuses, you wouldn't get access to any future Clan specific bonuses.

Yepp you will have to pay 360 as far as i understood it. 

But on the other hand you arme allowed to house rule it. Just pay 270 . That was also in the Book you're welcome to make houserules. So do what you want. ?

Edited by Xerox

In Summoning, are the points set aside strictly for summoning spells? Or do they also include abilities that let you add units during the battle that are not summoning. For example Alarrielle has an ability to roll on a table during the hero phase and possibly add a treelord or unit of dryads. Also some of the battle plans enable a command abilty that lets you generate units.

Edited by DeCaramas

17 minutes ago, DeCaramas said:

In Summoning, are the points set aside strictly for summoning spells? Or do they also include abilities that let you add units during the battle that are not summoning. For example Alarrielle has an ability to roll on a table during the hero phase and possibly add a treelord or unit of dryads. Also some of the battle plans enable a command abilty that lets you generate units.

I'm pretty sure these types are excluded from the summoning rules.   There isn't a great way to validate what *might* be summoned against a pool you set aside for purposeful summons -- unless they state that you can't summon it if you don't have the points.

Edited by daedalus81

Any sort of spell or ability that creates a new unit will need to take from your "reinforcement points" when they are put on the battlefield. You can choose not to pay the points and forfeit the unit if you so choose.

Any type of ability that summons models in a unit but not new units doesn't have to pay points, but you can't exceed the units starting size.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bass294 said:

Any sort of spell or ability that creates a new unit will need to take from your "reinforcement points" when they are put on the battlefield. You can choose not to pay the points and forfeit the unit if you so choose.

Any type of ability that summons models in a unit but not new units doesn't have to pay points, but you can't exceed the units starting size.

Direct from the book?  That's much cleaner, and better, in my head.

7 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

Direct from the book?  That's much cleaner, and better, in my head.

Yeah direct from the book. Can't post pics of the book here but there's a few paragraphs on it. It's good they did a very catchall "reinforcement points" system rather than making summoning different.

• Like 3

Hi @Ben, thanks for all the info so far and apologies if this has been answered already.

Just wondering if you have any insider knowledge about whether points will eventually be included in new warscrolls down the line? I really hope they don't do this, as keeping them separate feels much more in line with the do-as-you-like spirit of the game. Also being able to tweak things later is nice too of course, but I'm more concerned that they keep things nice and light!

11 hours ago, Tommy said:

Hi @Ben, thanks for all the info so far and apologies if this has been answered already.

Just wondering if you have any insider knowledge about whether points will eventually be included in new warscrolls down the line? I really hope they don't do this, as keeping them separate feels much more in line with the do-as-you-like spirit of the game. Also being able to tweak things later is nice too of course, but I'm more concerned that they keep things nice and light!

I've not got any insider knowledge beyond my Trade Rep, but the Warscrolls in the latest WD don't have points costs. Whether or not the Sylvaneth Battletome scrolls will, i don't know.

I see that the questions asked are mainly about points. I am just very interested in the Open and Narrative aspect of the book.
I understand that there are a few battleplans that have fixed units choices for Narrative based game.
I wonder for the global campaign that is coming up, will there be fixed units in battleplans that we play against for the storyline to progress?
I will certainly hope that all the hobby shops which are partaking in the official documentation of the event will game us seriously if that is the case.. LOL..
Ben, what do you think?

Edited by gnaleinad
error
  • Like 1

I wonder for the global campaign that is coming up, will there be fixed units in battleplans that we play against for the storyline to progress? Awesome - that makes me so happy.

There doesn't appear such a thing, but some encourage more monsters or use of the dreadhold.  Also painting scores you points during the campaign.

You'll enjoy this review posted elsewhere:

https://ttgamingdiary.wordpress.com/2016/06/29/review-generals-handbook-campaign-pack/

Edited by daedalus81

15 hours ago, gnaleinad said:

I see that the questions asked are mainly about points. I am just very interested in the Open and Narrative aspect of the book.
I understand that there are a few battleplans that have fixed units choices for Narrative based game.
I wonder for the global campaign that is coming up, will there be fixed units in battleplans that we play against for the storyline to progress?
I will certainly hope that all the hobby shops which are partaking in the official documentation of the event will game us seriously if that is the case.. LOL..
Ben, what do you think?

There are four Battleplans for the campaign, one for each week. There aren't any fixed units in them that you have to play, but i would imagine if you talk to your FLGS/GW store they'd probably come up with something.

Has anyone noticed how unbalanced some of the path to glory tables are? Just compare Stormcast and Sylvaneth.

Stormcast infantry table all has options for 10 liberators

Mounted is 1: 5 gryph-hounds, 2-5: 2 dracoth riders 6: drakesworn templers.

Hero options are 6 assorted heroes.

General options are: Lord-celestant on foot + 7, drakoth + 6 or stardrake + 5.

Sylvaneth infantry is 1-3: 5 dryads, 4: 5 revenants,  5: 5 spite revenants, 6: 3 kunoth hunters.

Hero is 1-2: branchwraith, 3-4 branchwych, 5-6 treelord.

General options are wraith/wych + 6 or Treelord anchient/durthu + 4

Am I missing something? I was really looking forward to path to glory with sylvaneth but the tables are just insulting. 5 drayds really?

How exactly does the army selection work?

if I play Spiderfang Allegiance and run 3x 10 spider riders, a boss on spider and 3 arachnaroks. But then I have another 400 points I need to spend.

Can I use Troggoths? Or does that mean I no longer run Spiderfang Allegiance? 

Im not quite sure on this yet so please enlighten me. 

19 hours ago, Bass294 said:

Has anyone noticed how unbalanced some of the path to glory tables are? Just compare Stormcast and Sylvaneth.

Stormcast infantry table all has options for 10 liberators

Mounted is 1: 5 gryph-hounds, 2-5: 2 dracoth riders 6: drakesworn templers.

Hero options are 6 assorted heroes.

General options are: Lord-celestant on foot + 7, drakoth + 6 or stardrake + 5.

Sylvaneth infantry is 1-3: 5 dryads, 4: 5 revenants,  5: 5 spite revenants, 6: 3 kunoth hunters.

Hero is 1-2: branchwraith, 3-4 branchwych, 5-6 treelord.

General options are wraith/wych + 6 or Treelord anchient/durthu + 4

Am I missing something? I was really looking forward to path to glory with sylvaneth but the tables are just insulting. 5 drayds really?

Not seen the book. Could you not use points ala Matched Play to make a warband instead?

55 minutes ago, Flogger said:

How exactly does the army selection work?

if I play Spiderfang Allegiance and run 3x 10 spider riders, a boss on spider and 3 arachnaroks. But then I have another 400 points I need to spend.

Can I use Troggoths? Or does that mean I no longer run Spiderfang Allegiance? 

Im not quite sure on this yet so please enlighten me. 

If you take units from a different sub-faction, you can no longer use their traits and artefacts, and you dont unlock their additional battle line units. Instead you use the over all Grand Alliance ones.

At the moment it doesn't make much difference since Sylvaneth are the only faction with their own, but that will change over time.