We played this scenario using the SCGT comp (100 points). We went for more of a 'ruined city wall' setting, rather than the chaos dreadhold from the book. However we applied the scenery rules for dreadhold to our walls. 3 objectives on or behind the walls to be captured before the end of turn 6.

Khorne Bloodbound allied with Skaven Pestilens, led by Bel'Akor vs Warherds allied with Thunderscorn led by a Bull centaur. So a mixed bag.

Bloodbound kicked off with an epic first turn. Boosted by the command ability from the scenario, the blood secretor's banner and also by a piece of mystical terrain, they were able to push through the first line(chimera, ghorgon, bull centaur, chariot) and were quickly at the base of the walls. Pestilens sneaking up the left flank, through the woods, heading for the left-hand city gate.

Bullgors, boosted by being in a battalion formation, put out some heavy damage on the counter attack, obliterating the 6 skullcrushers. Blood warrior units absorbing a lot of damage, but giving it back in the process. 

Assaulting the wall slowed the advance quite a bit, but Bel'Akor was able to fly up there to lead the advance, supported by artillery fire from the skaven weapon teams.. Gradually the Dragon Ogres were overwhelmed and the walls were stormed. Victory to Khorne! 

storm the walls.jpgstorm the walls2.jpg

stormthewalls3.jpg

stormthewalls4.jpg

skaven assault.jpg

I have played this one quite a few times, it is a great battle plan but I always find the attacker will win. The +1 to hit bubble as a command ability is huge. The battleplan says it is suited if the defender has half the models that the attacker has but i think an even model/SCGT point cost suits the scenario better.

Great pictures! What program do you use to white out the background?

Thanks! The game lasted about 4 hours, I think. We usually like to take time over a battle..no rush ;-)  I'm doing the re-touching in photoshop, cutting out the background etc. Yes, I agree the command ability for the attacker is really powerful. The scenery rules for the walls help to balance it back a bit in favour of the defender. We actually had equal SCGT points but Khorne had double the number of models. The game felt reasonably balanced, just maybe would have been better to keep all the defenders back a bit to prevent the attacker getting a big charge in the first turn. That way, some of those monsters (particularly the chimera)  might have had the chance to do some damage and disrupt the advance.

Archived