Ben paints the Silver Tower

Ben Johnson

Hi all,

Over what I imagine will be the next six months ? I'm planing on painting up my copy of Warhammer Quest Silver Tower. I'm looking for minimum effort but maximum effect, so lots expect to see lots of washes, glazes and other 'cheats' that I will share here as I go along. 

I started with the bases and looking at all kinds of different options for these (see below for that thread and thanks to everyone who added there own basing ideas) in the end I went with the nice and simple paint the sand blue opinion with added details, gold coins, scrolls etc.

When I started painting I went with the with the smallest models in the set, the Brimstone Horror. I sprayed them Corax White and used Lamenters Yellow over the whole model, then added multiple layers of red, purple and black washes or glazes over smaller and smaller areas. The best thing about this method is it's very little painting time the thing that adds the time is drying time, so I did these layers in between painting Stormcast. Finally a highlight of Palid Wych Flesh where ever it was needed, teeth, eyes etc.  

On to the photos.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Next up the Blue Horrors. I used the same technique as with the Brimstones Horrors but with Guilliman blue with thinned washes and glazes of red, purple then black going out on the arms and tentacles.

The jewellery and gems where painted using the new metallic paints, big fan of these, but more of this next time. The faces and detail again highlighted with Palid Wych Flesh. The gold coins are made from thin slices of rolled out green stuff, this takes a bit of time to prepare but once done makes for a cool effect. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So far I think there is about two hours painting time involved but that includes learning a new (new to me anyway) technique with all the glazing and making a tone of tiny coins.

Hope you like them, Pink Horrors are next. 

Pink ones all finished, these guys are BIG! 

Again simple techniques of washes and glaze (red, purple and black, with a little thinned blue in the recess of the muscles) over Corax whites base coat for the skin with fine/sharp lines of Palid Wych flesh to finish them off.

Fulgrim Copper and the new gloss shade with a quick Stormhost silver highlight on the jewellery, the new metallics are great paints to use, great coverage and they are really bright and shiny. Just what you want from a metallic paint.

The knife was Stormhost silver and two coats of gloss Nuln oil, the gloss shades seem to be a little thinner than the regular version and 'spread out' more.

They were finished off with the red gemstone paint, 80% of a great gemstone for zero effort, exactly what I'm looking for. I will add some coins to the base with the next batch I paint. Need to pick up some black spray tomorrow so I can make a start on the Grots.

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Archived