FaceHammer GT - September 24/25 UK Event

Terry Pike

59 minutes ago, Percivael said:

Many thanks guys for an amazing weekend of gaming and hobby! It was my first tournament and the staff, TOs and my opponents were all friendly and top notch! It made my weekend/year to get a nomination for best army for my nautical themed Dark Aelves, and an honourable mention in the awards ceremony - I'm taking that as coming joint third! (-; It was great to be interviewed by Lez too! Im already thinking about an army for next year - something a little more competitive I think, with a lower model count! Something Ogor sized, Fimir perhaps? Anyway, thanks again guys.

This could have easily been a winner in the painting, the freehand on the banners and overall theme was really good. The final decisions for picking the winners was soooo close!

• Like 1

Hey,

Pretty sure I've made my feelings on this Tournament clear over on Twitter haha!!

I'm super busy at work this week so don't have the biggest amount of time for TGA unfortunately.

So in short (and not mentioning specific names as I don't want to miss anyone!), just a massive massive thank you to everyone; the fantastic team of TO's, the super friendly venue staff, the awesome group of bros I travelled up with, 5 unbelievably amazing opponents and in general possibly the best field in terms of sweet entrants at an event ever. Everyone was so nice and I loved hanging out and chatting with you all. The prizes were something else and overall the quality of the event was a gamer changer IMO.

I have genuinely never felt so overwhelmed at the end of an event. I am so so lucky and thankful to take the painting. The competition was fantastic and everyone who got a nomination should be so proud. You all deserve a sword, I mean that. I was also completely humbled to win best opponent/sports. Thanks so much to my opponents for making it easy for me to be a good opponent!, You were all amazing.

Individual painting contest was really strong as well I thought. Really glad I stayed up till 3am (again!) rebasing those Warlocks. They are one of my favourite things I've ever converted/painted so that award was really something as well (and again, unexpected!).

Congrats to all the other winners, you're all awesome!!!

There will be a podcast out next week (after Cheltenham) covering this all in more detail, so check that out in time.

16 hours ago, Percivael said:

Wow! Cheers @Terry PikeThat will spur me on!

Yeh seriously dude, your army was awesome. I love Dark Elves and yours are brilliant.

15 hours ago, Dez said:

ironjawz iz BEST :)

amirite @Chris Tomlin?

Haha!! Cheers man...they certainly did me proud this weekend for sure.

Anyway, that's about all the time I can spare for now...my inbox is filling up as I type this :S 

Much love to you all,

The Megaboss ;) 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Like 2

Hi, I didn't attend this event due to logistics but having played at and watched the recorded stream from Warlords a couple of weeks earlier I was eager to see what it would be like to watch an AOS stream live over this weekend. I don't think enough has been said about the stream at Facehammer on Twitter or here yet due to the unfortunate loss (as I understand it) of game recordings. in comparison to the 700+ who watched the Warlords stream the steady 30-40 viewers of Facehammer table 1 was obviously less well seen but this in no way was as a result of it being any less interesting.

I was lucky enough to see 4 out of the 5 games and being able to hear the players while they played made watching the games much easier to follow. The first game between Chris and Pano was a great opener with both indulging in early morning drinking whilst swearing like dockers. Their game was much less serious than all the others with some great moments like Megaboss Krunk taking down Khul and Chris grunting like a pig when doing anything with the Gore Gruntas. It was also great to hear cheering, clapping and shouts of 'legend' from all the other other competitors when Chris bellowed 'witness me' at the top of his lungs. It really set the scene and conveyed a geat atmosphere evident. 

Games 2 and 3 were understandably less raucous affairs but much better to watch than the Warlord games. Don't get me wrong, I thought the Warlords coverage was amazing but their commentators are going to need to be able to hear what the players are saying if they hope to compete with the independent scene coverage in future. One interesting side note of having mics on table 1 was that you could also hear nearby conversations off camera especially during the breaks between games - some people may not want to stand quite so near table 1 when discussing their previous opponents ;) The addition of dice to show what turn the players were on and who had priority was very useful. Rolling dice in a separate box with a camera is probably not needed as you could work out what had been rolled by listening to the players and the games speeded up when the players stopped using the box. The on screen scores, player names, factions, round timings and scenarios were really useful but in future it would be much better to have the on screen scores updated in real time as it sometimes caused a bit of confusion following the games.

Unfortunately I missed game 4 but game 5 was excellent to see. I was trying to do other things at the same time as watching but ended up giving up on those and focusing on what was happening as it was a really tight game played by two top players with very strong lists. The slight controversy at the end over the playing of turn 5 was great drama and is the sort of thing that good post-coverage discussion could hinge on. Overall I thought that the streaming was top notch and another step forward in progressing the competitive play of miniature gaming forward. In my opinion it's important that this new development is not glossed over and continues as well as it has started. All future 2 day tournaments if possible really need to be streaming table 1 from now on to the standard that Facehammer have set.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hey,

@Rupert Read - That's cool feedback. Whilst the game me and @Pano had was awesome fun, I certainly wasn't a straight up Tournament game and I was kinda worried that people may not enjoy the stream as much because of that.

Me and @Cowboy Boots Matt provide our coverage of the event and our games on the latest TBS episode. It's a bit of a monster but also features an interview with @TDK, including a full rundown of the Champs games! Check it out;

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1