Wanderer+Sylvaneth Questions

DioRa

So most of my AoS experience is with playing a pure Skaven army of doom, which has been quite durable thanks to a block of 40 stormvermin with stacked mystic shields, Banner chieftain etc. But since that army is nearing completion I've turned my eyes on the Order faction and set my sight on the wood elves, which are now split into wanderers and sylvaneth mostly.

I'd like to build an army with both of them. A solid shooting block of waywatcher and eternal guard with sisters of the thorn being the 3 warscrolls that I'll most likely use from the wanderers to support the sylvaneth. Now we can all agree that this army snaps quite easily like a stick, we need the cover for a lot of great bonuses and the extra 1+ to our saves. At first I thought the most logical way to ensure cover is by sylvaneth wyldwoods. Getting them on the table would involve either Durthu or the sylvaneth battalion. But while reading the rules of the woods I found a problem for my wanderers, they all lack the sylvaneth keyword, meaning those wyldwoos that I'd like to camp in for the bonuses will end up hurting me a lot! Magic is vital in AoS and running is also important to units like the eternal guard (also hornblowers help us with running), yet both these actions will have terrible consequences for our wanderer units that will try to seek shelter in the woods. I really fear that units of 5 waywatchers will just die to the woods themselves rather than to the enemy!

So my first question to the more experienced wanderer/sylvaneth players here is, how do you play with the sylvaneth wyldwoos and wanderer allies. Is it worth the risk, or do you end up dead mostly by your own hand?

I actually overlooked this rule about wild woods and wanderers. Which makes them pretty useless as bunkers for woodies. There is a batalltion formation which gives the elves a 4+ ward save against the effects of terrain which does mitigate this somewhat.

That said, they do make a pretty decent defensive position, most wise opponents won't charge a unit in a wildwood unless desperate.

Always take glade guard in units of around 30 with a nomad prince parked nearby, it makes their shooting devastatingly accurate and when this is combined with their once per game ability it really puts the hurt on large units of heavy infantry and cavalry. Especially if that unit subsequently takes battle shock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, though not entirely related - highly recommend 10 wild riders accompanied by Orion (if you can find one on eBay?!) and a spellsinger on pure breed steed. Bringing back d3 models (irrespective of wounds) with her spell, combined with Orions ignoring battle shock is mental powerful. My absolute fave combo. Preferably supported by sisters of thorn if poss. Murder.

Also another rules question about the wyldwoods. Roused by magic, does that trigger when a spellcaster is with 6" of the wood casting the spell, or does it trigger when the target of the spell is within 6". Let's say I park a unit of eternal guard within the wyldwood for the cover bonus and have a spellcaster sittig 10" away from the wyldwood. The spellcaster casts mystic shield on the eternal guard there, does the roused by magic trigger? Yes or no?

Then another question about the command ability of Durthu, tree singing. It says you need to place the woods 6" away from any other model, do terrain pieces count as model pieces? Because if there are effects that remove models from the game it usually is about the figure models and never terrain involved with that term.

Archived