FaceHammer GT - September 24/25 UK Event

Terry Pike

31 minutes ago, Nico said:

They seem well represented up there (cf. Ironjawz - where were they?), but probably lacking the comboes to take down a tournament.

Butchered your post a bit there Nico. But yeh, in short, pure Ironjawz have some nice raw power on the attack, but lack the defence and versatility to perform across a 5/6 game event IMO. It does not surprise me one bit that all 4 of the pure Ironjawz armies I was tracking over the weekend at Warlords (me, Pete, James & Alistair) finished on around about the same, with 3 wins max (I believe the highest of which being me in 35th - could be wrong, haven't analysed the results fully yet).

The funny thing though is that when we get our own allegiance bonuses, I honestly do not see how they will add more to the army than the generic Destruction ones do! Not a complaint, I love the Destruction abilities and the challenge of using Ironjawz :D 

Anyway...sorry @Terry Pike, derailing your thread.

OK, so getting back on topic. A query about this Facehammer GT event. I don't think this has been covered previously, but I know someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

So you rock up to the table with your two army lists, and your opponent turns up with his two. What's the process for deciding which list you are going to play? Obviously there is a big advantage to choosing second, once your opponent has declared which list he is going to use.

I would suggest that you roll off, and the loser has to declare first which of their lists they are using. What do you think Mr T.O. @Terry Pike? Or maybe you both secretly choose and then reveal simultaneously? Hmmm. I quite like that 2nd one.

You both exchange lists so you can see what 2 options you may be playing.

You then then pick one of the lists you will be using and place it face down/hidden/under your battletome etc and put your other list away.

When you have both picked you both reveal and these will be the armies used for the battleround.

• Like 1

Looks good in general.

I've already mentioned Lords of the Lodge. How about halving the cost of the formation if you're going to ban half its rules?

Why are people already comping Wyldwoods to one model? It seems a little early to conclude that Sylvaneth are overpowered - upper middle of the pack more like.

Also really don't care for insisting on bringing the models for the Wyldwoods instead of (say) swamp terrain Fat Mat cut outs of the same shape - the models love to topple over on the roots of the actual models (and you mention damaging them on the trees), which wastes time. The swamp mats look good and save a fortune.

Edited by Nico

On 9/16/2016 at 6:04 PM, Nico said:

Also really don't care for insisting on bringing the models for the Wyldwoods instead of (say) swamp terrain Fat Mat cut outs of the same shape - the models love to topple over on the roots of the actual models (and you mention damaging them on the trees), which wastes time. The swamp mats look good and save a fortune.

i'd assume for the same reason you have to bring archaon if you want to use archaon instead of a very nice circular mouse mat? As already mentioned in this topic, you can't place models on the holes of the forest template if you choose to remove the trees so a mousemat would need to be printed with those holes in the same place?

apologies if i've misunderstood

i'd assume for the same reason you have to bring archaon if you want to use archaon instead of a very nice circular mouse mat? As already mentioned in this topic, you can't place models on the holes of the forest template if you choose to remove the trees so a mousemat would need to be printed with those holes in the same place?

The mats look fine. I really don't give a monkey about the trees and don't want to start that cursed debate again. You can add/make your own trees if you want. I do care about models toppling over because the bases aren't flat enough (ditto the hilly battleboards at Warhammer World - combining the Wyldwoods with a slope is a recipe for fail); and spending significant amount of time placing the models so they don't fall over and aren't scratched by the trees. Above all else - the woods are excruciatingly expensive - you could buy a Beastclaw army for the cost of 9 wood models - not great to pay for them only to have them topple over a metal model and chip it. 

• Like 1

On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 2:01 PM, Fungrim said:

Hi guys,

Friend is asking:

With the house rule of 6s always hitting - will that stop the masque of slaanesh's 'dodge' ability if the dice rolled for that is a six?

Hi the Masques ability will not work as the event house rule overrules its special ability. The 6 is always a hit rule is to make it so models that would need 7s, 8s etc to hit can still hit.

Sorry had to edit this as we agreed this evening that the house rule has to be followed.

Edited by Terry Pike
  • Like 1

On 21 September 2016 at 8:35 AM, Adasi said:

I think you have a little Adam. It states in the faQ 'the official GW model' for a wood, implying no proxies or conversions. There is nothing stating in the pack that Archaon had to be the official gw model. You could bring a wicked awesome conversion of a three headed dragon as your archaon and that would be fine. With the woods you can't do this. 

• Like 1

Can't believe I'm the first to give feedback on here. This was one of the bests events I've been to. Slick organisation lead to everything running on time and the atmosphere was outstanding. Maybe it's AOS but there wasn't a single rule issue all weekend which was also great. 

Pros

Organisation - as above thanks to all the Facehammer guys 

Venue - element has really shaped up and is unrecognisable from the old days. 

Media coverage - able to watch the top table game without all crowding round was great fun and having a game on screen was kinda awesome too.

Armosphere - almost felt like an American style con and had I not been 3 miles away I'm sure I'd have stayed for the masterclass from Russ (wife points are important though).

Cons 

Best in faction going to the highest placed seemed a little off somehow with only 4 factions. Maybe need to look at an alternative way of winning these? Currently top three get two trophies each - it was much different when you had 12-15 books to award.

Overall ?? from me and a 5* event

deffinately be back for this must attend event next time

• Like 1

Massive congratulations to all the facehammer team for this past weekends event.  Was top notch, the guys at Element Games are brilliant, and the venue is amazing. 

Had 5 epic games against 5 great opponents.

Was a real buzz at the event, just a great atmosphere.

Organisation was brilliant, everything ran really smoothly, food was good. 

Media coverage looked great,barely had a chance to check out the live stream though as I was too busy gaming or talking to a bunch of people.

Seminars were excellent and a really profesionally done,  for new or old gamers I would def reccomend checking out the videos of these when they get put up.

I would say Facehammer Gt has now become one of the 'must go' events in the calendar, and think next year tickets will be like goldust.

So when it comes around get your name down quickly before they go.

• Like 2

Excellent organisation and atmosphere all round.  I had a great time during both the main event and the path to glory on the Friday.  I agree with Tony about the awards and as I've said before in previous event feedback with only four races we should have a one trophy rule so the top three are exempt from best in race.

The only downside to this event is the travel.  We skipped the award ceremony (Which I hate doing) and still didn't get home till late.  It took one hour just to get on the M6.

I (obviously) absolutely loved it. I tweeted this earlier, but the whole event - from the organisation, the streaming, the interviews and all of the media, the event packs, the staff, the atmosphere was inspired. The venue was amazing, highly recommended.

It is legit now one of the staple events of the year and I truly believe it will go from strength to strength. A massive thanks to the Facehammer Team for putting on the event, you boys were top notch.

I am chuffed to bits I was able to take the event out, so much so I got home yesterday as was so wired I didn't fall asleep until the early hours of the morning.

Thanks to all of my opponents and thanks to all the bros who stayed up drinking with me! #Toptablebehaviour is a thing.

The Champ x

• Like 2

Many thanks guys for an amazing weekend of gaming and hobby! It was my first tournament and the staff, TOs and my opponents were all friendly and top notch! It made my weekend/year to get a nomination for best army for my nautical themed Dark Aelves, and an honourable mention in the awards ceremony - I'm taking that as coming joint third! (-; It was great to be interviewed by Lez too! Im already thinking about an army for next year - something a little more competitive I think, with a lower model count! Something Ogor sized, Fimir perhaps? Anyway, thanks again guys.

• Like 1