First game with Death

Chris Tomlin

Hey,

Tonight I am playing my first game with my Death army. We will be using 100 SCGT pools each and probably just picking a cool sounding battleplan from one of the battletomes. My list is in no way honed (or even planned!) and depending on the battleplan might be hamstrung further.

I added up the pool cost of the models I owned and after chucking in the Ghoul Patrol battalion ended up with 97;

Abhorrent Ghoul King

3 Crypt Ghast Courtiers

Varghulf Courtier

Necromancer

60 Crypt Ghouls

3 Crypt Horrors

Terrorgheist

Mourngul

Ghoul Patrol Battalion

I think I'm likely to get curb stomped, but it'll be fun to get the toys on the table and will hopefully provide some indication of the things I need to add to shape the list going forward. Because of some of my model choices it will be hard to spam things like Crypt Horrors, but still.

I'm going to be playing Dom Hook with a mostly Skaven themed Chaos army (unless he rolls out the Seraphon for a first time!).

I shall report back tomorrow...

Yeh Ghoul Patrol sounds quite fun tbh. My only concern is if it will result in a couple of the Courtiers being out of position. Tbh I need to give it (all!) a proper read again before I play.

Dom usually uses a couple of Verminlords, WLC, shooty Fiends, Rat Ogres and Storm Vermin so yeh could be tough as @Nico says.

Hoping to big up the Mourngul to take lots of attention away from the squishy Flesh-Eaters!

As it happens, the game may not take place tonight now unfortunately as I've had some bad news and may need to delay. Hopefully I'm able to play and can report back tomorrow!

Ok...well that went about as well as expected. Actually that's a lie, it was worse.

Dom's army was; Skreech Verminking, Deceiver, Arch Warlock, Chaos Sorcerer Lord, 2x 10 Plague Monks, 20 Stormvermin, 3 Storm Fiends, 6 Rat Ogres, Warp Lightning Cannon and 10 Giant Rats. Think that's about it?

We played the first SCGT scenario (I'll assume most people will be familiar with this), which on paper seems a great match up as I had soooo many more Heroes and Monsters than Dom. Also the "battle for the pass" deployment (lengthways) could maybe allow for the Ghoul Patrol to really cause some havoc. However, I scuppered my chances right from the off with my first mistake; I dropped the Ghoul Patrol as my first choice, thus explaining the battalion to Dom, allowing him to deploy in a fashion to neutralise it. This was a big error, but a valuable lesson to learn as for all my AoS experience, I've not actually played with any battalion or unit that starts off the table!!

A further mistake as part of this was that I split my 60 Ghouls into 3x 20, all in the Patrol. The error here is that there is only one Courtier within the battalion, so it meant I'd have 2 more on the table that I'd have to try and actively manoeuvre to support the oncoming units.

Overall my deployment was poor, being new to the army I missed and mixed up a couple of the synergies, meaning I was battling against myself early doors. Dom buffed up the Deceiver with all sorts of reroll goodness and Skitterleaped him near to one of my objectives. Over a few rounds, the rerolls and Rend -3 really hurt me really badly....not to mention the massed number of saves Dom made, alongside failed Arcane Bolt attempts, a double 1 charge and 2 failed Mystical terrain rolls (it was right on the objective so I couldn't dodge it). This allowed the Deceiver to take down the Terrorgheist, Ghoul King, Courtier and Necromancer who were camped near this objective before finally going down to Ghouls (after a second attempt at a 3" charge!). It was pretty nasty, but again I can't bemoan the luck as there was some error on my part amidst the dice spikes. Leaving the 'gheist near to so many characters was a disaster as when he died he spread those D3 mortal wounds amongst them...something I completely overlooked, but again a good lesson.

The early advantage to Dom pushed the storm front into my territory and gave me quite the uphill battle.

After that it went increasingly downhill as I attempted to chase the game. The Mourngul who was camped in a wood on one objective (2+ save, ignoring Rend, 4+ ignoring mortal wounds) was looking safe, but I ran him forward to try and take one of Dom's objective. He got stuck on the Stormvermin and in one round of combat failed 8 out of 12 3+ saves - ouch!!!

Elsewhere things weren't going any better, Dom was savvy enough to take down the Courtiers, both robbing me of buffs for the Ghouls and my ability to contest the objectives. It was a resounding win to the Chaos.

Overall I really enjoyed the army, but it was clear that deployment and movement, plus positional play in general is crucial to keep the synergies up. There may also be some work around splitting the 60 Ghouls.

Anyway, lunch. Maybe more this afternoon.

Chris

On 24 June 2016 at 2:00 PM, Chris Tomlin said:

After that it went increasingly downhill as I attempted to chase the game. The Mourngul who was camped in a wood on one objective (2+ save, ignoring Rend, 4+ ignoring mortal wounds) was looking safe, but I ran him forward to try and take one of Dom's objective. He got stuck on the Stormvermin and in one round of combat failed 8 out of 12 3+ saves - ouch!!!

Elsewhere things weren't going any better, Dom was savvy enough to take down the Courtiers, both robbing me of buffs for the Ghouls and my ability to contest the objectives. It was a resounding win to the Chaos.

Overall I really enjoyed the army, but it was clear that deployment and movement, plus positional play in general is crucial to keep the synergies up. There may also be some work around splitting the 60 Ghouls.

Anyway, lunch. Maybe more this afternoon.

That sounds rough. Hope you had fun though!

I'm not sure that you can deploy the Ghoul Patrol normally though. My war scroll battalion reads "must place them to one side", rather than may.

Yeh you definitely can't, they have to start off the table as you say. What I meant was that rather than distributing my Ghouls as 3x 20 in the Patrol, I could maybe put 3 smaller units in the Patrol and 1 on the table (various options available). That said, going forward with the General's Handbook it looks like we will have fixed lists again, so I would have to stipulate how big each unit is on my list, rather than SCGT/Clash where I just have 60 Ghouls and can split them as I see fit during deployment each game (including putting 3 units in the Patrol if I wish).

The game was definitely fun though!

Archived