First Foray in the Mortal Realms

Ademo

Hi all, I started an AOS force recently but haven't played any games yet, and to be honest, wasn't hugely expecting to any time soon due to lack of interest in my group. However one of my mates has suddenly shown interest in digging out his chaos and having a throwdown.... tonight! So just wondering if people had any advice as it will be our very first game. Any do's/ don'ts? Any scenarios worth a look or just go vanilla? How about special scenery rules or not?

We will both be using fairly small forces - around 6 scrolls, very much msu - will this adversely effect the game? We'll be fighting ogors vs chaos!

Thanks in advance for any advice/info!

Sounds fine. If the forces both seem fairly even they probably are. I would use a scenario if you have one and don't worry too much about the scenery, maybe one or two mystic pieces.

This is a decent scenario to play to get in to the swing of things:

http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/ToS-Clash-of-Empires-Battleplan.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try to balance your match around roughly equal Wounds. It's not a perfect balancing mechanism, but it helps

My first game was playing Saurus Warriors against Chaos Warriors. I did not realize that the latter had 2 Wounds each... it did not end well, to say the least

Thanks for all the replies guys, and excellent link Jabber! We played using the clash pack and I must say we both had a really enjoyable game. We ended up rolling a double objective, first to capture the centre piece of terrain and second to kill enemy unit leaders and characters. The game was remarkably close but thanks to a cheeky shaman moving in to the terrain on the last turn, I managed to snatch a win for destruction.

We had a chat afterwards about the game and both reflected pretty positively.

For starters, we were a bit concerned that units and characters looked very 'killy' with loads of attacks etc but actually the saves and multiple wounds balanced things up nicely and we felt stuff behaved the way it should (based off our WHF experiences). We liked magic and it definitely felt more subtle - either giving slight boosts or niggling away and dealing small amounts of damage - a big improvement from the purple sun days (not sundaes)! The movement was very fluid and you did really have to think about how the enemy would respond and how the roll for the next battle round would impact. So different strategy to WHF but definite strategy in the game.

So once again, thanks for the help, we had a blast! 

This is a great post. I've finally pulled the trigger on AoS. I've been waiting for ages to see how the Aelfs are gonna look, but grew tired of waiting and succumbed to Death. Got my starter skelly horde and a friend with Orruks. Can't wait to get our first game in. Hope it's as fun an experience as yours.

Archived