I have the Generals Handbook. Ask Me Anything.

Ben

Apologies if this has been asked already, but I understand that if you satisfy the GH requirements for (say) both Stormcast and Order allegiances, you must pick between these allegiances. If you choose Stormcast, then you get the choice of extra battleline unit options (and nothing more). If and only if you choose Order, you get the Order Battle Trait, Command Trait and 1 Artefact.

It seems that there's no reason to go Stormcast Allegiance at the moment (pending the release of Stormcast Traits and artefacts). I think it's worth highlighting this at forthcoming tournaments, as otherwise people will be shooting themselves in the foot by committing to an allegiance when building a list and jettisoning the traits.

mmm, I'm not so sure, actually. Maybe I totally missed this with the GW store guy but aren't non-Sylvaneth factions supposed to be getting a list (or even one) allegiance battle trait so it's GA or bonus for staying themed or sub-factioned? Obviously we've been using just GA for our GHB games so far, since nothing else is out yet. Maybe anyone with complete book in hand and knowledge of future Magic 8-ball scrying could correct? 

"results unclear" "don't bet on it" :) 

18 hours ago, Veterannoob said:

mmm, I'm not so sure, actually. Maybe I totally missed this with the GW store guy but aren't non-Sylvaneth factions supposed to be getting a list (or even one) allegiance battle trait so it's GA or bonus for staying themed or sub-factioned? Obviously we've been using just GA for our GHB games so far, since nothing else is out yet. Maybe anyone with complete book in hand and knowledge of future Magic 8-ball scrying could correct? 

"results unclear" "don't bet on it" :) 

Future Battletomes will get the sub-faction bonuses, as per Sylvaneth. Until then though there are only the Grand Alliance bonuses in the GH. I know Bonesplitterz Orruks are getting their book next week, what remains to be seen though is what will happen with factions that already have a Battletome.

• Like 1

The command traits/unique lores definitely make the battletomes a lot more attractive. I'd pick up the Pestilens book if it had those. Bit messy to update them so soon after release but I hope they find a way to do it. Stormcast, Fyreslayers, Ironjawz, Everchosen, Seraphon all deserve some cool stuff on that front. More ways to differentiate the factions is a good thing in my opinion.

I'm hoping they might consider releasing PDF's for each of the existing Battletomes that contain some traits for those armies.  It would at least level the playing field out and avoid people suffering from having an "old" army and mean they can focus on bringing out the new Battletomes :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuneBrush said:

I'm hoping they might consider releasing PDF's for each of the existing Battletomes that contain some traits for those armies.  It would at least level the playing field out and avoid people suffering from having an "old" army and mean they can focus on bringing out the new Battletomes :)

That's my understanding as well, that soon after the GHB release we'll get allegiance traits for all the many specific ways the GHB cuts up armies.

• Like 1

The General's Handbook doesn't seem like it deals with Allegiances in the way they were intended as per this...

...so it looks like we will be getting an FAQ upon release to cover this and presumably some other items. Really hope they backdate the traits and artefacts for "old" battletomes. It's somewhat clumsy that the format has shifted so drastically already. Makes it seem more reactionary than planned if you get me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

The General's Handbook doesn't seem like it deals with Allegiances in the way they were intended as per this...

...so it looks like we will be getting an FAQ upon release to cover this and presumably some other items. Really hope they backdate the traits and artefacts for "old" battletomes. It's somewhat clumsy that the format has shifted so drastically already. Makes it seem more reactionary than planned if you get me.

From my reading of it, if you choose all your units from one subfaction, you unlock it's battleline. But you can qualify for multiple allegiance abilities. Then you choose before a game which set of abilities you use. So with the example armies you give, if you make an army where all the units have the Ironjawz keyword, and the Destruction keyword, you have to choose before a game which set of abilities to use because an Ironjawz army IS a Destruction army.

This opens the game up for future variations of subfaction. The Extremis chamber of Stormcast for example. Units chosen from that would qualify for Order, Stormcast and Extremis allegiance abilities.

It's separate from army building because the rules for allegiances apply to every form of game, not just pointed matches.

Edited by AdHocGames

15 minutes ago, James McPherson said:

I'm so confused right now. So I can pick an all-Pestilens force, but still get Chaos Grand Allegiance traits and arcane items? My Verminlord Corruptor really needs that Crown of Command!

Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 17.32.27.png

Yes. The Allegiance Abilities are separate to the list building process. They have to be because they apply to all forms of the game, not just point matches.

25 minutes ago, James McPherson said:

I only just bought a load of battleline from other factions because I thought that was the only way to get access to the abilities and traits for my Clan Pestilens. I ordered 40 clan rats, 20 marauders and 10 plaguebearers. ******!

Too late to cancel the order? Perhaps get more Plague Monks :)

5 hours ago, Blueraven84 said:

In matched play do you still roll who gets the first turn in the battle round or is it you go, I go?

From the reviews I have listened to though, GW have been very up front about encouraging people to house rule to improve their experience - the base to base house rule is specifically mentioned.

On that basis I would say that if you and your group prefer to not have an initiative roll, then agree to not do it. If it works for you and the people you play with why not do it?

• Like 1

You could...but man, are you missing out on one of the best parts in my opinion! It makes the game more fluid, you can't really plan for the next turn in just one dimension. You have to think about multiple possibilities, like...where do I want this unit to be if I get initiative? Do I want it there if I Don't get initiative? I dunno, it's the end of the day and I'm running out of steam so I don't have great examples I just think it really adds to the game. 

• Like 2